+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a TAR newbie

Also,

According to the Glossary Page on CBS' Amazing Race web site, there again will be only 2 Fast Forwards during the whole race but there will be a Yield available on every leg.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing...glossary.shtml

By far the best fast forward moment was in TAR 1 on the leg from Bangkok to southern Thailand.

Quick recap:

A mother/daughter team and "team guido" (a pair of male life partners who were evil) both went for the same fast forward at this temple of the reclining buddha in Bangkok, and team Guido won, so they could go straight to the pit stop on a beach in southern Thailand.

By this time the mother/daughter had fallen FAR behind the other teams and went back to the regular task of looking for a marked van they could drive to the next task, but they were so disheartened and couldn't find the van, so they took a taxi figuring it just wasn't worth the effort and wanting to get it over with.

Meanwhile, team guido decided to take a day off, getting a hotel room, shopping, and drinking champagne in Bangkok because their bus didn't leave until something like 12 hours later and they didn't want to pay for a cab the whole way down.

So the mother/daughter team finished the other challenges and arrived to find out that they actually BEAT team guido! BUT because they broke the rules and took a cab instead of the marked vehicle, they were given a time penalty (was it 6 hours? 12 hours?). And when team guido arrived last, the mother/daughter still wound up being eliminated because of the time penalty.

That was a GREAT episode.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Premium Member
    Thanks to all for such in-depth analysis, I knew after watching on Saturday night that it was not just a matter of who got there first, that seemed too simple, I figured there were obstacles and twists that had to be involved. But, funny enough, even though there were no twists or hardships on the 1st episode, I found the game really interesting and I am definitely hooked.
    My only point of reference for Reality TV is Survivor, so I kind of base everything on what I have seen and learned on Survivor, which, leads me to a couple more things. On Survivor, the logistics crew has a home base, a camp where they have a doctor, commissary, cafeteria and the like, this game is all over the place all at once with even more contestants then on Survivor, does the production crew (Who obviously is involved with the mayhem from get go) ever get involved? As Leo mentioned earlier a camera crew slowed down a team, Is this a common problem? I would imagine the production team would be more visible and possibly detrimental (even though not intentionally) to the contestants. Because of the pace and speed demonstrated by the teams, how much of the production crew interaction is identifiable by the viewers? My final question, In the final episode of the season, how many teams are still in it, and where do they finish, does the final destination change in each version?? Thanks in advance... RC

FORT Regular
    The Final Destination City is always different, and always in the U.S. There are three teams left for the final leg.

I think they have done a good job of keeping the camera crews from being a hindrance, they will often station an extra crew at marker points where the teams must get there next clue so that if the accompanying crew gets left behind the crew at the clue box will be able to capture them until the accompanying crew can catch up.

One of the issues lightly touched upon above is bunching. This is the practice of having the teams visit a place/attraction that has specific hours of operation. Invariably the lead team will get there in the middle of the closed period and will need to wait until it reopens allowing most if not all the other teams to catch up. This artificially creates a level racing field over and over. Great for episodic tension, frustrating when rooting for a favorite who currently has the lead.

It should also be noted, that last season the last team on the non-elimination legs had to forfeit all their money. I donít think anyone here liked that new rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass
    By far the best fast forward moment was in TAR 1 on the leg from Bangkok to southern Thailand.

So the mother/daughter team finished the other challenges and arrived to find out that they actually BEAT team guido! BUT because they broke the rules and took a cab instead of the marked vehicle, they were given a time penalty (was it 6 hours? 12 hours?). And when team guido arrived last, the mother/daughter still wound up being eliminated because of the time penalty.

That was a GREAT episode.
    The Time Penalty they recieved was 24 hours. All though in recent episodes...teams can't check in, unless they completed all tasks.

I think this may have been covered in a previous post, but in the event teams do something wrong (such as Heather and Eve of TAR3 taking a TAXI to a pitstop, when the clue clearly stated walking), the team gets penalized for the time advantage that they gained plus an addional 30 minutes. (Hince..by driving to the pitstop, they gained at least 7 minutes...so with that plus the additional 30 minutes, the penalty was 37 minutes) typically in most legs, penalties don't play a huge factor (usually the penalized team drops a spot or two) but in this case, the difference from first and last was about 31 minutes
    Other ways to get penalized is by not following specific instructions. Season 3's Damon and Andre (Cop/Fireman known as Team 911) In the first leg in Mexico, they chooose a detour that requried them, to follow a specific route on a map. They took a shortcut, and were penalized. Season 1..teams had to take a train and were required to get off at a certin stop. Two teams didnt, and they got penalized

As for trips, usually a trip is offered to the first place team(s) during the 1st leg, as well as legs 6 - 12 (the last leg obviously is the $Million) (This pattern was used from Seasons 3 on Even though, in Season 3, first prizes were digital cameras from Kodaks, and a trip was thrown in once in a while...or was used to reward a team who allready won a pair of cameras. In Season 2....it was leg 1, and 9-12 a first prize trip was used. Season 1 no first prize bonuses)
    Last edited by SpikedBladeZero; 11-22-2004 at 03:05 AM.
    "As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything. You Feel Less Pain" - Squall (Final Fantasy VIII)

how do they wash their clothes?
    do they buy their own food?
    "I was ionized, but I'm OK now", Buckaroo Banzai

They wash their clothes at each pit stop. They eat large meals at the pit stops, but they sometimes spend some of their money on snacks during the actual race.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

TAR - Simply the best

A couple of questions from a veteran TAR fan...

1. Haven't heard from ATC Dave or Steve - are they still out there??? Consider this a "ping" for a response from either one.

2. Maps during each leg - I know that each team has them - are they provided by the producers or is it up to each team to purchase them (like at a gas station along the way). It seemed to me that one team was following everyone else because they didn't have a map - was that Lori and Bolo (can't remember)?

Sure we are! We were in Vegas scoping out locations for FoRTCon 2005. Oh, and we also celebrated the new season with 14 other Amazing Racers at the Monte Carlo. Good times, especially when you win at Black Jack.
    This season should be as fun as all the others only with a lot more yelling and arguing. My guess is the favorite teams will be the ones that get along with each other.

+ Reply to Thread