+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TAR 10 - Peter & Sarah

That part with Sarah climbing the wall brought tears to my eyes, and also brought my teenage son to tears! He said it was like watching human torture. It just seemed so cruel and unfair. I know it's a game and that she knew what she was getting into and all that, but how could it feel good to beat her up that wall??

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I like Sarah well enough. Despite her leg they seem like a very strong team. Even though they've done Ironman I was still very impressed with them tonight. I was also happy for her and him when she finally made it up the wall. That was quite the scene and another reason I'm glad TAR did China first because otherwise we may not have seen that moment with her.
    Dr. Will: My BB champion!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    That's a complicated prosthesis if it involves hydraulics. I suppose it's the kind of equipment that's too expensive to have a spare or anything in your pack? I hope they get some sort of repair because that's really going to impact them.

I'm really glad CBS isn't giving them a saint edit. These two are competitors first, and disabled advocates second -- and it shows. I think it's appropriate for them to use Sarah's visible disability as an extra pull to get better airplane seats and cabs. They know they're going to be slowed down, so they need every advantage they can find. It's deliberate on their part that she's not wearing pants or trying to hide the prosthesis.
    I'm totally unfamiliar with this type of prosthesis, since my Dad's was so long ago that it was actually made to look like a real leg, but I'm just certain (well, almost) that she has a spare somewhere in the vicinity. I'm sure that they are terribly expensive, but I can't believe that an athlete wouldn't hav a spare. If nothing else, the company that made it would probably like the publicity enough to donate a spare. Things happen to any type of machinery and I can't believe that they wouldn't have foreseen the possibility.

I'm also not aware of where her amputation was. If it's above the knee, then that would be much more of a problem than below the knee. I just hope that it's fixable because I'd hate to see them have to drop out.

Also, someone mentioned that they wondered why she didn't just take the leg off. That would have been too dangerous as well as painful. The stump of the amputation is just bone, covered by skin as far as I know. Imagine slamming that against the wall a few times! Sort of like slamming your elbow against the wall.

The challenges for this team will be in the same vein as Charla and Mirna (sp?) but in the end, like with all teams, the will and competitiveness will prevail. This race is not always about physical strength, but ability to navigate the globe efficiently, pick the right roadblocks/detours and manage in foreign cultures. While I'm not always a proponent of playing the 'card', whatever that is for any team, I believe that for the most part, the best teams bubble to the top in this race.

That said, I am not a fan based on what appears to be their attitudes and comments, just like I would be with any team.

I'm not positive, but I thought she said, at the beginning of the episode, that she was born with one leg. It was in the early introduction pieces, perhaps I misheard.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I'm also not aware of where her amputation was. If it's above the knee, then that would be much more of a problem than below the knee. I just hope that it's fixable because I'd hate to see them have to drop out.
    If I remember correctly, it is not an amputation. She was born with one leg shorter than the other. She talked about it at the beginning of the show during the team intro.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

FORT Regular
    I'm totally unfamiliar with this type of prosthesis, since my Dad's was so long ago that it was actually made to look like a real leg, but I'm just certain (well, almost) that she has a spare somewhere in the vicinity. I'm sure that they are terribly expensive, but I can't believe that an athlete wouldn't hav a spare. If nothing else, the company that made it would probably like the publicity enough to donate a spare. Things happen to any type of machinery and I can't believe that they wouldn't have foreseen the possibility.

Also, someone mentioned that they wondered why she didn't just take the leg off. That would have been too dangerous as well as painful. The stump of the amputation is just bone, covered by skin as far as I know. Imagine slamming that against the wall a few times! Sort of like slamming your elbow against the wall.
    I'm not sure it was an amputation....I thought she said at the beginning of the show that she was born with one leg shorter than the other....which to me would mean she had a knee....but yet when they were showing the leg it looked like it was fitted above were a knee would be.

It was just above the knee, Muduh. Definitely not a good idea to take it off.

I was wondering why she didn't use it a little more strictly for balance. She didn't need to have used it to attempt to climb, but to keep her balanced and facing the wall it would have come in handy so she wasn't constantly spinning like she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wryle View Post
    If I remember correctly, it is not an amputation. She was born with one leg shorter than the other. She talked about it at the beginning of the show during the team intro.
    Oh, I didn't know that! I can't hear well, so I miss a LOT and especially if, for some reason, I can't see their mouth when they are talking. Now I'm very interested in what was done to make the prosthesis possible. Wonder if I can find a place to read about it?

No prob, Muduh! I caught a glimpse of her leg at one point, and it looks to be shorter than her knee and little or no muscle tissue. It was very skinny, but they fitted the prosthesis over it like with an amputation. If you find any info let me know. Maybe on the Animal Planet show mentioned earlier in the thread...?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

She did say that she was born with one leg shorter than the other, but I believe part of it was amputated in order to accomodate a prosthetic.

+ Reply to Thread