+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: michael and Kathy

Michael and Kathy

From the official TAR 3 Website:

Michael and Kathy met a year and a half ago in Cancun, Mexico. They have kept in touch and maintained a long-distance dating relationship; however, they have never spent more than five days together at a time. Their primary motivation for going on the Race is to see how compatible they are as a couple.

What struck Kathy about Michael were the provocative questions he asked her on their last night in Cancun, when they spent 12 hours together talking and getting to know one another. This was enough to prove to Kathy that Michael is a genuine person worthy of maintaining a long-distance friendship.

Kathy and Michael are polar opposites. Kathy is more high-strung under pressure and Michael is very laid back. Michael describes himself as unconventional, amusing and dark, while Kathy describes herself as moody, caring and oversensitive. They both agree that their different personalities complement each other well.

Michael has done quite a bit of traveling throughout Mexico, England, France, Holland, Spain and Canada, while Kathy has been to Mexico, the Philippines and Canada. The most important item in his backpack is his CD player, because he feels that music will change any mood into a good one. Her most valuable item is her journal.

Michael resides in San Diego and lives with his cat, Tig. His birth date is May 30. Kathy lives in Birmingham, Michigan. Her birth date is December 4.

Q & A:

How would you describe your previous travel experience?
    Michael: I'm well traveled, with experience dealing with numerous cultures.
    Kathy: Most of my travels have been within the United States. Outside of that, the only countries I have visited are Mexico, Canada and the Philippines.

What is the most stressful aspect of traveling?
    Michael: The time between stepping off a plane or train and finding some place to spend the night.
    Kathy: Adjusting to different climates and time zones other than my "normal" seems to put me in a funk for a day or so.

What is the most important item in your backpack, and why?
    Michael: My CD player and CDs. Music gives me power and can turn any mood I'm in into a good one.
    Kathy: My empty journal seems value-less right now, but once I am able to write about my travels, it will be the one item in my backpack that will be of worth to me. That, and my hairclip!

Why did you want to be on THE AMAZING RACE?
    Michael: I'm a sucker for a free vacation.
    Kathy: The Race has a lot of great elements that I find appealing: competing, traveling, and working as a Team with my teammate Michael.

Have you and your partner traveled together before? If so, what was it like?
    Michael: We've been to different locations in the states and have always had a good time.
    Kathy: We actually met while we were both on our travels. Michael and I live on different. coasts, so the only way to see each other was to travel. We've been to Cancun and various states. It's always like a great mini-vacation.

What do you fear most about competing in THE AMAZING RACE?
    Michael: Losing to a couple of squares.
    Kathy: Initially, it was to be the first Team eliminated on the Race. Deep down I truly don't feel that we will be; however, to get past the first leg of the Race will take off a lot of anxiety for me.

What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?
    Michael: I bring travel experience, levity and unabashed confidence to the Team. I have no weaknesses.
    Kathy: I am a people person for the most part, which will help in communicating with different people. However, when under pressure I can tend to be a bit high-strung and become moody.

What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?
    Michael: She brings salesmanship and a cute face to the Team. Men go out of their way to help her, and we'll use that obtaining directions and other help when needed. Like myself, she has no weaknesses.
    Kathy: Michael is very patient and always stays calm in any given situation, which will help me calm down. A very good sedative. Having said that, sometimes I wish I could jolt him up a bit to get him more energized.

What will you miss the most from home (besides your bed)?
    Michael: My cat Tig (aka Li'l Baller).
    Kathy: The actual comfort of home, from home-cooked meals to taking a shower. Just being.

What languages do you speak?
    Michael: English, decent Spanish.
    Kathy: Other than English, none fluently.

What destination are you hoping to visit?
    Michael: Egypt: the pyramids
    Kathy: Bali: I want to confirm all the hype. And any part of Europe, since I've never been.

What country do you feel best prepared for?
    Michael: Mexico, seeing that I spent half a year traveling it.
    Kathy: I can't say I'm prepared best for any given country. If I had to pick a region, then I'd say Asia/South Asia. Being Asian may be an asset in those countries, so that could be advantage to me. Additionally, my travel experience in the Philippines, although many years ago, has not been forgotten.
    Last edited by lobeck; 10-17-2002 at 10:38 AM.

Hmmmm, this will be a real test for their relationship having only previously spent five days together at any one time.

It is good to see Asain people starting to become represented in reality shows too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    Yes, let's hope they get to spend more than 5 days together on this trip so they can find out whether or not they are really compatible.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think they're a rather sweet couple.

I find his goatee/soul patch combo a little annoying but it really is only a mild distraction.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I can't decide on these two. I think she might wind up bugging me, but I have no basis for that comment
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Me too, Cali. I didn't see them much.

I agree.
    I think I'll like him but get annoyed by her as she seems to have the potential to get a little whiny.

I like them on this limited showing though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think the opposite. I like Kathy, but Michael bugs me a little bit.

No skydiving, no waverunners, could barely swim! Michael is kind of a wuz, but for some reason, I still like him. Must be the underdog thing. I'm not sure if I like Kathy yet. She hasn't really shown much emotions.

JR.
    Originally posted by Wolf
    No skydiving, no waverunners, could barely swim! Michael is kind of a wuz, ....
    Maybe that's why he has that silly facial hair, so he can at least look tough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast