+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 265

Thread: TAR 10 - Peter & Sarah

  1. #111
    FORT Fan mulvajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    240
    [QUOTE=mish22;2085628]The problem I personally have with it, is not that it gives them an advantage. The thing that bugs me about it is I dont like when someone says they dont want to be treated differently because of their disability and can do anything anyone else can do but then uses that disability to play "weak" or garner sympathy when it is to their advantage or helps them gain something. It is highly hypocritical and fairly disgusting because you are allowing people to play into that sterotype.

    I feel the same way. I feel sarah is playing her "disability" to her advantage and it is not fair to the other contestants as her whole point of doing the race was to show that she is the "same" as a non-disabled person.

  2. #112
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Yes, but it has everything to do with winning 1 million dollars (at least I think that's how much it is.) I can't be mad at them.
    Compromise your character for money? :nono

    Maybe my moral standard is just too high but that's whats wrong with the world today...we'll do anything, say anything, lie, cheat and steal for money and put a high pricetag of a million on it and we're willing to do whatever it takes.

    Okay....I'll get off my soapbox now

  3. #113
    FORT Fan gemgirlco.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by mish22 View Post
    Compromise your character for money? :nono

    Maybe my moral standard is just too high but that's whats wrong with the world today...we'll do anything, say anything, lie, cheat and steal for money and put a high pricetag of a million on it and we're willing to do whatever it takes.

    Okay....I'll get off my soapbox now

    I agree with you. I think a truly wise, and capable person can earn a million without cheating, lying and stealing. That person can be respected, proud of their accomplishment and can sleep soundly at night.

    Okay...I'll get off the soupbox now too.


    Thanks ya'll have a great day!

  4. #114
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,011
    Unfortunately, the rules do not preclude anything they are doing. The idea is to win the game...that's why they are there. Different folks have different reasons for doing what they do.

    I don't judge them. It's not my place.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  5. #115
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    128
    prhoshay...you're not getting it...whether or not they are breaking the rules is not the point...

  6. #116
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,011
    For this game........yes it is. We can agree to disagree.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #117
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    For this game........yes it is. We can agree to disagree.
    okay.......but your response has nothing to do with my point...it's not about the race, it is a question of character...my original post:

    Quote Originally Posted by mish22 View Post
    The problem I personally have with it, is not that it gives them an advantage. The thing that bugs me about it is I dont like when someone says they dont want to be treated differently because of their disability and can do anything anyone else can do but then uses that disability to play "weak" or garner sympathy when it is to their advantage or helps them gain something. It is highly hypocritical and fairly disgusting because you are allowing people to play into that sterotype. I had a friend who lost a full leg in Vietnam. He never used a wheel chair but prefered to walk like the rest of us (with crutches, he did not have a prothesis) and he was so determined not to be treated differently even in the little things. For example, he wouldnt take a seat on the subway if someone offered it because he really didnt need it! Now that is someone who - in my opinion - can be respected and admired. He is actually helping to change people's perceptions of what someone with a disability is capable of - not perpetuating those mis-conceptions by encouraging perople to feel sorry for them when they need something. It's just morally wrong, it has nothing to do with the race.

  8. #118
    CEO
    CEO is offline
    Mark 1 Mod 0 CEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    818
    @mish22: What prhoshay is trying to say, I think, is that if they aren't breaking the rules perhaps it isn't a matter of character at all and perhaps they aren't 'compromising' it in the first place. According to the producers of the Amazing Race, they aren't doing anything 'wrong'. It is only your opinion that they are compromising their character and it is only your opinion that they are doing it for money. If you are unwilling or unable to convince everyone here to agree with you or if you are unwilling or unable to adopt the opinions of everyone else as your own, then the only way for us all to get along is agree to disagree.

    On that note: people 'compromise' their character everyday for money. What do you do for a living? I know I have bad days and do things at work that I wish I weren't doing sometimes. Sometimes I even have to keep my big mouth shut in the corporate environment so I can get along. I suspect that most of us here 'compromise' our character for money on a daily basis.

    ...and for the record, missing a leg is NEVER an advantage. I don't care how tough she is, she isn't 'getting over' by only having five toes.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  9. #119
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    @mish22: What prhoshay is trying to say, I think, is that if they aren't breaking the rules perhaps it isn't a matter of character at all and perhaps they aren't 'compromising' it in the first place. According to the producers of the Amazing Race, they aren't doing anything 'wrong'. It is only your opinion that they are compromising their character and it is only your opinion that they are doing it for money. If you are unwilling or unable to convince everyone here to agree with you or if you are unwilling or unable to adopt the opinions of everyone else as your own, then the only way for us all to get along is agree to disagree.

    On that note: people 'compromise' their character everyday for money. What do you do for a living? I know I have bad days and do things at work that I wish I weren't doing sometimes. Sometimes I even have to keep my big mouth shut in the corporate environment so I can get along. I suspect that most of us here 'compromise' our character for money on a daily basis.

    ...and for the record, missing a leg is NEVER an advantage. I don't care how tough she is, she isn't 'getting over' by only having five toes.
    Okay...for the record, I dont expect everyone to agree or disagree with me or anyone else. I dont agree with everything any one person has to say anyway. I wasnt trying to get into an argument... I said in my post I didnt have an issue with her using it for an advantage in the race...maybe you guys are just missing that.

    By using your disability for gain ANYWHERE you are perpetuating misconceptions of people with disabilities...and I just cant admire and respect someone who does that. It's like your allowing people to discriminate against you...when it suits your purpose. It has nothing to do with keeping in the rules of the race but more to do with life in general. Maybe it's because I had somene very close to me who worked hard to abolish those misconceptions that I see this as being pretty gross.

    Having said that, when you would do something in the race (because you want to win the million) that you would never consider doing outside of the race, I think it is a question of character. Would Sarah use that method to hail a cab in NY? I really dont think so....but then again, maybe she would.

    To answer your question, I am in a profession where I make a pretty decent amount of money, but money is NEVER worth compromising my character for, even in the days that I didnt make a lot. I truly believe that taking the higher road has blessed me beyond anything I could have revcieved by using the wrong methods....it just took me a lot longer to get there!!

    and for the record....I NEVER said missing a leg was an advantage so please dont insinuate that because then you are not being fair.
    Last edited by mish22; 09-29-2006 at 02:27 PM.

  10. #120
    FORT Regular kitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    vancouver, bc canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    137
    Mish22, I agree with you. Maybe we should never be on TAR. It irkes me to see them wanting to be treated the same as everyone else and then asking for special treatment. I could never imagine what it is like to lose a leg. I do not run triathalons now with two legs, so kutos to Sarah. There is just something that rubs me the wrong way that they expect to have it both ways. JMHO.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.