+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ratings Down

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    All a matter of opinion. Considering I've always been in the minority with my likes/dislikes, then I'd really have no one to root for And remember Flo? I never would have imagined she would have made the final leg, let alone won the whole thing. Same thing for David/Jeff and Adam/Rebecca coming in third over some of the other teams. I will add no more cross casting from Survivor, Big Brother, or any other reality show out there (assuming CBS would actually use contestants from shows not on it's network).
    Well, in this case, I'm specifically talking about people who physically just can't handle it, not necessarily mentally. The token "old couple", the REALLY out-of-shape couples, etc. People who just physically will never be able to make it to the end of the race. They can go ahead and cast personalities all day long (although I reserve the right to mute the television when they're on).

I think John's exactly right. I really, really miss there being a Fast Forward every leg. That's what made the Fast Forward so strategic. You only got one so you had to decide if you wanted to try for it on a particular leg and then weigh the chances of wishing you hadn't gone for it earlier in a later leg. Now, why not go for it if you are the first to get the clue?

Remember when Nancy and Emily lost out on the Fast Forward to Joe and Bill? That was a really tense competition to see which team could get it and it was good tv. Since they've gone to one or two Fast Forwards it's been completely anticlamatic as to who is going to get it. It's whoever heads to the Fast Forward first.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Premium Member
    John is right about the family edition, I believe the 1st TAR season I watched was the one that Uchenna and Joyce won. I tuned into the next one which was the family one, I was excited to see it because the the 1st pit stop was here in Philly. That was the first episode, I made it one more episode and that was it. I can't even tell you who won that version? This current version is better, my worry is that the family edition may have "Jumped The Shark" for TAR.

Agree on the family edition. Also, going against Idol on the first night hurt them and the 10 p.m. slot isn't helping. I'm TiVoing, but I suspect there are a lot of people who would watch at 9 who can't watch at 10.

Oh no... Is the situation in the States that bad? I don't know about the ratings here though. Personally, I don't really dislike the family edition, but it was not that engaging. The current season, with the adorable hippies, is really not bad, so hope the ratings start climbing again.
    Hmm... I also missed the fast forward being there every leg. Besides testing the teams' decision making skills, it is also nice to see the fast forward being done. As for the 'lose all your money' thing, I always don't like it 'coz I don't like the teams being forced to beg for money.
    ~~ Failure is all but a detour to success~~

The family edition really tainted the show for me. I have not watched at all this season. I loved the show before that whole family mess. I guess I should still support it...but I just won't for some odd reason. I guess I feel betrayed. Don't mess with a good thing and don't play with your loyal fan base!

FORT Regular
    Has it ever really been determined who was actually responsible for the Family Edition? Was it CBS-mandated, or was it the idea of Bruckheimer and van Munster?

Also, TAR 9's ratings might not be as high as TAR 8's, but considering that it's winning its timeslot, it's not doing too badly. Also, since networks certainly don't consider all timeslots to be equal, we shouldn't necessarily get concerned over a (relatively) small drop in ratings.

The real question to ask is how is TAR doing relative to Close to Home and Judging Amy, its predecessors in the Tuesday 10 pm slot.

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    I really hope TAR picks up in the ratings. Doesn't sound bad but I do wish it was on at 9pm (maybe after American Idol goes down to 60 mins on Tuesdays)

Does anyone know if it is renewed for next season yet (hope so)
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Well, in this case, I'm specifically talking about people who physically just can't handle it, not necessarily mentally. The token "old couple", the REALLY out-of-shape couples, etc. People who just physically will never be able to make it to the end of the race. They can go ahead and cast personalities all day long (although I reserve the right to mute the television when they're on).
    I agree.

Why can't they cast an "in shape" old couple thats in their late 40's early 50's.
    They need more teams that are physically and emotionally fit to last the entire race.

Please no more Team Frosties...
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by lone1c View Post
    Has it ever really been determined who was actually responsible for the Family Edition? Was it CBS-mandated, or was it the idea of Bruckheimer and van Munster?

Also, TAR 9's ratings might not be as high as TAR 8's, but considering that it's winning its timeslot, it's not doing too badly. Also, since networks certainly don't consider all timeslots to be equal, we shouldn't necessarily get concerned over a (relatively) small drop in ratings.

The real question to ask is how is TAR doing relative to Close to Home and Judging Amy, its predecessors in the Tuesday 10 pm slot.
    From what I read about the family edition, it sounds like it was more CBS's idea than any of the producers or people associated with TAR. But that's not something officially confirmed.

Hmm, I guess I'm reading the ratings wrong because I thought it was being beat in it's timeslot. Regardless, I think it has taken a big hit in ratings. This season of TAR is averaging a little better than TAR4 did.

I guess again it's a matter of opinion and surprise there. Personally, yes, I want to see 11/12 teams who stand a realistic chance of winning and coping and who aren't just waiting to be eliminated. But there's been some teams in the past who didn't look like they stood a chance against some of the younger, more in shape teams and they've done just fine. As far as the older couples, I'm biased when I say this, but cast more like Dave/Margaretta and Bob/Joyce and fewer like Meredith/Gretchen and Fran/Barry. For a couple of old pairs, the first two I mentioned may have made it much farther than they did had it not been for bad luck (or a bad desicion in Bob/Joyce's case). I was very impressed with both of them, especially with Dave/Margaretta

+ Reply to Thread