+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Amazing Race" Is Not Family-Friendly

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    If they don't make a trip to Wall Drug, I will be very disappointed
    Very true! Just to make sure I have the memory, I went and bought two stuffed pheasants. Hey. Wall Drug and all the signs saying they have EVERYTHING.. I HAD to buy something off the wall. Pun intended, literally.

That would be a good challenge.. they have to go to Wall Drug and find [some oddball item].

I really don't mind the Family Edition at all. It's TAR and imo, it's the premise of the whole show that lures me in as a viewer. Not how many people are doing it, whether I can remember names or not..etc.. I think it's just great to watch people actually racing across country to win. It's just fun.

BUT, I will say that the destinations have been rather sub-par. I have traveled across the United States 12 times now. I just can't believe that out of all the fascinating things to learn about, see and experience.. that they'd choose log cutting, rowing a boat, trailer homes, going to a big chair, etc.. How sad that the producers can't force the viewers into seeing some really interesting, fun, exhilarating parts of the United States.

Every season of TAR there's something interesting and cool about another country that we are able to "see".. what in the world are the foreigners who are watching Family TAR thinking of our country!??
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler
    The only thing that may save this thing is if an entire family is forced to shave their heads.
    Hee! How about making that a roadblock, mandatory to complete or you go nowhere. I want to see all of them bald!!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDingo
    Boooo.

I like this season, almost moreso than the previous season BECAUSE there are more people. Although harder challenges and better scenery would be welcome, I am more interested in the relationships with other families, and the relationships of the individual members of each team. I don't know about you, but I can name every single racer, and what team they are from (with one tiny exception - I can't tell the frat boy Linz's apart. They are all the same). The people are so deverse that is makes up for the lack of scenic diversity.

Personally, I wouldn't mind them having another family edition of TAR. I don't see what the big fuss is about, really.
    I don't watch "big brother' because the whole show is based on that type of stuff. I like TAR for the "Big Adventure" aspect that is usually there, the logistic challenge of going plane to taxi to rickshaw to rental car, and the exotic locations where once you get out of the big city, it's like another world.
    Also, I enjoy watching how the various teams react under stress--if they were to make Family Tar as nerve-racking as usual, though, I would hate to see any children, even teenagers, subjected to it.
    I also miss the more difficult tasks, but there again, it would not be fair, and possibly--probably! not even insurable, to ask anyone underage to do anything like rappell into a cave, or even participate in an eating contest. (Do have to admit, I don't really miss the eating things, which I get a bellyache just watching!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

aly
    Boooo.

I like this season, almost moreso than the previous season BECAUSE there are more people. Although harder challenges and better scenery would be welcome, I am more interested in the relationships with other families, and the relationships of the individual members of each team.

Personally, I wouldn't mind them having another family edition of TAR. I don't see what the big fuss is about, really.
    I completely agree. I'm thoroughly enjoying this season, although the challenges are getting a bit monotonous. I'd like it if they could get some more difficult ones. But I understand that might be hard when there are young children involved.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    BUT, I will say that the destinations have been rather sub-par. I have traveled across the United States 12 times now. I just can't believe that out of all the fascinating things to learn about, see and experience.. that they'd choose log cutting, rowing a boat, trailer homes, going to a big chair, etc.. How sad that the producers can't force the viewers into seeing some really interesting, fun, exhilarating parts of the United States.

Every season of TAR there's something interesting and cool about another country that we are able to "see".. what in the world are the foreigners who are watching Family TAR thinking of our country!??
    I was opposed to family TAR from the start, so I think in a way it never had a fair chance with me anyway. While it isn't as bad as I was thinking, it certainly isn't good in any sense to me, either. I may have thought better of it if the age limit was higher, because I do believe if there weren't kids along the tasks may have been harder. And despite the fact I'm 100% against having kids on this show, I also think they should have added more families with kids just to even out the playing field a little more, because I don't think the Gaghan's will hold their own against the Linz's. I was also disappointed about the types of families but in the end, I don't care because there's too many people to keep track of anyway and I really don't care to see the whole family togetherness dynamic play out. But I agree with Maveno in that I am surprised by the locations and attractions they've taken the teams to, with all our country has to offer, and probably the main reason I could care less about seeing what America has to offer. I understand that, because this is a popular show that they may not have been able to take them to some huge tourist attraction but is the best they could come up with a trip to the world's largest officer chair and shoe? Even though they are headed out of the country, I really don't care and I'm not even excited because Panama doesn't even seem as exotic as it would on a normal season. Looking forward to when TAR gets back to normal, with two person teams and no American road trip.

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT kraziladi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    oh Lobeck, I know you want to see all the families driving around rural Minnesota looking for the midwest's largest ball of twine, driving to Dyersville, Iowa to find the remains of the Field of Dreams baseball field in a cornfield, etc. If they don't make a trip to Wall Drug, I will be very disappointed
    ......and Mount Rushmore, since it's so close!

Maybe they'll have to drink some ice water from Wall Drug.

I still love TAR....The family edition is just different and not my preference.

:yeah that to what Maveno said. It was put perfectly.

I'm sure TAR won't completely dissapoint with the tourist spots once they get back to the US.
    Last edited by kraziladi; 10-25-2005 at 06:13 PM.
    When you put your whole body into the dance, your spirit will follow.

Whoever cast this show should be slapped silly and kicked back to whatever back country hick town they came from. I'd also fire the person who came up with all the locations for the show and I'd take away their pay and their lunch money too.
    The job they did on this on show is beyond pathetic.

All I can think of is that they were aiming to save a buck by doing it on the cheap, you know, stay away from the more expensive options and just make them do something so they could just get the whole miserable thing over with. I think this is sort of a throw away edition of TAR, like that filler number on an otherwise great album.
    Well, they did a bang up job if that was the goal, because the show feels both cheap and like a second rate filler.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

On with the rest of the reply...

It's been wondered why TBTB pushed this Family Edition TAR when so many seemed to have such immediate and visceral negative reactions to the concept--and that's easy. Extreme Makeover Home Edition. When this Family Edition was being pieced together, the hottest thing on television...the thing generating the most water cooler conversation...was a show that gave a fantastic new home to a family down on their luck.

What if we took the FAMILY idea that everybody loves from EMHE and marry it with our Emmy Award winning TAR? Oh my God, then EVERYBODY will love us!!!

Well, "Three Wishes" notwithstanding, the bloom is off the EMHE rose now--because it was a fad, not a trend. I mean, had it been a few years ago...maybe TPTB would have added phone-a-friend lifelines to add in a successful element from the big buzz show then?

I know that I didn't like the idea of changing it to a "team" race...which bothered me more than it being a "family" race. The tension of it being two people...that you have to count on the other person to pull their weight...that conflict/tension has so much more potential than to spread things out on a larger team...

I also wasn't impressed with the teams that they chose...what an amazing lack of diversity for such an amazing race. They didn't choose a team from west of Louisiana. They chose one African-American family and nine Caucasian families--no Latinos, Asian-Americans, Native Americans...or how about a family that includes people of more than one ethnic background? How about continuing the TAR tradition of being forward thinking as to accepting of alternative families? How about a team where the parents are actually divorced and share custody of their kids?

But, I'll be honest...I've never had a problem with it being an all-America race. There's a TON of great things to do in this country...and I always thought that it would be cool to do an American leg or two in the middle of a normal TAR--rather than just consigning the US to the first and last legs of the race.

Is it possible that the show producers have RUINED America as a TAR destination? Good heavens...

What I would be interested to learn, after the show finishes, is how many of this season's competitors are disappointed in the show... You get a hint from it in a couple of comments that the editors have allowed in...like "finally, we're going to an airport."

I think they purposefully dumbed down TAR this year, expecting it to be too difficult for the kids they were expecting to make up the show...and I think that they went too far--that they lost the simple fact that we need drama for good television...and drama needs both conflict and challenges...and instead, of a truly Amazing Race, we're left with a glorified scavenger hunt/road rally. I think they also decided to do cheaper tasks, since they had so many more competitors...and I bet young competitors means higher liability insurance... (Strangely, I bet the explosion in gas prices and the general higher cost of doing things in the US--versus the legs that normal TARs run through Third World countries--will STILL make THIS the most expensive TAR ever.)

And one thing that I've noticed that might have helped...is that all of the COMPETITORS refer to their opponents BY THE STATE THAT THEY'RE FROM. OK...great... Why not refer to them that way? Put that in the small type underneath the family name when you show a family on screen...so casual viewers can figure things out quicker? Maybe, if you're going to throw all of the traditions of TAR out the window for this special Family Edition...maybe you should have done a product placement deal with UnderArmour or Hanes...and given each team their own "uniform" (which certainly makes it easier to remember the Pink Ladies...and were rather superfluous in helping us identify the Blacks...)

And one more thing...to CBS... Let me ask you a question. What were you thinking when you decided that the Family Edition of TAR should start at 9pm on a school night? You didn't think that maybe...JUST MAYBE...it should be put on earlier so that actual FAMILIES could watch it together? (Or do you think that people who DON'T have families are more inclined to watch a bunch of families crack under the stress of a watered down TAR?)

I just keep my fingers crossed that they're not going to Last Comic Standing our beloved TAR--to chase a bad idea right into hiatusville, from which no reality show seems to ever emerge from...

pg--seattle
    Last edited by hepcat; 10-27-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Please don't criticize other posters.

I started out ready to say that I didn't mind this season so much. However, I don't remember a season where I was so ambivalent about who gets eliminated. So...meh. It's just not my preference, I guess.

There are a few things that I think could help if (*shudder*) they ever decide to do this again.
    1) Make all the teams 2 children/2 adults or all adult.
    2) Give it an earlier time slot. It feels like a kids version. It should have an earlier time slot
    3) Do a better job casting. It's been difficult for me to get really invested in any particular teams
    4) Find better locations and tasks

Those would be my main suggestions.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    We have a perfect little normal family with the Gaghans
    We have the foriegn Paolo's
    I'm sorry, but WHAT??!!! Last I checked the Paolo's were Americans.

I think they could have found many better locations to go to in the U.S. And let's be honest. Other than the canal itself, Panama hasn't offered anything that the U.S. doesn't have. I mean, the teams could have found a fake scientist in a hammock in Alabama. They could spot fake birds in Illinois. They could find musical instruments in California. I don't think the problem has been the team's personalities or the fact that they were in the U.S. for too many episodes. I think the producers have really phoned this one in on the tasks the teams have to perform. They really dumbed the tasks down for this family version, and it just made the show dumb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast