+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAR Ratings: Season 6 vs. other seasons

FORT Fan

TAR Ratings: Season 6 vs. other seasons

How is "Amazing Race 6" comparing to the previous seasons?

Here is a run-down of the eight episodes already aired:

11/16: 11.8 million viewers (2nd highest rated premiere behind TAR1; 2 hours)
    11/23: 11.4 million viewers (2nd highest rated 2nd ep. behind TAR2)
    11/30: 11.8 million viewers (2nd highest rated 3rd ep. behing TAR2)
    12/7: 11.6 million viewers (highest rated 4th ep. ever)
    12/14: 10.5 million viewers (ties for highest rated 5th ep. with TAR5)
    12/21: 10.7 million viewers (ties for highest rated 6th ep. with TAR6; airs at 8:00 p.m.)
    12/28: 10.4 million viewers (highest rated 7th ep. ever; first ever clip show)
    1/4: 10.6 million viewers (ties for highest rated 8th ep. with TAR5)

So, with 8 episodes aired, TAR6 is averaging 11.1 million viewers. Compare that to 10.69 million viewers averaged over 13 episodes for TAR5, the highest rated season to date.

Although TAR6 has lost roughly a million viewers since its debut, it is still on track to be the highest rated season yet.

Let's hope viewership will jump back up past 11 million once everone is able to readjust following the Christmas and New Years festivities.

well, that means AR isn't going anywhere
    I LOVE KATAMARI!
    YOU LOVE KATAMARI!
    WE LOVE KATAMARI!

<- The Shark Is This
    ^
    | THERE HE IS!!!!!!

I've updated my webpages that have charts for the TAR seasons.

http://home.kc.rr.com/arfun/tar

Most charts are current through TAR6, Leg6a.

(jpoliver, ...
    I think some of your viewer numbers may be from preliminary results. The ones that I always use are from the final official weekly ranking. There are a few that we differ on by 0.1m to 0.2m, or so. Not enough to make huge differences, but I noticed this once I updated my charts.)

You can see from my Total Viewers chart, that TAR6 (11.791m) premiere essentially tied TAR1 (11.8m, they were less precise back then -- could've been anywhere in the 11.750 to 11.849 range).

TAR6's Leg2 and Leg3 were only surpassed by TAR2 (which had "Survivor" lead-in for those two Legs).

TAR6's Leg4 was EASILY the best Leg4 ever.

TAR6's Leg5 was again the best ever -- better than TAR5 by almost 200,000.

TAR6's Leg6a was again the best ever -- better than TAR5 Leg6 by over 300,000. Although my final chart will average Leg6a and Leg6b. (And, as I write this, the Leg6b final numbers are not out yet, but will be soon.)

To better compare TAR6 versus prior TARs, I have left out the "clip episode". And I will be averaging the two Leg6 episodes together to get a single set of numbers for Leg6.

This is (I believe) the best way to compare versus previous TARs. Previous TARs (always 13 Legs) have had anywhere from 11 to 13 episodes. Currently TAR6 is shaping up to possibly have as many as 15 episodes? We don't want to be comparing TAR6 Leg10 (for example) versus prior TAR finales -- that wouldn't make any sense.

So, I always compare across ALL seasons the same *Leg* of each Race. If you've seen my charts and read the accompanying info I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

My charts easily compare all prior Races by Leg, whether they've had 11, 12 or 13 episodes. And, I will incorporate the TAR6 Legs appropriately into the charts, regardless of how many episodes they show.

Of course, if they ever change to more or less than 13 Legs, I'll be in trouble and may need to adjust my charts. Let's hope they stick with 13 Legs.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Looks like TAR rocks the socks off of everybody..

This isn't about ratings but it fits the title of this thread:

How would y'all rank the QUALITY of this season versus others?

I've found that one team can spoil a whole season for me. Some fighting and "villain" teams are fine when they're balanced by other teams working well together. The Guidos (1), Jon & Kelly (4), and Tian & Jaree (4) are examples that immediately come to mind.

But the more attention the editors lavish on villain/obnoxious teams and the less they're balanced out by foil teams, the less I enjoy the season. They showed TONS of Mirna & Charla last season-- I know there's lots of CM fans here, and i have nothing against charla, but Mirna bugged me SO much, and they kept cutting back to them. I also was a little irked that 2 of the top 5 teams really weren't that competitive (the twins & bowling moms, as much as I loved them).

I'm sure you can all guess which couple that gets lots of screentime is ruining this season for me. It's too bad- I think this season COULD have been awesome- if J&V had gone out when Lena & Kristy did, this would have been an awesome season- all the top 6 would still be very competitive and we'd have a wider diversity of relationship dynamics.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Fan
    "Amazing Race" seems to be back in fighting form after a holiday-induced lull in viewership over Christmas and New Year's.

Last night's episode (#9 on 1/11/05) scored 11.37 million viewers according to overnight ratings.

That makes the episode the highest rated since the week before Christmas when 11.6 million tuned in.

That also makes the episode the highest rated "Leg 7" episode in TAR history, easily beating previous record holder TAR1 which snagged only a little over 9 million viewers.

Keep in mind that "Race" faced some stiff competition last night from the last half-hour of the 90 minutes "live" finale of NBC's "Biggest Loser".

FORT Newbie

Not much interested in the rest of the season

I don't know about others, but at this point I really couldn't care less about who wins this time around--none of the remaining teams has any particularly attractive qualities and most of them are just completely obnoxious. I just left feedback with CBS that I wish they would stop adding more and more "ringers" (models, pro wrestlers, etc.) and get back to what made the show so interesting at the beginning: REAL people handling extraordinary circumstances.

That's Carrie. She's hot. Amazing Fanatic's Avatar
    Yeah I know. The only interesting people that could possibly win would be Lori and Bolo or Adam and Rebecca.

Really, I don't have a TV I_have_no_TV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckaibab
    I just left feedback with CBS that I wish they would stop adding more and more "ringers" (models, pro wrestlers, etc.) and get back to what made the show so interesting at the beginning: REAL people handling extraordinary circumstances.
    I apologize for the possible thread de-railing, but it comes back to the topic of ratings.

Don't you think TAR really took off when they started casting "slashes" (as in model/actress/waitress) or "ringers"? I think it does.

It seems to me that as the series went along, they started casting more "hotties" who just happened to be aspiring- whatevers. But, I'm a bandwagon fan. I've only followed the last two seasons. Which, incidentally, were the highest-rated seasons, right?

Anyway, I agree-- I'd like to see real people handling extraordinary circumstances. I also don't mind seeing Kris in a bikini.
    I now have TV and TIVO and watch nothing but Fear Factor re-runs.

jp, you're right, Leg7 faced some decent competition. Next week, the Mother Of All Problems will occur -- the second hour of the AmIdol premiere. TAR holds up well against whatever it is against, but this may be it's biggest test to date. If it stays above 10m, we should be very pleased.

non-ratings...
    Apparently TAR6's women got the memo that required completely impractical Racing attire, especially tight, skimpy tank tops. Not that they're bad to look at, but I much preferred the innocence of Nancy/Emily, Russell/Cindy(TAR2), Dennis/Andrew, etc., and the witty banter of The Frats, Gary/Dave, Steve/Dave, etc.

And, Gus got the male memo, asking that shirt removal be incorporated as much as possible into the Race. Seriously, if I had to choose between someone like Gus taking a snow bath on a glacier but all the females weren't "pretty", versus all "pretty" females but no "Gus", I'd choose a Gus EVERY TIME! It is refreshing to see a very out-of-shape person not ashamed of their body AT ALL. I'm sure he knows he needs to lose quite a few pounds. He knew that all the nation would see. As if to say, this is me -- take me or leave me, I'm not perfect. If any one of the pretty people Racers has some flaw, dare I say that they will not flaunt it to the nation. You go, Gus!

I still watch and love the show as much as ever, but agree that the Team selection has degraded. I want to see at least a few people that aren't completely comfortable in front of the camera. Out of their element. Can't believe they're actually doing this.

One of the best innocent moments in TAR history is no more than a few minutes into the VERY first TAR1 episode. Nancy/Emily have left Central Park and are in a store trying to make a phone call. They both look totally uncomfortable on camera, almost embarassed that they're being filmed. Nancy even says something to the cameraman, like "we'll be okay, won't we." Now, we still get Racers that sometimes talk to the camera, but it's stuff like Jonathan telling us how wonderful he is, etc. And, now it is definitely talking to the camera. Nancy was talking to the cameraPERSON, not the camera.

It's just different. I'd like to see it slide back toward how it was. Throw in a few pretty people Racers for the T&A Factor, but not 80% of the Racers. Give the viewers more credit than that.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast