+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they compensated during taping?

I'm really THAT Dave
    Yes, each team gets something for their participation - based on the place they finish. The SAG scale has no bearing on it. The money each team gets is split between the two racers.

Dave

FORT Fogey
    Hey Dave, what'd you get? Hopefully at least a free meal to Wendy's!

FORT Fan
    I think fewer people would join if it's winner-takes-all style.

FORT Regular
    I think there are plenty of people who'd be happy to do it for free just for the experience.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by leew261
    I think there are plenty of people who'd be happy to do it for free just for the experience.
    I think there are people who would actually pay to do it. Somebody needs to have a touring company that creates a race like this worldwide. Have a predetermined route and take, say, 12 races on it during a year. Set it up so the race could be completed start to finish in 21 days. Since the route would be predetermined there would be less expense involved with airport security, etc. Have a rule that somebody could not go more than once a year so they would not know the track. You may even change some of the roadblocks and detours even though you would go to the same city.

Instead of having support team of 2 just have a person following with a camcorder to catch the fun. It would not be produced for TV so it would not be as expensive as TAR. It is more of a fun vacation (but expensive).

Charge each team say $50,000. The winning team would win their money back with second and third place teams getting less.

Sorry - just throwing ideas against the wall to see which ones stick.
    Debbie: "Bianca, why would those rugby players have to eat each other when they crashed on a beach?"

Part of the reason why TAR is so great is so you can see the world, and not spend a dime. However, as we're seeing (this season especially) the stress is really getting to the teams on just completing the race, or making sure they're not last at the road-block.

IMO, that wouldn't make a great vacation, nor would doing digusting roadblocks. Sure, you would do things that might be a custom to the area, but not if it grossed you out. Maybe a round trip from area to area over the span of a month, and you can only be in one area for so long at a time, I think people would be up for that, but putting the race element into the trip would simply spoil a vacation.

IMO, of course.

You'd be surprised at what some people deem a *vacation*, Neo.

Some people spend 20 hours a day building homes for Habitat for Humanity, some people take the opportunity to get elective surgery, and, yes, some people would race. Not everyone wants to just lay around on a beach.

(silly people. heh)

I think that racing in TAR would be a fantastic vacation. Touring the world is amazing in itself. But the race element makes it much more fun. I would do it in a heartbeat, even if it did end up costing me some money.

Don't forget the money they get at the start of each leg. Smart racers could save up that money and keep it after the race!
    "It's fairplay!"

Quote Originally Posted by Revliskci
    Don't forget the money they get at the start of each leg. Smart racers could save up that money and keep it after the race!
    Can they do that? Well, I guess why not.. but that wouldn't really add up to that much, comparatively. Interesting question I've always wondered: how much do teams end up having after they're eliminated/finished with the race? What is the average amount left of the winners' money compared to 2nd, 3rd, ..., 11th place finishers? Is there any sort of ridiculous connection that can be made from money to success in the race?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast