+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ratings Down

Wow...evidently there's no pleasing people who claim to be fans of TAR.

That's how it feels reading this thread.

1) The Family Edition was an attempt at brand extension--just like "Trading Spaces Family"--and, had it worked, it might have increased the fan base for the show. I think the producers were surprised at how different a show is when you double the amount of participants...and even with the cost cutting measures of not going anywhere interesting, it was far too expensive to just shelve...

That said...was it REALLY as horrible as we're making it out to be? Sure, they barely left the country...and sure, 90% of us hated the Weavers...and sure, 70% of us couldn't name a Godlewski if our lives depended on it...but I'd rather watch TAR Family Edition than Fear Factor.

2) Changing the rules of the race--eliminating the Yield, bringing back every episode Fast Forwards, somehow eliminating equalizers... OK, we've all discussed these elements ad nauseum over the years here on the FORT.

The thing we have to remember is that THIS ISN'T A SPORTING EVENT, THIS IS A TELEVISION SHOW.

The Yield is there to create interteam drama--which, based on the amount of FORT discussion any time teams start disliking each other, tends to increase people's interest in the show.

As much as all of us who dream about being on the show say "I'd run the perfect race, my partner and I would get along perfectly, we wouldn't fight with anyone, we'd be nice to little children and animals"--those are the very things that will guarantee that we will never be on the show...and spiteful, small-minded, quick tempered, poor decision making, overly emotional people will always spark furious message board discussions amongst TAR fans watching them...

Does the Yield increase my interest in the show? Not really...it isn't terribly strategic, most teams avoid using it...and it hasn't come into play in an interesting way (and, heavens forbid if it ever does...and a team loses because of the Yield--these boards would EXPLODE.) However, I don't think that it has any relationship to ratings being down...nor do I think that ratings would go up if you got rid of it...

The Fast Forward on every leg was making the show nearly too expensive to continue to produce--it was wasted money on most of the legs. I agree, it doesn't work only having one or two...and the show misses having the option, but I don't need to have it, if it meant risking not having a TAR produced at all.

The "equalizers" are also a cost saving measure--and they're also there to make certain that each leg of the race is competitive. Again, sure...if WE were racing, we'd want to get a huge lead that no one could ever chase us down. That would be an AWFUL show to watch... And, this is the 9th year...and there have been equalizers on every episode for the past 8 seasons...I'd think that we'd be USED to them by now.

I also think that we have to trust the leg designers with a very difficult job...to think of every contingency that might throw the race completely out of balance--and over 9 seasons, I think they've done a damn good job in ensuring that every episode has moments of tension and drama (or at least a facsimile of tension and drama can be found in the editing room...)

I do think that there are things they could do to bring more drama to the show--things that they've eliminated to make their own lives easier in producing the show that aren't as fun to watch...the shift to more and more "get to the airport to sign up for one of three flights to your destination" just isn't as fun as "figure out how to get yourselves to this place." And I'd still rather give teams a clue that says "go to the Mercedes Benz main corporate office" rather than one that says "Fly to Frankfurt, take a train to Stuutgard, take a cab to this address which is the Mercedes Benz main corporate office."--but, again, we're seeing that the show really isn't about the race...it's really more about the relationship between team members and between teams to the other teams.

3) Change who makes up the teams?

This is where I'm convinced that we'll never be happy. I mean, a couple of seasons ago, we were complaining that every team were models or actors, that they were all young and attractive...that there weren't enough "real" people on the show.

I like the fact that Nerdy Dave is still in the race. Would you who want to eliminate "out of shape people" have left him race? How about Chip--who wasn't exactly svelte? Or Gus?

As far as older couples go, I don't think you can ever discount an older couple ever since Teri & Ian got as far as they did... It isn't always about running to a pitstop (although, THAT was sure fun for the ending of TAR 2, wasn't it?)

I don't envy the casting director for this show--you want personalities that will cause friction, but you don't want teams that completely turn the audience off...you want good looking athletic people but you don't want this, one of the most populist of all reality shows, to be another Hollywood elite program...you want to cast a variety of different teams, but how many "differences" are there...especially when if you cast a "gay team" they become "the gay team." I mean, we'd never had "pseudo-hippies" before this season...but how many other easily definable character types are left unchosen?

And the bottom line for me is...I like The Amazing Race. I don't mind debating the decisions that are made, I don't even mind suggesting improvements or getting annoyed with how people race or act while on the show... But I'm watching. I'm watching every week.

Don't go changin' to try and please me, Amazing Race.
    pg--seattle

Leo
    Premium Member
    I have to agree that casting TAR is almost impossibly difficult. The problem is it's not easy to predict just how people will react to going on a race around the world. It's something sufficiently foreign from anything anyone is likely to do outside of the show.

Take, for example, Fran and Barry. On paper, if you were going to cast the "token old team", they're not such a bad choice. Sure, they'll never win any physical challenges, but they're alright. Travel experience, good life story... sign them up! But who knew they could make such mind-numbingly bad decisions? It's the sort of stuff you really can't predict.

Overall, I think the casting is as good as it can be. Certainly, it's better than a few seasons ago where it was model-and-wannabe-actor dominated - and over most reality shows in general.

this from the edmonton sun:

"The Amazing Race has hit a serious ratings speedbump in the U.S., slipping below 10 million viewers a week. It is easy to blame the late Tuesday timeslot. This is a show that, at its best, was fun for the entire family. Kids would especially love this cartoon cast filled with hippies and nerds. The late start is killing this Race.

That's not the only problem. Tuesday's edition was one big infomercial. A string of product placements, from airlines to German luxury cars to Internet travel gnomes, was ad overkill. Greedy CBS may be killing this golden goose."

i think it needs to go back to 9 o clock........

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post

1) The Family Edition was an attempt at brand extension--just like "Trading Spaces Family"--and, had it worked, it might have increased the fan base for the show. I think the producers were surprised at how different a show is when you double the amount of participants...and even with the cost cutting measures of not going anywhere interesting, it was far too expensive to just shelve...

That said...was it REALLY as horrible as we're making it out to be? Sure, they barely left the country...and sure, 90% of us hated the Weavers...and sure, 70% of us couldn't name a Godlewski if our lives depended on it...but I'd rather watch TAR Family Edition than Fear Factor.
    Yeah, it was that bad for me. I stopped watching before the halfway point. I've never done that with any other season, and I didn't care for any of the teams - also a first for me.

2) Changing the rules of the race--eliminating the Yield, bringing back every episode Fast Forwards, somehow eliminating equalizers... OK, we've all discussed these elements ad nauseum over the years here on the FORT.

The thing we have to remember is that THIS ISN'T A SPORTING EVENT, THIS IS A TELEVISION SHOW.

The Yield is there to create interteam drama--which, based on the amount of FORT discussion any time teams start disliking each other, tends to increase people's interest in the show.

Does the Yield increase my interest in the show? Not really...it isn't terribly strategic, most teams avoid using it...and it hasn't come into play in an interesting way (and, heavens forbid if it ever does...and a team loses because of the Yield--these boards would EXPLODE.) However, I don't think that it has any relationship to ratings being down...nor do I think that ratings would go up if you got rid of it...

The "equalizers" are also a cost saving measure--and they're also there to make certain that each leg of the race is competitive. Again, sure...if WE were racing, we'd want to get a huge lead that no one could ever chase us down. That would be an AWFUL show to watch... And, this is the 9th year...and there have been equalizers on every episode for the past 8 seasons...I'd think that we'd be USED to them by now.
    As far as I can remember, the Yield has been useless (when it's even been used). I don't think it's added any drama.

And, I don't think people are saying get rid of equilizers completely. We know they are needed. The problem is that there seems to be a lot more in recent seasons. One or two per episode would be fine.

And I'd still rather give teams a clue that says "go to the Mercedes Benz main corporate office" rather than one that says "Fly to Frankfurt, take a train to Stuutgard, take a cab to this address which is the Mercedes Benz main corporate office."--but, again, we're seeing that the show really isn't about the race...it's really more about the relationship between team members and between teams to the other teams.
    They did that in earlier seasons, and the show seemed better, it added another element. The race is, or was, a big part of it. Lots of folks comment on the scenery and the places they are sent. That's another reason the family edition was not liked as much, they really didn't go anywhere exciting..

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cafegirl View Post
    Wow, that hurts, old couples are those in their 'late 40's '! I guess I'm not willing to admit I'm 'old' yet and I fit in that general category! :
    LOL, sorry I meant an older couple thats in shape, 40's 50's or 60's.

Only because most are in 20's and 30's
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    As far as I can remember, the Yield has been useless (when it's even been used). I don't think it's added any drama.
    I had a crazy idea last night that would solve a lot of the problems people were having with the yield: a "Yield All." Rather than hitting a particular team, a team using the "Yield All" could force all teams behind them to stop, depending on the bunching of the teams behind them.

It works like this: Team I declares it's using the Yield. Once the next team (Team J) arrives, they start the hourglass (or countdown clock, or other device). If teams K, L, M, . . . arrive while the clock is going, they're stuck, too. Once the countdown runs out, all teams at the Yield can proceed. In addition, the whole thing happens anonymously--no pictures announcing who is yielded, or who did the yielding.

I think this gets rid of a number of problems. First, you don't have to worry about the possibility of retribution, since there's no way to target a specific team. Next, it adds in strategy, because it's no longer a matter of "Who's pissed us off the most this week?" Finally, it could create a lot of mischief when it's used, because it expands one lead and potentially collapses a bunch of other leads--which is exactly the sort of thing the TAR producers want, but have to gimmick through operating hours and flight schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    Wow...evidently there's no pleasing people who claim to be fans of TAR....

And the bottom line for me is...I like The Amazing Race. I don't mind debating the decisions that are made, I don't even mind suggesting improvements or getting annoyed with how people race or act while on the show... But I'm watching. I'm watching every week.

Don't go changin' to try and please me, Amazing Race.
    pg--seattle
    Great Post PG! I totally agree with you.

I never understand the failure to use a yield. There are only 2 or 3 on the entire race, and if you USE it, the chance of that team being in the race when the next one hits, or of being ahead of you and in a position to use it, are low. I would use that damn yield every opportunity I had.

Quote Originally Posted by chipnreichenfan View Post
    Why can't they cast an "in shape" old couple thats in their late 40's early 50's.
    They need more teams that are physically and emotionally fit to last the entire race.
    I understand what you are saying and agree with you, but expected the "old 40's and 50's" part to get you blasted by a lot of posters. I'm 47, but just laughed - in anticipation.

Well, in this case, I'm specifically talking about people who physically just can't handle it, not necessarily mentally. The token "old couple", the REALLY out-of-shape couples, etc.
    Well... some teams could surprise you.

Example, Whoever expected Meredith and Gretchen to make final 4?
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

+ Reply to Thread