+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a TAR newbie

Premium Member
    Quick question about the yield. Cable101 explained it very well in an earlier post but I have another question. Can the yield be used more than 1 time in the same leg, meaning if the Team that arrived there 3rd yielded the 4th place Team, could say the 5th place Team come along and yield the 6th place Team?? Or, once it's used in that leg by somebody, then it is used up and done??

The yield can only be used once per leg and each team can only yield once in the entire game.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    are the viewers or the racers told that it will be a non-elimination leg, prior to the start of that leg or do they find out once they reach their destination?
    If you listen closely while the racers are reading the clue to get to the pit stop, they will either read "the last team will be eliminated" or "the last team may be eliminated"

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by babydollbrat
    If you listen closely while the racers are reading the clue to get to the pit stop, they will either read "the last team will be eliminated" or "the last team may be eliminated"
    Untrue, last week and through all of TAR 5 and 6 so far the clues have said "MAY be eliminated." So you really can't know.

I believe this may have been discussed a number of times elsewhere here, but regarding the non-elim legs...

I believe Steve/Dave (TAR4) told us at some point that before their Race started they knew that NO non-elim legs would occur prior to a particular Leg (say Leg 5, for example). After that Leg, they would begin to occur at the pre-determined points in their Race (known in advance by the producers, but not by the Racers).

It was speculated that starting with TAR5, the Racers were told that non-elims could occur earlier than they did before (say Leg 3 instead of Leg 5, for example).

As far as viewers knowing. The first few Races, there were clues, etc., that could be picked up on that would help us know when one was coming up in the current or next episode. But, for the past few Races, that's not really been the case. They are surprises to us as well. Which is how it should be. We should be kept in suspense just like the Racers are. They should be Racing hard all the time, regardless. And, we should be Watching intently all the time, regardless.

It's still to be determined in TAR6 whether the last placers on NEL get their ca$h taken away like in TAR5. Kinda hope not. Hope they change it to some other "penalty". Or a less severe cash-stripping, plus something else, like time loss.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

In retrospect I should have called this thread "Questions and Observations from a TAR Newbie". After last nights show I cant believe how grueling this game is, I think this leg was 30 to 36 hours long. How do they keep this pace for the duration of the game?
    After thinking about the non-elimination episodes, I don't think I like the secrecy of it, I think that may afford the Producers the opportunity to allow a team that they think might draw ratings to stay in the game, a sort of get out of jail free card. For example "Blue Hair", I would hate to see not be eliminated because of a non-elim episode.
    Quick question, the 30 minute penalty assesed to the couple last night, how common is that? Has it ever led the offending team to elimination?
    Thanks
    Some legs last as long as 3-4 days. Remember last season on Leg 4 where they went to St. Petersburg, it took them a day by bus to Buenos Aires, another day and a half of flying to Russia, to only reach their first clue. The shortest legs lasts at least 7 hours, one of the shorter legs I remember was in Season 3 in where they raced within Switzerland. There had been talks about whether the non-elimination legs are actually pre-determined, but most of us including me believes that they are pre-determined, just like Phil and the producer says, and we would never not believe them!

The 30 minute penalty had been assesed very often in past seasons, mostly due to misreading of clues or speeding. If it is a misreading of clues, the penalty would add up how many minutes the team earned for what they had done, plus the 30 minutes. Heather and Eve from season 3 were philiminated for a 37 minute penalty, due to the teams arriving so closely together within 31 minutes. If a Detour or Roadblock its completely mis-done, a team will receive a 24 hour penalty that would definitely put that team out of the race. I miss Nancy and Emily!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten
    So basically, anyone can win!
    Except if your talking about bowling moms........

I made myself feel bad..........
    I LOVE KATAMARI!
    YOU LOVE KATAMARI!
    WE LOVE KATAMARI!

<- The Shark Is This
    ^
    | THERE HE IS!!!!!!

Premium Member
    Is the fact that Don and Mary Jean had to give all their remaining money to Phil a normal penalty for finishing last in the non-elim leg? If so, what do they do now??

Is the fact that Don and Mary Jean had to give all their remaining money to Phil a normal penalty for finishing last in the non-elim leg? If so, what do they do now??
    In a word, beg.

eta: That penalty was added in TAR5.

Can a team borrow money or beg money from another team?
    Can a team pay the cab/bus/train fees for another team?
    "I was ionized, but I'm OK now", Buckaroo Banzai

+ Reply to Thread