+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are they all on same flights TAR6?

Why are they all on same flights TAR6?

I love this season of the show, but my only complaint is this: why is it that the teams are all ending up on the same flights every time? It really takes away a lot of the fun of seeing them fight and scramble at the airport.

Plus, it make sit a foot race on all of the tasks. Case in point: in the episode before last, where Hayden/Aaron and Kris/Jon messed up and thought the tower opened at 10 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. That could have been a GREAT moment when too top teams lost it and one got eliminated. But, nope. The show totally undercut all the shock value by making them all catch up on the flights.

I don't know, is this bugging anybody else?

It's not like TAR can really regulate international flights. They can and do regulate charter flight times.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I think it's just the luck of the draw. In the past, a team might get the last tickets on a flight. Other times, they'd get to the airport and be able to get on a flight leaving right then, instead of waiting for a flight to leave, thus giving everyone a chance to catch up. Because of all the bunching that's been going on this season, that's probably why we're seeing more of it.

At first I thought it was just luck, but I have to wonder if the producers aren't timing it so they wind up at the airport during blocks of time where there is only one available flight, etc.

They check out all of this stuff ahead of time.

I think in the case of Senegal, there just aren't that many flights, and the tribute ceremony caused everyone to bunch.

So I see it so far as more the events prior to going to the airport as bunching folks up, and thus they get to the airport at about the same time.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fan
    There does seem to be a lot of bunching at non airport locations. The Senegal ceremony, the boat rowing, the campout on the glacier - there is a lot of idle time during the legs this time around and it gives a chance for people who are very late to catch up - they only lose some sleep.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by johannaauthor
    At first I thought it was just luck, but I have to wonder if the producers aren't timing it so they wind up at the airport during blocks of time where there is only one available flight, etc.

They check out all of this stuff ahead of time.
    There's only so much they can do to prevent teams from getting ahead. They can send them to locations that have hours of operation, but for all they know, a team might get there 5 minutes before it closes, while the rest have to wait how ever many hours for it to open. In the first season of TAR, two teams got such a big lead at the end (I think it was 24 hours) that the third team couldn't catch up. So in a way, while I hate bunching, it'd be a little boring seeing a few teams make it to the finish line two weeks before everyone else.

Yeah, there is a considerable amount of bunching -- at almost every road block and detour. They were bunched scooting the shot glasses across the ice, and at Ikea, too.

I agree that what happened in the first season was a bit nuts (with Team Guido winding up 24 hours behind) but in seasons 2-5 they seemed to have it spaced out pretty well. Teams would catch up, and the separate, catch up and then separate. This time it seems they're bunched up almost everywhere.

I don't see the teams haggling for other flights, trying to get on stand-by, etc. In Senegal, I can understand -- there were probably not that many flights to Germany. But in the previous legs, the teams were shown taking the first flight they could get -- with everyone else.

Either the teams aren't doing that (which is a shame - as much as I hate to say it, it's what made Colin such a good racer) or they aren't showing that to us (and if this is the case, that's too bad too -- creates/builds the drama).

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by johannaauthor
    ... Case in point: in the episode before last, where Hayden/Aaron and Kris/Jon messed up and thought the tower opened at 10 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. That could have been a GREAT moment when too top teams lost it and one got eliminated. But, nope. The show totally undercut all the shock value by making them all catch up on the flights.

I don't know, is this bugging anybody else?
    I agree with you. That was a big mistake and the race should be designed better where if that has a chance to happen, it will affect the team's position and maybe knock them out.
    They should also choose destinations always with a few flights available such that departure or arrival times are within 30 minutes of eachother, to penalize teams arriving at the airport at the back rather than letting them catch up by getting the same flight as everyone else. Producers should do this because nobody seems keen on using the timeout restraint option at roadblocks to set a team back. Right now it always comes down to who can cajole a taxi to drive the fastest, that wins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast