+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roadblock limits?

JR.
    Just like a detour, one option is usually quicker but more difficult. They have to take a chance.

Think of all the drama if a Zach used up all his Roadblocks and the Flo is frustrated at a particularly difficult one.

You can argue about tweaking the number of Roadblocks a person may perform, but it would take more math and explanation than simply saying to do your half.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    You can't have the rule stated as minimum, because not all Teams get to the same number of RBs. I would've preferred a rule that didn't allow one member to do more than twice the number of RBs that the other member has done. It would still force Teams to spread the RB love around. For example, it would allow Teams that make it through the 9th leg to have one person that has done as many as 5 (but not 6) of their 8 RBs. A Team that makes it to the end (12 RBs) could have one person that has done as many as 8 RBs.
    OK. Perhaps the way to do it is to have a limit on the number of times someone can do it in a row. That way you don't have a fixed limit, but you could create more havoc because the roadblock that A could finish in a minute has to go to B because they didn't trade off often enough.

I think that this change is for the better. One of my (two) complaints with Chip & Kim was that Kim consistantly passed everything to Chip. And Mirna passed everything to Charla, And Colin had to do everything or he would be seen as unmanly, or something. Besides, I would have loved watching Colin's head explode if Christie had to race Karen up the cliff. Linda and Karen actually traded RBs, which I like to see.
    Amazing Race 7: Merideth & Gretchen, And that's It.
    The Apprentice: I like Angie, and Erin! Now Tana & Kendra
    Survivor: Um... ? Someone?
    KATT'S RULE!![/size]

FORT Newbie
    I love the new rule.

It will take strategy for the teams to decide when and who should do the roadblock. It also will give teams who don't contain an athletic male to have a chance to go to the end. Most roadblocks are tasks that anyone could do. And one of the great joys of TAR is watching people doing things they didn't think they could/would do.

Wasn't it great to see Maria scared and worried at the top of Holmenkollen and giggling and excited by the bottom? She conquered the task, and if her teammate had been some athletic male, instead of another female, she'd never have done it.

That's what I want to see, and that's why I LOVE the new rule.

Quote Originally Posted by lone1c
    OK. Perhaps the way to do it is to have a limit on the number of times someone can do it in a row. That way you don't have a fixed limit, but you could create more havoc because the roadblock that A could finish in a minute has to go to B because they didn't trade off often enough.
    Wouldn't this be more confusing to a new viewer?

Does anyone keeping track of who's doing what RB?
    If not, I might do it myself.
    "I was ionized, but I'm OK now", Buckaroo Banzai

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I might be off by one, but here's the count so far:

Hayden: 1 Aaron: 2
    Kris: 1 Jon: 2
    Jonathan: 2 Victoria: 1
    Lori: 1 Bolo: 2
    Freddy: 1 Kendra: 2
    Adam: 3 Rebecca: 0
    Gus: 2 Hera: 1
    Don: 2 Mary-Jean: 1

And here's who's done what:

RB #1 (the zipline)
    Aaron
    Jon
    Jonathan
    Bolo
    Kendra
    Adam (will we ever forget 'I love you mom')
    Hera
    Don
    Kristy
    Maria

RB #2 (who's got hayfever) for the record, my least favorite one, because it ousted one of my favorite teams.
    Adam
    Aaron
    Jon
    Victoria
    Bolo
    Freddy
    Gus
    Don
    Lena ( )

RB #3 (who wants to bathe in rose water?)
    Jonathan
    Adam
    Kris
    Hayden
    Lori
    Kendra
    Gus
    Mary-Jean
    Last edited by karalott; 12-10-2004 at 10:29 PM.

FORT Newbie
    But guys, remember. They are given a hint of the task via the cryptic clue given. Usually when the racers look at those clues, they have to make a choice as to who will do it BASED on that clue.

For example, "Who wants to perform an Olympian feat?" is kinda vague, because there's no telling what this "Olympian feat" entails. So that probably explains why the guys will take this one, because they think its something physical. No one can tell what they have to do, even if its at a location that's glaringly obvious. Who knew they had to ride the zip-line 1000 ft? No one. No one knows what they have to do until they do it.

While the above may only refer to several RBs, others like the Hay Bales and the Salt Harvest were pretty direct. But once again, "Who wants to bathe in rose water?" doesn't reveal much of a hint as to what's to come, even though the teams KNOW they're in an area where salt is harvested. There's probably lots of challenges that could be done at Lac Rose, but its because the salt harvest is what's done over there at Lac Rose that it becomes a challenge for the teams.

After ALL the drivel, I like this new rule because it will not end up like a Flo/Christie/Nicole/Kim scenario where only a team-member did 1, which is grossly unfair to their partner, even if they don't verbally say its unfair for them.

Take Adam, who goes into the challenges not knowing what to do. "I don't know about this, though"; "I have no idea what I'm supposed to do." I think Rebecca should do the RBs from here on out because a) its high time she did one, b) she saves herself loads of trouble for trying to encourage Adam when she can do it herself, c) she won't have to here Adam to ask her to "Shut up.", d) Adam is physically weak despite his physique. (what good are they when they can't even lift a basket of salt?)

Heh, at least he's DOING the Roadblocks, and she's just standing there saying she could have done it better. Then why didn't you do it, then?

Am I the only Adam fan here?
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast