+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roadblock limits?

FORT Regular

Roadblock limits?

The new "six-roadblock-limit" introduced for TAR 6 seems to have a solid basis, but is it perhaps too stringent?

If there's going to be a total of 11 (or 12) roadblocks, then it would be fair to make sure that one player doesn't monopolize all of them. However, there seems to be a few problems with this approach: the main issue being one of what happens if a person gets an RB challenge at the end of the race they have to do but can't (simplest example: eating a food they're allergic to or can't eat because of dietary restrictions/religious beliefs)?

Also, is it right to make the limit 6? Would it be better served by allowing slightly more flexibility--say, 7 RB's per player maximum?

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I can see both sides of the argument for the new rule, but I like the way it has been in the past. It was a chance you took when deciding your partner for the race. Ideally, both partners should be able to do anything, but in a team race there are strengths and weaknesses to both members of the team. One teammate might be good at navigation, driving, communicating with locals (we have seen this in the past) while the other teammate is good at the physical stuff. Maybe they should make it so that the teammates have to switch up on the driving and other aspects as well.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Leo
    Premium Member
    It would bother me if all the tasks were all extremely physical tasks that someone like, say, Hayden or Kendra or Mary Jean would have trouble with. If they mix up the Roadblocks properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the real question is, who do we name this rule after - Kim or Charla from TAR 5, or Zach from TAR 3?
    Last edited by Leo; 11-24-2004 at 09:30 AM.

I love the new rule!

I've been complaining about the Flo/Kim types for the past couple of TAR's. Its not a "team" when one person does literally ALL the roadblocks (and that person usually does the driving too).

There are NO "alpha male" teams this year. The only all-male team was eliminated on the first leg. That makes it an even playing field. If Kenda's not great at a physical challenge, its ok, because Hayden might not be either. And it rewards the teams thinking ahead and properly assigning the right team member for each roadblock.

Plus, just from a TV viewer's perspective, it gets boooring watching Chip do this and Chip do that, and Chip do this again. It makes for better TV mixing up the team members and giving everyone more camera time. Hell, I hardly knew Kim was there 90% of the time last year.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Why does everyone keep referring to Chip/Kim? Colin did most of the roadblocks as did Brandon last season. Every season it happens, why was it such a problem last season? At least Kim did attempt at least one (the same amount as Christie & Nicole).
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Leo
    Premium Member
    You said it yourself - all the final three teams had one guy doing most of the roadblocks. The producers didn't want the roadblock to turn into an Alpha Male Show.

in banana world
    Quote Originally Posted by lone1c
    The new "six-roadblock-limit" introduced for TAR 6 seems to have a solid basis, but is it perhaps too stringent?

If there's going to be a total of 11 (or 12) roadblocks, then it would be fair to make sure that one player doesn't monopolize all of them. However, there seems to be a few problems with this approach: the main issue being one of what happens if a person gets an RB challenge at the end of the race they have to do but can't (simplest example: eating a food they're allergic to or can't eat because of dietary restrictions/religious beliefs)?

Also, is it right to make the limit 6? Would it be better served by allowing slightly more flexibility--say, 7 RB's per player maximum?
    As for not being able to eat a food because of allergies, religion or dietary reasons, I am pretty sure that the contestants undergo an amount of tests and interviews and forms to be filled out prior to the race, that determines what they can or cannot eat. So I think the producers make sure that all the contestants can eat the food on roadblocks.

I love this new rule. It makes players have to think ahead. I liked don & Mary Jean's strategy of that she'd do all the RB's that didn't require strength. Smart. too bad Don just barreled on ahead & did the RB, when MJ really wanted to do it & could have done it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I like the new rule too. It allows us to see actual teamwork, versus one person picking up all the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Now, the real question is, who do we name this rule after - Kim or Charla from TAR 5, or Zach from TAR 3?
    I already started calling it the Kim Rule.

I like this rule, because it prevents the guys from doing all the Roadblocks... everyone has to do their fair share. That's why it's called a TEAM. Also like happybanana said, the producers make sure the racers can do this. They're not going to give them an impossible challenge....
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast