+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: 11/19 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2149940;
    To answer your question on the ages, Erwin is 32 and Godwin is 29.
    I'm surprised. I would have expected them to be younger based on their sheltered views. They can chalk this up to "live and learn" "older and wiser" etc. You can have some street smarts without being jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by stickle;2149838;
    I find it so tiresome how racism gets thrown into every little situation.

*snip*

I'll guarantee you, in this troubled world, the police force wouldn't have been friendly and invited them to go for donuts if two strangers blasted into a blocked off, secure area.
    [mod edit] It's a real problem. The country also has a history of being invaded by Mongolia, and so, often it's specifically directed against people who look just like the Cho bros.

In any case: I was just wondering out loud if that might've had anything to do with it, and it involved more than just their being stopped by police. It seemed no one wanted to help them. Suddenly no cabbies knew how to get anywhere? I was relieved they finally got to at least the music conservatory, but all that plus their misplaced chivalry waiting on the 'Lyns cost them the race.

I disagree also that they 'blasted' in anywhere. They started to take a wrong turn, and told the police so. But not to get into this further - we disagree, but that's the beauty of having opinions. [mod edit]
    Last edited by Mariner; 11-22-2006 at 10:02 AM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2151525;
    [mod edit] It's a real problem. The country also has a history of being invaded by Mongolia, and so, often it's specifically directed against people who look just like the Cho bros.
    Mongolia is nowhere near Ukraine, so i don't think they'd be as much racism towards people who look more oriental asian (ie Chos). actually, Ukraine is nowhere near Asia

plus, i've noticed that cabbies waiting at airports to know locations better than those you pick up on the street
    Last edited by hepcat; 11-22-2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: quoted post was edited originally

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *CaT*;2151557;
    plus, i've noticed that cabbies waiting at airports to know locations better than those you pick up on the street
    That's probably not an accident. In lots of places cabs need a special permit to pick up passengers from airports. Of course, many countries like to put their best foot forward with regards to foreigners. After all, if I came to, say, the Ukraine and I came back with a horror story about the cabs, I wouldn't go back and probably tell my friends to avoid the country as well.

(Off-topic: An example of one silly incident having big effects. Supposedly an American CEO was visiting the Philippines in the late 1980s when a power failure hit and he got stuck in an elevator. He didn't come back to the country for almost a decade - and neither did his company.)

The point is there are probably special requirements for the taxis that get passengers from airports. The ability to speak English, have a nicer cab, that sort of thing. All things considered, the airport cab drivers probably are better ones than those you just flag down on the street.

+ Reply to Thread