+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are they all on same flights TAR6?

I hate the scrambles for flights. For some episodes in past series almost half of the show consisted of racers standing at ticket counters asking about flights. There have been too many eliminations because of bad flight schedules. I'd rather see less of the racers at airports and more of them spending time traveling the countryside and doing roadblocks and detours.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I think picking flights kind of shows what kind of racers they can be. I think of Peggy & Claire in TAR2 when they were trying to get to South Africa. Every other team got a connection through Europe from Brazil, but those 2 went to NY first, then London, and finally South Africa. They ended up a day and a half behind everyone else. It was because their flight was delayed, but I don't think they had a prayer anyway once they booked it through NY. They had to extend the PS for the rest of the racers as a result. I wasn't sorry to see them go, but they might have had a chance had they gotten a better flight. Then there was Colin & Christie last year. Though airports were their strong point it seemed, the time in Egypt when they settled for the Swiss Air flight before getting on Gulf Air.

But I don't know if it's the producers fault about the bunching, airports, flights, etc. Since they've gone to a different country each episode this season, it seems kind of hard to break away from the group and really get a good lead.

Amazing Race whore
    It seemed that in the previous seasons, there was usually an equalizer at the very beginning of the leg, and then each team was on its own. I thought this worked well. This season, it seems we get 2 equalizers before the tasks even start, and then another one in the middle of the leg.

FORT Fan
    Thank god Kris and Jon were eliminated. Furthermore, they checked in 1st in that leg. Colin and Christie (should be Christie booking the tickets) are great racers. Leg 5 (to Cairo), Leg 10 (to New Zealand) showed their racer skills. They almost did it in Leg 11, but missed the flight to Manila, putting them about 16 hours behind with the rest of the teams.

Dani Filth is My Hero undertakeress's Avatar
    TAR producers could regulate it if they want - allow so many seats on one flight, and so many on another. However, being a travel agent in the past, there's is only so many flights to these far off places, and I think they may limit them to airlines that are certified or whatnot by the FAA
    I <3 Cradle of Filth

>>It seemed that in the previous seasons, there was usually an equalizer at the very beginning of the leg, and then each team was on its own. I thought this worked well. This season, it seems we get 2 equalizers before the tasks even start, and then another one in the middle of the leg.<<

Yes, I TOTALLY agree!

The thing about the show only have so much power over the airlines, etc. is this -- in the first 5 seasons of the show, it worked one way. Now, in the 6th season all the teams are winding up on the same flight during every show. I have to think the producers planned it this way. It's just too coincidental that it RARELY happened in seasons 1-5, but now it happens EVERY flight in season 6?

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    I'd like to see them flown to a new country at the beginning of each episode. Then start the episode with the time bonuses from the previous leg. Take as many equalizers as possible out of the equation. In order to prevent teams from getting 24 hours behind, limit the time bonuses to something like 1/10 of the total time. So if team eight is 10 hours behind, they lose an hour.

There's no reason not to start each leg in a new country, and plenty to do in each country without having to deal with commercial flights.

At it is now, it's almost a disadvantage to start first in a leg. You know you're running straight into an equalizer, and you've probably gotten bad rest because you're starting at close to midnight. That may be what led to the brain cramps at the entrance to the tower.

Why does TAR even pretend this is a continuous race? There's always an equalizer near the start, and even taking away a team's money doesn't accomplish much of anything.

More race, less artificial crap. No more NELs, no more equalizers.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

>>Trump Ice: Bottled water for people who look to Bob Guiney for romantic inspiration<<

HAAA! That's hilarious.

I think it seems like in the beginning of the season they want them to group up to show fighting and stuff (like in the last episode). Maybe they want more people gangning up or fighting - just to make it more exciting.

I also noticed the insane amount of bunching in this particular season. In past seasons, I think the bunching was perfect. But in this season, it seems like there's just way too much of it. 3 equalizers a leg is just crazy, and it prevents the stronger teams from doing consistently well. Sure, it creates even more drama, but it's going overboard.
    Bunching is crucial to TAR because it can really make the show. It makes every episode a new episode, where you don't know what will happen. The strong racers still pull ahead in the legs, even if there is bunching in the beginning. It allows for much more drama than there would be without it. Colin and Christie pulled way ahead of the other teams after using a Fast Forward in TAR5, but an equalizer took away most of their lead. Was this fair? Not at all. But Colin and Christie still finished to arrive first that leg because they were such a strong team The loss of their lead added drama for the viewers who wondered if Colin and Christie would still be able to pull ahead (especially for those of us who had them pegged for first in the prediction game).
    What has hurt this season is the over-bunching. There's just too much. Every team being on the same flight, everything's hours of operation, etc, etc. Flights are a major part of TAR, and the best teams used to be those that could manage their flights best. But this season, there is very little flight management, and no teams are being seperated and split up because of flight choices. I enjoy when a team gets a bad flight, lands an hour behind some of the other teams, but still catches up at the Roadblock and gets a 3rd place finish. Of course, flights have also eliminated teams, and this can sometimes be dissapointing (such as with Bob and Joyce last season; they were actually a fine team, but a bad flight caused them to arrive last). But they add a crucial element of drama to TAR, and this season just went too far.
    Hopefully the bunching will decrease in future episodes so that strong teams can pull off the strong finishes they deserve. But until then, we just have to watch and enjoy the drama that this season is giving us, even if every leg is a re-start.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius
    Thank god Kris and Jon were eliminated. Furthermore, they checked in 1st in that leg.
    By the way, I have no idea what you meant by this. Maybe I just missed something, but I could have sworn Kris and Jon were still in the race. Perhaps you could help me out with a little clarification?

Sorry that that ended up being so long. I didn't intend to go on like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast