+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 01/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog
    If that's the case, then they should be up-front about it and advertise the episode as a non-elimination beforehand.

If your answer is that no one would watch the NELs, then you see my point. I know I would take the week off, just like I do when my favorite scripted shows go to reruns.

Like I said, no other reality show tricks you like this, artificially shifting the drama to an arbitrary decision made by the producers before (so they tell us, but I'm not necessarily buying it) the show begins.

A show should not trick you into watching. I love the concept of TAR. I hate the execution.

So what if it's ideally only eight or nine weeks. It would be eight or nine good weeks - maybe they'd do a better job planning things so as to avoid the constant equalizers.
    I see what you mean.. but I actually like the suspense of not only who will be first or last, but also whether the last team will be eliminated. In legs where one team is obviously going to be eliminated, it's nice to have some suspense rather than watching a totally cut-and-dry episode. If they started telling us when the NEL were, I'd definitely still watch, but the suspense would totally be gone. Sometimes you just can't create that much excitement in some legs, so the suspense at the end adds to it. Equalizers also help with the excitement factor. I don't like the idea that one mistake should secure a team's loss. It's only when equalizers cause a team with no mistakes to not do well that they become too extreme.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    Okay, then. Tell me why Gus and Hera deserve to be gone and Lori and Bolo don't?

What was it, seven weeks back that Lena (or was it Kristy?) went on that absurd hunt for clues in haystacks? That saved the elderly couple or the wrestlers, who had really made a huge number of mistakes along the way.

The following week, the older couple continued to lag, but were saved by an NEL.

The following week, they finally were eliminated.

The following week, Lori and Bolo continued to screw up, and found themselves about a half-day behind everyone else.

And then we had a clip show. I didn't watch it, but I assume nothing progressed.

Last week, the wrestlers, aided by equalizers like none we've ever seen before, somehow won the interrupted leg, while Gus and Hera, apparently unable to pick good taxi drivers, were eliminated in a very close finish.

And yesterday, we had yet another NEL, saving Hayden and Aaron, in another leg that required repeated equalizers negating nearly the entire episode.

Seven weeks now, and all that's happened is two mediocre teams were unfairly eliminated, and only one of the two utterly hopeless teams is gone.

I'd just like CBS to drop any pretenses that this is a race. The producers are to travel races what Donald Trump is to debating competitions.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I'm thinking she probably broke a nail....
    That's exactly what my hubby said!

Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog
    Okay, then. Tell me why Gus and Hera deserve to be gone and Lori and Bolo don't?

The producers are to travel races what Donald Trump is to debating competitions.

You share alot of the problems I have had with this show over the past 4 seasons. (I have yet to make it through a whole season) This year I have learned to quit looking at it like an actual competition, but more as a reality show. It has helped make the show watchable for me.

Leo
    Premium Member
    There's a reason for all that bunching up. When doing TAR, the producers have to really manage two things at the same time: both the race itself, and capturing it on camera. Sometimes, the two come into conflict - and bunching up is one of those. Let me explain.

The operating hours have come into effect to keep the venues open during daylight hours - the main exception has been the internet cafe in Budapest. Meanwhile, the teams usually get at the bunching points late in the afternoon, or in the evening.

It significantly complicates matters to shoot something like TAR at night. It's probably borderline impossible, and for outdoor scenes it's not practical. The bunching up is not because the producers want to screw with the race, it's to better capture it on camera.
    Last edited by Leo; 01-12-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by undertakeress
    Actually it looked like Hayden to me :S
    It's kendra.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=queenb]I'm thinking she probably broke a nail....seriously, I don't think anyone deserves to be treated the way Jonathan treats Victoria. But I am also sick of hearing Victoria's histronics. I was hoping they would never find the right buoy. [QUOTE]

Me too. Then I was hoping that the boat would run over Jonathan. And, as wrong as Jonathan is, I still find Victoria really really irritating and annoying. Doesn't excuse his behaviour, but there it is.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    There's a reason for all that bunching up. When doing TAR, the producers have to really manage two things at the same time: both the race itself, and capturing it on camera. Sometimes, the two come into conflict - and bunching up is one of those. Let me explain.

The operating hours have come into effect to keep the venues open during daylight hours - the main exception has been the internet cafe in Budapest. Meanwhile, the teams usually get at the bunching points late in the afternoon, or in the evening.

It significantly complicates matters to shoot something like TAR at night. It's probably borderline impossible, and for outdoor scenes it's not practical. The bunching up is not because the producers want to screw with the race, it's to better capture it on camera.
    This reasoning does make sense. But I have to agree with others, the bunching in this season has been really frustrating. I can't remember it being so bad in previous seasons (perhaps it was and I've just forgotten in a nostalgic glow?) But, as it is now, the race is run anew every leg and that kind of annoys me. What does it matter, then, what position you came in the previous leg? While I like people being able to "come back" by running a good leg, there should be some point in coming in first or second, it should give you some advantage (to keep or lose in the next leg).

FORT Regular
    Who else thinks that if Jonathan & Victoria had to turn in their money, Jonathan would be pimping his (pockmarked) ex-Playboy Bunny? That would be almost as nauseating as the twins last season trying to be sexy to get money from strange men.

*shudder*

When Jonathan and Victoria were walking to the Pit Stop and Jonathan said he would be fine in bare feet as long as he didn't have to run... I screamed Ruuuun!!! to Hayden and Aaron as soon as they were shown stepping out of the cab. I think I startled my SO and the dog.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO1966
    When Jonathan and Victoria were walking to the Pit Stop and Jonathan said he would be fine in bare feet as long as he didn't have to run... I screamed Ruuuun!!! to Hayden and Aaron as soon as they were shown stepping out of the cab. I think I startled my SO and the dog.
    I can top ya. I'd been annoyed with Hayden the whole episode and presumed that they were way behind and it was edited to look close. When I saw that they were within actual striking distance I was invaded by satan & I screamed "RUN you b's RUUUN". My husband nearly died. This is the first time this season that I've been THAT interested. (and the bad word was plural and meant to encompass Aaron as well as Hayden). I might have had an aneuryism is J&V got the NEL.

+ Reply to Thread