+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TAR 10 - David & Mary

I like that they represent the ordinary people that we all say we want to see on TAR. They may not represent a large section of KY anymore that a movie star represents a large section of CA, but they are interesting and loving toward each other and we now know that Mary is a hugger - LOL. I hope they stay in the race for a while because they are such innocents as far as world travel is concerned that their eye view will be very refreshing. I'm looking forward to watching them for as long as they are racing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I can't help liking them. The fact they've never been out of their home state is kind of heartwarming somehow. It might be nice to see all the scenery through their unjaded eyes. I do kind of notice the way he makes her do everything, though. Most of the other male/female teams, the male ate the fish eyes. Chivalry must have died in their marriage.

(I'm just kidding. I'm not sure Sir Walter Raleigh thought of that one.)
    Last edited by Brandy; 09-19-2006 at 01:22 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I can't help liking them. The fact they've never been out of their home state is kind of heartwarming somehow. It might be nice to see all the scenery through their unjaded eyes. I do kind of notice the way he makes her do everything, though. Most of the other male/female teams, the male ate the fish eyes. Chivalry must have died in their marriage.

(I'm just kidding. I'm not sure Sir Walter Raleigh thought of that one.)
    I like them. I love that they're not typical reality show contestants (i.e.beautiful,thin,super successful and/or ivy league educated).In the extra video clips on CBS.com,they seem to get along well with the other teams.And abusive? PUH-LEASE! If telling each other to shut up once in a while is considered abusive,then my husband and I would need some serious marriage counceling.
    I like that they represent the ordinary people that we all say we want to see on TAR. They may not represent a large section of KY anymore that a movie star represents a large section of CA, but they are interesting and loving toward each other and we now know that Mary is a hugger - LOL. I hope they stay in the race for a while because they are such innocents as far as world travel is concerned that their eye view will be very refreshing. I'm looking forward to watching them for as long as they are racing.
    All of those reasons above are reasons why I can't outright not like this team. I don't ever have a problem with the models, actors, or Hollywood types this show has casted in the past, as long as they're interesting. I just want an entertaining cast and we've seen normal everyday people be as exciting as paint drying just like we've seen the recruited wannabes be as entertaining as a potato chip. But it's nice to see these types of teams that were some of the first types of everyday contestants to get casted on the show. These guys don't really fit the cookie cutter mold that this show has fallen into regarding casting. They're bickering doesn't bother me (those couples don't usually) because it's their dynamic and it's better than every couple acting all lovey dovey and supportive of each other. That would get a little boring. I love that these two are out of their element and I think that's where the bickering comes from more than anything else, not that they aren't supportive or in love. They aren't big favorites of mine, but I wouldn't mind them sticking around, either. There's a couple of other teams I want to see gone before them.

MRD
    I liked this team, but had a problem with the whole "man in charge thing". But the South is considered the Bible Belt and a LOT of churches preach that the man IS the head of the household and makes the decisions and the wife is to be submissive to the husband. Yes, its true. Even in 2006.

This is the part I hate about the South (and I LOVE being from the South) and this is the part I hate about some Christian denominations (makes me like my very tolerant, progressive church more).

That said, I could get tired of this couple quick, but right now, I kind of like them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    ???? What in the world gave you the impression that David is abusive to Mary? Or are you saying that it's occurring in reverse, as Mary is definitely more abusive, per se, than David is.
    I agree. It seem to remember David standing at the top of the wall, shouting down "I love you". Mary muttered something like "yeah, right." I can't recall specifically, but there were a few other incidents where I thought Mary was a bit hostile toward David.
    What?! Am I still here?

I'm am still giggling over these two. When Mary found out about the pageant queens, youd've thought she won the lottery. I think these two will be middle of the pack finishers.
    Last edited by speedbump; 09-19-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    This is my thinking too. At last, ordinary people!

Someone mentioned that David said that he loved her and she made a sarcastic reply. That person would not want to hang with my husband and me for long. Sarcasm is alive and well, around here.

As far as her having to eat the fish eyes, that would be my job too. My husband would have to forfeit along about then unless I stepped up to the plate.

I hope they get to stay for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I liked this team, but had a problem with the whole "man in charge thing". But the South is considered the Bible Belt and a LOT of churches preach that the man IS the head of the household and makes the decisions and the wife is to be submissive to the husband. Yes, its true. Even in 2006.
    I think that may be why she's so huggy with other men and dismissive of her husband - sublimated frustrated rage. I can't imagine anyone with any sense (either common or of identity) living in a situation where someone else was essentially their master and not resenting the hell out of that master. Personally, I would be hugging, kissing and eventually...never mind that...every man I met that wasn't my "master". Tsk.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I think that may be why she's so huggy with other men and dismissive of her husband - sublimated frustrated rage. I can't imagine anyone with any sense (either common or of identity) living in a situation where someone else was essentially their master and not resenting the hell out of that master. Personally, I would be hugging, kissing and eventually...never mind that...every man I met that wasn't my "master". Tsk.
    Actually, there are a lot of churches in our "neck of the woods" (see, I can sound like a yokel if I want to) that still teach that, to some degree. Heck, you should have seen my pastor's face at a recent meeting when I asked him why we didn't have women pastors, deacons, etc. If you don't know, look to Timothy (I have some problems with the interpretation, but that's a different matter).

Eastern Ky. is definitely the backwoods of our entire Commonwealth. Its like Amazing Race thought, "Hmm....the entire country thinks Ky. has a bunch of yokels. Let's give em what they want!" I wonder if Northern Californians were receptive to the Hippies being their representatives last year?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

When I was in college, I took a gender-related anthropology course, and we read an article that I wish I still had, about Appalachian women "backtalking" men. It was about how women in the Appalachian mountains, rather than actually being submissive, were not afraid to talk back to their men. I think it had been written a number of years ago, but in my experience growing up in Appalachia, the article was right -- out of numerous aunts, grandmothers, other relatives, and friends of mine, very few are not strong, sassy women, especially when it comes to dealing with their husbands. My own grandmother would go out of her way to disagree with my grandfather -- they bickered all the time, and it was just how they got along.

My point is, that's where I see Mary (and Pike County, KY is definitely Appalachia) as coming from -- she might SAY she believes a woman is supposed to be submissive, but I thought it was clear from her behavior in just the first episode that she might let David be the breadwinner, but he's not the one in charge in that family.
    Last edited by Lucy; 09-21-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread