+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Amazing Race' on ugly road

Quote Originally Posted by misscrispy
    I've read several columns like this one--all saying essentially the same thing: that the show has always been good because it stayed away from these cheap tricks like casting freaks like JV.

The problem is that CBS might just be seeing all this attention as good attention. Just like Jonathan, they're of the belief that any publicity is good; unfortunately for the faithful viewers of TAR, they're probably right.
    CBS will find they are not right with some of us. I for one will back up my words with action. As much as I love TAR, if this keeps up, I will no longer watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    But because TAR never went the road of Survivor and Big Brother, the ratings were never good. Then they start casting couples like Colin & Christie and Jonathan & Victoria (more or less stunt teams), and the ratings- and attention to the show- start going up. I don't think it has anything to do with those 2 teams exactly, but it has gotten more publicity, even if it is all bad.
    I think the ratings for TAR went up because it won an Emmy. Personally, I am barely tuning in for TAR this year, when I wouldn't have missed a second of it for the last two seasons. This season's episodes just leave me with a sick feeling.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misscrispy
    The problem is that CBS might just be seeing all this attention as good attention. Just like Jonathan, they're of the belief that any publicity is good; unfortunately for the faithful viewers of TAR, they're probably right.
    On one hand, they might have casted Jonathan as a way of getting the attention and high-ratings that this once struggling show has always needed. While these stunts help water-cooler talk, it drives people away long-term.

On the other hand, they could have casted him with good intentions, not expecting what they'll see when they got the dailies. "Former Playboy playmate" and "ambitious entrepreneur" probably sounded good on paper.

FORT Regular
    CBS will find they are not right with some of us. I for one will back up my words with action. As much as I love TAR, if this keeps up, I will no longer watch it.
    Same here. The ratings can soar into the stratosphere if people like watching jerks like J-hole and the producers keep casting them, but I won't be one of the ones watching. And I think, if that does happen, the newfound fans will lose interest quickly once the novelty of TAR wears off, leaving the producers with few new fans and few old fans.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    ::raising hand:: Faithful viewer here!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    fellow faithful fan

Until all the teams (or the vast majority) are made up of couples like Jonathan (abusing jerk) and Victoria (the abused) I will keep watching. I don't like Jonathan at all, but his presence doesn't keep me from enjoying the show as a whole ( I refuse to let him affect me like that ).

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno

*raises hand* I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    ( I refuse to let him affect me like that ).
    Agree 100%.
    Last edited by quangtran; 01-11-2005 at 03:51 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    fellow faithful fan

Until all the teams (or the vast majority) are made up of couples like Jonathan (abusing jerk) and Victoria (the abused) I will keep watching. I don't like Jonathan at all, but his presence doesn't keep me from enjoying the show as a whole ( I refuse to let him affect me like that ).
    Count me in as another faithful fan. I agree CCL, that nothing could make me stop watching the show, until all the teams are nearly identical in every way. I like the diversity, as I've said before, but I couldn't watch 11 Jonathan & Victoria's or even 11 Kris & Jon's.

I think the ratings for TAR went up because it won an Emmy.
    That too.

I like the diversity of the couples too, but I want to be entertained, and Jonathan and Victoria crossed the line where entertainment ends and criminal charges begin. An ugly road, indeed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    While I don't know the particulars about what exactly constitutes "harming" another contestant, I can answer the question about ratings.

While the season is not yet over, TAR6 is on track to be the highest rated season yet, topping the previous title holder - TAR5. TAR6 has lost about 1 million viewers (out of an average 11 million) since its debut back in November, however, those losses can be blamed on the recent Christmas and New Year's holidays. Interestingly, all seasons of TAR seem to wane a bit when it gets to the mid-point of the season (which we are in now).

While I'm never going to excuse Jonathan for his abusive tendencies, I wouldn't call hitting Victoria on the head with the automobile trunk hatch a deliberate action. While his shoving incident in Berlin was obviously intentional, the definition of "harm" must include actual aggressive contact. I say aggressive because I do not believe his shoving was enough to inflict any injuries. Before anyone bites my head off, I hold both of them responsible for the way they have portrayed and hope producers cast future seasons with a cautious eye to this season.

Off the subject, but a recent episode of "Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Sexes 2" saw a contestant disqualified after shoving another team mate. While the shoving was reactionary and not done to inflict harm or aggressive, producers made a judgement call. Obviously, the only thing linking TAR with the "RW/RR Challenge" is that Viacom owns both CBS and MTV, but the point is that different producers have different standards.

Bottom line is that I personally would have disqualified Jonathan for his actions, but producers feel that he hasn't crossed the line...yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast