+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 01/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

CCL
    First, for those who missed it and were wondering about re-broadcast: If you live in Canada, every TAR episode is repeated on the following Sunday on the Outdoor Life Network ( I think at 8 pm ).

Quote Originally Posted by mommymack
    Let me just say, that I am very tired of Rebecca. I think she is the abuser in that relationship. Adam called her on a real mistake she made in the game, and she blew up and said he was horrible (i.e. worse than Jonathan--not possible!!!). She berates him constantly over little things. I understand that he isn't the most manly man around, but he puts up with way more from her than she does from him...just my opinion.
    Mommymack: Are you Adam's mother? No, I totally agree. Rebecca is a drama queen. She complains about Adam's behaviour and all their fights but I don't think she could have a "normal" (ie calm and stable) relationship - she thrives on the drama. And it was stupid of her to tell K & J about the flight. After Adam had taken the initiative and gotten his team a better flight, she basically undermined his actions by getting K & J on the flight too. Seems she can't handle it when Adam tries to do things on his own steam - see also last week where she refused to let him make airplane reservations etc. She's quite the bossy boots.

Jonathan & Victoria being gone? Did anyone notice that his blue hair had turned silver? That's because they give blue ribbons to the winning team! Bye bye Loser John! And take your whiny, hysterical wife with you.

Kendra - actions speak louder than words, true, but that doesn't mean words are unimportant. I still don't like her, for all the reasons mentioned by others above. My co-viewer noted that Kendra was yelling at Jonathan to go help Victoria when she was injured and yet Freddy didn't stop and help Kendra when she was hyperventilating. Hmmm...

Overall, a great episode. With a truly fabulous ending!!

I loved those crosses too. The whole church was amazing. I'd love to visit there. Laurie's disrespectful (or maybe simply disinterested?) behaviour in the temple was really annoying. How could you not be affected? I had this discussion with Mr. Sweetpea during the show. I was wondering if the final prize of $1 million would become secondary during the course of the show, when you are doing such amazing things. He doubted it, and said he thought most people still kept their eye on the prize 90% of the time. I think he's right in a lot of cases.

As for Kendra. I don't necessarily see her as racist, just very ignorant. It's obvious that she's never been around any kind of poverty except maybe watching it on tv. She appears to have lead a very insulated life, and her choice of profession also insulates her from life's ugly realities. C'mon, a model? Her life is about make-believe and they sure-as-heck don't have fashion shoots in smelly dirt-poor locations. She needs to grow up, widen her view of the world, and educate herself. Hopefully this trip will start that process but I have my doubts. I think once she is safely cocooned back in her privledged (sp?) world her small little breakthroughs will remain that...the stuff of party talk and amusing anecdotes. I sure hope not, but I fear that will be the case.

Jonathan was just as bad. What is up with the "everybody put their fists in the air" thing at the end? I wanted to start yelling "ATTICA! ATTICA!" but thought better of it.

ETA: Awwww, thanks Cali!

I love this show, but I hate that the final couples are good looking him/bimbos. When will just plain "smarts" play a role in this show? It's good to have athletic challenges, but I feel like this show is degenerating into Fear Factor Race Around the World.

Thanks Mariner & LiteWeightLiz! Now I can burn that horrific signature!

Aaron cracked me up last night when he said, "I'm good at guiding asses" (somewhere along there) and pointed at Hayden! That was just pure classic, Aaron is fast becoming......wait, can't say I like him.

I absolutely adored the locals in Ethiopia. The kids were complete dolls & the scenery was gorgeous!

As for Kendra, while she did improve only in the latter part of the episode, I still find her to be a spoiled brat. L&B cut in line? Then do something about it, don't stand there, mumble to yourself, then have your fiancee come back and give this, 'I'll never let someone do that to you again' dramatics. By allowing them to cut in line, you're just as guilty! While she did show some genuine adoration for the children, I still find her highly spoiled. If people treat her like a princess, she'll like it, but if people could care less, she'll make her snide remarks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    Not that I am a fan of J & V BUT none of the remaining team are interesting to watch. All of them look the same, act the same...just plain boring. At this point I'm rooting for the Bolo and ... team (see I can't even remember their names). What a dissapointing season!
    Same disappointment here, I know little or nothing about the other racers. They put J&V on so much, we know very little about the other teams. There are still team members who will do an interview & I think, "Who's this person? Are they one of the teams members on the show?"
    Now that those two are gone maybe more of the teams will be shown.

Casting & producers for AR need to know people who think they make good TV, Do Not make good TV.
    After J shoved V in Berlin, I started recording the show so I could fast forward through the J&V show and watch the other teams which sadly wan't much. I couldn't stand to see or hear him shout anymore, couldn't stand to see his heavily botoxed forehead anymore.
    Its a shame, some of the others seem so interesting but we didn't get to see enough of them.
    "What happens to the wide-eyed observer when the window between reality and unreality breaks and the glass begins to fly? Stephen King - Four Past Midnight"

Quote Originally Posted by haerpino
    Adam/Rebecca...what was the deal with them yielding Freddy/Kendra? I know they have had disagreements with Jon/Vic in the past (the "STOP FOLLOWING ME!" drama a few weeks ago comes to mind) so it struck me as strange. Any type of alliance between them and Jon/Vic should have been shown more explicitly because that didn't click for me giving the footage we've gotten.

Speaking of footage they should have shown, how did Lori/Bolo sneak ahead of Kris/Jon? It's weird that the easily-winded wrestlers (Bolo seems to be near hyperventilation after running more than 10 feet) beat the most athletic team in what was essentially a foot race.
    In the Insider Videos, both Adam-Rebecca and Kris-Jon talk about accidentally climbing all the way to the top of some nearby hills before realizing that they were actually supposed to be going to some spot behing the hotel.

It sounded like both of these teams went quite far out of the way and wasted a lot of time by doing so. Both commented on how they had to run really hard for quite a long distance to get back to the pit stop in time.

Between Adam's inept handling of the Roadblock and this mountain climbing mistake (which sounded like it would have taking a long time--in the Insider Video, Rebecca pointed to a hill that was quite a ways a way and said they had climbed to the top of that hill before realizing their mistake) they may have been luck to beat Jon and Victoria.

Given that A & R took so much longer than they should have on both the Roadblock and the "getting to the Pit Stop" part of things, it might actually have been possible for Jonathan and Victoria to catch up. This makes the Insider Video where Jonathan is going ON AND ON (forever) to the camera person about how much he is learning from the trip while Victoria is being hysterical that he's not trying to hurry extra hilarious.

She's trying to get him to hurry--telling him that they shouldn't quit until it's over. He's totally given up, is into this ego trip about having the camera capture his "stopping to smell the flowers" exit experience, and is telling her to go out gracefully--raving on about the futility of her competetive nature kicking in now, when it can no longer make a difference. I would love to know the times on the arrivals of A/R and J/V at the Pit Stop. I think it would be so ironic if the time difference was narrow enough that Jonathan's lollygagging was actually what cost them the race.

This was interesting information to have, and I wish it had somehow been included in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by lianee
    Casting & producers for AR need to know people who think they make good TV, Do Not make good TV.
    After J shoved V in Berlin, I started recording the show so I could fast forward through the J&V show and watch the other teams which sadly wan't much. I couldn't stand to see or hear him shout anymore, couldn't stand to see his heavily botoxed forehead anymore.
    Its a shame, some of the others seem so interesting but we didn't get to see enough of them.
    I totally agree. I had pretty much given up on the show, because it was so unpleasant to watch. Fortunately, I am on the West Coast, so I read the spoilers for last night's show and decided that it might be bearable after all. Otherwise, I would have totally passed on it. I was that turned off by the behavior of J & V (and others to a lesser extent).
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 01-19-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Regular
    First off...

Oh happy day. Oh happy happy day! Now I can enjoy the rest of the season without seeing those two. When Victoria was screaming about her hand I commented that she'd better have a finger missing for all that noise she made... and Jonathan was the ass as usual and didn't run over to see what was the matter. It's truly a happy day.

I just read through this whole thread. Nobody mentioned that despite being Yielded, Freddy & Kendra completed the Road Block before Adam & Rebecca. I was dying! Adam is so worthless. He is definitely the New Flo!

Now that Jonathan is out I need to think of something to end my comments besides Jonathan is an ass. Ah... I have it.

Adam is soooo gay!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Laurie's disrespectful (or maybe simply disinterested?) behaviour in the temple was really annoying. How could you not be affected?
    What did Lori do that was so disrespectful? She just seemed to me to make some of the same blunders that non-religious folk in an unfamiliar religious setting make without thinking, such as inappropriate dress. She actually tried to bow when receiving the cross, obviously trying to show respect while not knowing their tradition. A couple of the guys from the other teams did not remove their caps and bandanas (Adam, Freddy). I don't think Lori and Bolo are intentionally disrespectful, just sometimes they don't know how to act in certain situations, probably from not having travelled as much as some of the others. They are clumsy socially sometimes, although they seem to try not to be, which is why I like them, because it makes them seem more real somehow, more "regular folks". I quite frankly wish the race had a few more couples like them who seem to be experiencing the sorts of things they do on the race for the first time.

Actually I thought Lori was the only one who genuflected in the church (which is if it was a Catholic church would have been proper behavior.) She was rushed, she didn't appear to enjoy the experience and she was under dressed (but so were several of the others) Plus the men should have taken off their hats.

I don't think you can single Lori out for poor church etiquette. I think she just didn't seem to be feeling the moment like some of the others.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Regular
    I just read through this whole thread. Nobody mentioned that despite being Yielded, Freddy & Kendra completed the Road Block before Adam & Rebecca.
    And Hayden and Aaron, who had started in last place with no money, ended up finishing first. Yeah, those were two useful rule changes!

I think part of Lori's problem at the church was that she was exhausted. A lot of the racers appear to be really worn out at this point. Victoria looked like hell in her final interview, but then she'd probably look that way even if she had spent two weeks at a luxury resort because she had to spend it with J-hole -- I know I would!

+ Reply to Thread