+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Do They Control Crowds?

How Do They Control Crowds?

I thought I'd already posted this but I don't see it, so . . .

Another thread got me thinking . . .

TAR is so popular now, how do they control crowds that would gather around locations where TAR flags are present? Surely, in the US and Canada at least, people would notice and hang around. Especially if Phil was waiting at the mat. Yet you never see these people.

Additionally, what about the clue boxes? Wouldn't fans be drawn to them and stand around watching and waiting? (In some cases, giving away their presence?)
    What?! Am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness View Post
    TAR is so popular now, how do they control crowds that would gather around locations where TAR flags are present? Surely, in the US and Canada at least, people would notice and hang around. Especially if Phil was waiting at the mat. Yet you never see these people.

Additionally, what about the clue boxes? Wouldn't fans be drawn to them and stand around watching and waiting? (In some cases, giving away their presence?)
    I'd love to know if anyone has the official answer (the logistics of The Amazing Race fascinate me), but if I had to guess, logically it seems like they must have a fair amount of security around the clue boxes and the pit stops to keep non-racers away. I would also guess that Phil isn't standing around and only comes out to stand on the mat a few minutes before each team arrives (the production crews all have cell phones and from reading Phil's blogs on the CBS site, he gets information during the race on where the teams are, what they're doing etc.). Except for TAR8 (the family edition), they rarely do anything in the U.S. (with the exception of the beginning and the end of the race), so maybe they don't have as many problems in other countries that might not be as familiar with the show. I lived in N.J. during the time that the family edition was being filmed and I heard on the radio one night, during the evening rush hour, that traffic in South Jersey was affected by TAR filming (nowhere near me....otherwise I might have been tempted to go check it out!).

For some interesting trivia, etc., check out (if you haven't done so already): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race

It shows that only 20 U.S. States have been visited by TAR, but of that 20, half were visited only during the family edition (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming). Eight other states contained either the starting or finishing line: New York (starting and finishing line for TAR1 and TAR8); Nevada (starting line for TAR2); California (starting line for TAR4, TAR5 and TAR7; finishing line for TAR2); Florida (starting line for TAR3; finishing line for TAR7); Washington (finishing line for TAR3); Arizona (finishing line for TAR4); Texas (finishing line for TAR5); Illinois (starting and finishing line for TAR6); and Colorado (starting and finishing line for TAR9). The only other two States to be visited during a non-family edition season, but not be part of the starting or finishing line, are Alaska and Hawaii.

I would imagine there's an ahead team that sets up. All necessary paperwork and permission is done before anything even starts. It would be like filming a show on location. Security, set-ups for camera position and angles, sound, lighting, etc. All local people would be picked ahead of time, position with the envelopes, etc. The boxes are probably only put up the day/time of the actual event with security watching out of camera range.

With the amount of money involved, they wouldn't want any screw-ups along the way. Everything is within their control. Aside from crazy weather or a political uprising.

They did show some people watching in China around the brick-building site. They need to get the contestants in and out of the areas of competition quickly, without the delay of regular crowds. It's probably why some of it is done during the nighttime or early in the morning.

Thanks for the link!

Anyone know if any of the previous races went to Canada? I haven't watched them all.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

id like to see TAR have a leg in the upper peninsula, maybe rappell down miners castle on pictured rocks or something like that

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Anyone know if any of the previous races went to Canada? I haven't watched them all.
    I don't remeber what season it was. It had Niki and Alex, the Bowling moms, and some really huge jerk guy and his girlfriend on it as the final three teams. They had a leg of the race somewhere in BC.

I think I read some where that TAR costs 1 million dollars per episode.
    With that kind of money involved you know they have all the the location dialed in tight before any contetants show up. Also,
    I am sure ther is al ot of stuff that gets taped that we don't see, I am also sure they "redo" a lot of scenes with the contetestants.

I sure noticed a crowd last night. Not only at the brick scene, but I also saw some faces in the glass at Gold House.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pugdaddy View Post
    I am sure ther is al ot of stuff that gets taped that we don't see, I am also sure they "redo" a lot of scenes with the contetestants.
    i read somewhere they had to redo the start of the race for one season (ie the "ready set go" with the teams running to their bags)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post

They went to Banff (Calgary), Alberta in one episode and I believe there've been other Canadian locations.
    What?! Am I still here?

i am guessing that can't and that's why there are so many spoiler pics out there.......

+ Reply to Thread