+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Amazing Race' on ugly road

Quote Originally Posted by quangtran
    On one hand, they might have casted Jonathan as a way of getting the attention and high-ratings that this once struggling show has always needed. While these stunts help water-cooler talk, it drives people away long-term.

On the other hand, they could have casted him with good intentions, not expecting what they'll see when they got the dailies. "Former Playboy playmate" and "ambitious entrepreneur" probably sounded good on paper.

OK, I've got a "One one hand" too

I keep flip flopping on how I feel about the producers/editors showing as much as they do.

On one hand, I feel like thay may have shown all they have as a ratings stunt, to get people talking, to make sure people see what kind of jerky thing he'll do next AND at the same time make people talk about domestic abuse. AND if they didn't show waht they did, then we wouldn't know just how jerky he is.

On the other hand, I always thought TAR was above this. They do not need ratings stunts and it's not their job to get people talking about domestic abuse, yet they choose to show this and it is really, REALLY turning people OFF of the show. A little Jonathon goes a long way. If they had booted him, instead of pulling him aside to "ask" him to "tone it down" they would have scored HUGE with so many of the viewers.

I do think I'm rambling now. Sorry
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    HA! "Publicity stunt"!!!

Exactly what I said in one of my posts here!

They do it for publicity, to make people to remember them among all the teams. Bad or good, it's publicity which eventually will bring people to his business.

I was right!

Let me start by saying I am NOT a JV fan, but how would CBS know this is how he/she would act? I doubt it is in their resume. Now that we know how they are, I am sure CBS will look differently in the future (at least I can hope)
    There's no place like home!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    As a huge TAR fan, I am constantly disgusted by Jonathan's behavior. I firmly believe if Victoria didn't have the backpack on when Jonathan shoved it (and her), he still would have pushed her. So I don't think he was aiming for the backpack.

I also believe that at this point, CBS should do some damage control so as to not screw up what took 4 seasons to do (win an emmy) and continue building momentum the show has really done with seasons 5 and 6.

Jonathan's actions are disgusting. Whether he believes they are a publicity stunt or not, Victoria (and the countless locals, other players and behind the scenes people) are all human beings and NOBODY deserves to be treated that way. Not even Jonathan. For while it's hard to believe, he's human too. A disqualification would be appropriate at this point.

A shove is a shove, whether its between teammates or spouses. He should be outta there. And the accidents ... they add up as well.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I can't remember where i first saw this quote, don't know if it was here, or another board...

We're not watching TAR because of Jonathan. We're watching it in spite of him.

We can't let one person ruin our favorite show.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

I tend to agree - TAR has been my favorite reality show for a long time. I have seen every race and enjoyed them all. Jonathan is, however, a big turn-off and the fact that they have kept him despite his bad behavior toward his wife is a case of poor judgement on the part of the producers. That being said, I hope they have learned their lesson and will not subject us to any more of these Jonathan type characters in the seasons to come. This type of casting has been escalating. Flo was merely annoying, Colin was pushing the envelope, but Jonathan has not only torn the envelope in half but disgusted and turned off many of the viewers.

I will continue to watch this season, but if I see this same type of character turn up next season and they focus on him, I just may turn to another channel.

Quote Originally Posted by aname
    I hope they have learned their lesson and will not subject us to any more of these Jonathan type characters in the seasons to come. This type of casting has been escalating. Flo was merely annoying, Colin was pushing the envelope, but Jonathan has not only torn the envelope in half but disgusted and turned off many of the viewers.

I will continue to watch this season, but if I see this same type of character turn up next season and they focus on him, I just may turn to another channel.

My feelings exactly...who knows what Jonathan and Victoria were like during casting? Even so, once the teammate abuses someone, anyone, they should be out instantly. There should be no question about it, no reviewing of the circumstances, no "talking to"--just a "you're out of here" and that's it. As another poster said, even the over the top folks at MTV have that rule. That's all I'm asking for.

We've got to have our Team Guidos, Flos, and Ians to make the show entertaining and fun to talk about...I'm not asking that they quit casting people who fly off the handle so quickly and easily. I just want some reassurance that future physical abuse of any kind will be rewarded with a swift kick out the door, not more screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Obviously, the only thing linking TAR with the "RW/RR Challenge" is that Viacom owns both CBS and MTV, but the point is that different producers have different standards.
    Well that's news to me, for some reason I always thought MTV was in the same ESPN/ABC boat...

Leo
    Premium Member
    I can't really blame the producers for casting J&V. I agree with quangtran, on paper this sounded like a good team to put in. Pre-show, I actually thought most of the focus would be on Victoria, the ex-Playmate. How wrong I was.

What I really fault CBS for, and I've said this a lot, is that they are letting Jonathan get away with it. We haven't had any on-screen footage showing Jonathan get penalized for Shovegate. True, Bertram van Munster had a talk with Jonathan during the pitstop. Well, guess what: whatever he said entered one of Jonathan's ears and went out the other. His behavior hasn't changed. I'm not asking for a morality play, but CBS and the producers are making a big mistake by letting him go, in effect, scot-free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123