+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 01/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

What's with all the talk of *deserving* racers? At this point, no one is what I would call a bad racer - they've all watched the show and have a pretty solid grasp on what you have to do to win. I mean, the race is what it is - they have to visit businesses and tourist attractions with hours of operation to complete tasks. It would be more wrong to try to manipulate the race to suit the racers - this way, they have to accommodate to their surroundings which to my mind makes it more of a challenge.

You can try to figure out ways to outperform your competitors, but look what happened yesterday - for all of Jonathan's supposed brilliance in stopping to see a travel agent, they ended up on the same flight as Lori & Bolo, who just humped it as fast as they could to the airport. Kris & Jon almost blew their flight by reserving by phone instead of in person (although I can't understand how you can be denied a ticket if you have a reservation number).

The racers we see now are faster and smarter because they know the race, so barring extreme exceptions like the Lena & Kristi thing, the races are going to finish closer and closer - to my way of thinking it's a good thing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo
    I can top ya. I'd been annoyed with Hayden the whole episode and presumed that they were way behind and it was edited to look close. When I saw that they were within actual striking distance I was invaded by satan & I screamed "RUN you b's RUUUN". My husband nearly died. This is the first time this season that I've been THAT interested. (and the bad word was plural and meant to encompass Aaron as well as Hayden). I might have had an aneuryism is J&V got the NEL.
    I really would not have minded if Hayden & Aaron had been Philiminated... but I really hate seeing the Anti-Christ on my TV each and every week. He just needs to go and he needs to take his Enabler with him.

Hayden was so annoying. First she can't drive, then she makes Aaron get out and starts driving. Then she thinks an apology would cut it, thank gawd Aaron didn't take it.

FORT Regular
    Also, nobody mentioned the best line of the night:

Jonathan: "I'm in a happy place"

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    Hayden was so annoying. First she can't drive, then she makes Aaron get out and starts driving. Then she thinks an apology would cut it, thank gawd Aaron didn't take it.
    Mrs CWebb, in the Apprentice 2 season, you commented that all the applicants that you liked were getting fired, so you raved about how much you "loved" Ivana, and the next week, she was fired....

I really wish you'd start raving about how much you love Jonathan and Victoria (and, if you like, Hayden and Aaron) ... Maybe it would help!
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    There's a reason for all that bunching up. When doing TAR, the producers have to really manage two things at the same time: both the race itself, and capturing it on camera. Sometimes, the two come into conflict - and bunching up is one of those. Let me explain.

The operating hours have come into effect to keep the venues open during daylight hours - the main exception has been the internet cafe in Budapest. Meanwhile, the teams usually get at the bunching points late in the afternoon, or in the evening.

It significantly complicates matters to shoot something like TAR at night. It's probably borderline impossible, and for outdoor scenes it's not practical. The bunching up is not because the producers want to screw with the race, it's to better capture it on camera.
    This could all be solved with better planning. If TAR can arrange to have taxis appear in remote areas in the middle of the night, they can figure out a way to stage everything during the day, during normal business hours.

Besides, some of the challenges could be done at night, indoors (again, with proper planning - like the IKEA challenge).

And in some cases, they have successfully filmed at night, out of doors. I remember a strength challenge outside of the Pyramids last season.

Personally, I think they didn't plan this season well, didn't take the usual time figuring out how to stage everything.

Maybe this is a show that should only be done once a year for that reason alone. I'm obviously not the only one who thinks this season has been a huge step down in quality.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

I haven't watched last nights episode, but from reading the posts I see its a NEL. I was hoping for an NEL the week Gus & Hera came in last. I think it would have been awesome to see Gus figuring out how to get money. He was so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PJO1966
    Also, nobody mentioned the best line of the night:

Jonathan: "I'm in a happy place"
    That was classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog
    This could all be solved with better planning. If TAR can arrange to have taxis appear in remote areas in the middle of the night, they can figure out a way to stage everything during the day, during normal business hours.
    I like the idea that the contestants spend the night sleeping on a bench or the sidewalk. Nothing like competing in a physical challenge on very little sleep and a sore back.

Besides, some of the challenges could be done at night, indoors (again, with proper planning - like the IKEA challenge).
    And in some cases, they have successfully filmed at night, out of doors. I remember a strength challenge outside of the Pyramids last season.
    Personally, I think they didn't plan this season well, didn't take the usual time figuring out how to stage everything.
    They are also in areas that don't have a lot of flights in or out of their airports. Nothing like making it to the airport first just find out that the next flight out doesn't leave until next Tuesday. There's a lot of preparation that goes into planning something like this.

Maybe this is a show that should only be done once a year for that reason alone. I'm obviously not the only one who thinks this season has been a huge step down in quality.
    I disagree. I like the bunching up factor. It makes for a better "race". I also like the fact that there have been more winners in this season. Colin & Kristy were one of my favorite teams from last season, but I didn't like how they won most of the legs. BORING! This way we get to see how each team does at any given place in the line up.

FORT Fan
    Some bunching is necessary to keep the race interesting, but two-three times per leg? That kills any progress a team has up to that point, what if the NBA erased scores after every quarter so only the fourth counted?

Nobody would watch. That's what TAR is doing now though, it's only a matter of time before people get fed up

+ Reply to Thread