+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gus and Hera

Gus and Hera

Pictures and information from the Official Amazing Race 6 Site

Gus and Hera

[IMG]images/img/GusHera.jpg[/IMG]

Bio

Gus & Hera are a father and daughter from and Gaithersburg, Maryland and Los Angeles, California, respectively. Gus is a former CIA agent, covert operative and the first person to fly an open-cockpit plane to the North Pole. Hera is a special education teacher and holds a Masters degree in special education with a cross-cultural emphasis.

Gus & Hera describe themselves as intelligent and resourceful, but also as aggressive and headstrong, and they often butt heads. Gus says Hera can be extremely stubborn, but he sees that as an extension of his own personality.

While Hera says the money is her prime motivation for doing THE AMAZING RACE, Gus says that having this experience with his child will help him relate to her as an adult and see how he did as a parent.

Q&A

How would you describe your previous travel experience?

Gus: I am a seasoned world traveler with lots of experience.

Hera: I have traveled to a few places in Europe and all over the Caribbean and Middle America. I also lived in South Africa for half a year and traveled around southern Africa for a little while.

What is the most stressful aspect of traveling?

Gus: Getting enough sleep.

Hera: I think language barriers can be really stressful. I can remember when I was in France on a family vacation, and as soon as we got off the plane, my dad started speaking English in a French accent as if that would help. Ha ha.

Why did you want to be on THE AMAZING RACE?

Gus: I wanted to take the time to be with my daughter.

Hera: I wanted to be on THE AMAZING RACE because I love adventure, and I think my father and I needed bonding time because we really have never had a common goal that could bring us together. The Race presented itself as a chance to really test our relationship and, for me, to show my father--and many other people in my life--how strong I am.

Have you and your partner traveled together before? If so, what was it like?

Gus: Hera is my little girl. We have traveled together many times as a family, but never together alone. Hera can be very stubborn, but so can I.

Hera: Yes, we have traveled a lot together. My father and I travel very differently! He doesn't mind eating at gas stations and not ever stopping to pee, and I am really picky about my food and have to pee a lot. I also have issues with not getting enough sleep. He has issues waking up early.

What do you fear most about competing in THE AMAZING RACE?

Gus: My biggest fear is that we will be the first Team eliminated.

Hera: My biggest fear is disappointing my family, my friends and my students. I want people to see me as the strong, intelligent black woman that I am, not "the black bitch." I want my father to be proud of the daughter he raised. I want my mother to smile, knowing that she was and is my rock and I am a reflection of how she raised me.

What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?

Gus: My strength will be that I will always be calm and deliberate. My weakness will be that I will always be calm and deliberate.

Hera: My strength is that I am stubborn, determined and athletic. There are a lot of strengths that my father and I share, but sometimes I can bring determination when the mood is down.

What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?

Gus: Hera has a good mind and can react to a situation as need be. Her weakness is that she can let her emotions get the better of her.

Hera: My dad is one of the most intelligent people I know. He is also really good at reading people. When I am emotional, he has the ability to stay focused and not let his emotions rule him.

What will you miss the most from home (besides your bed)?

Gus: I will miss my wife most on this trip.

Hera: I get really cold easily! I think I will miss being able to put on clean, warm clothes. I will also miss talking to my mother, because not a day goes by that we don't talk.

What languages do you speak?

Gus: I speak English and some German.

Hera: I speak English, and I try to speak French on occasion!

What destination are you hoping to visit?

Gus: I'm looking forward to wherever we go. I'm getting to see how my little girl has grown and getting a chance to meet the woman she has become.

Hera: I am partial to the continent of Africa, so if you see me anywhere in Africa, I will probably be happy!

What country do you feel best prepared for?

Gus: I feel we will do best in Europe.

Hera: I am not sure I can say I would be best prepared for anywhere! I think I could probably do pretty well in South Africa because I lived there, but anywhere else is fair game. I can get lost in my backyard if the activity warranted.
    Last edited by cali; 10-29-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Amazing Race whore
    I could see myself liking this team. One of the more normal teams this season.

Yeah, they do seem pretty "normal"...

Gus & Hera are a father and daughter from and Gaithersburg, Maryland and Los Angeles, California, respectively. Gus is a former CIA agent, covert operative and the first person to fly an open-cockpit plane to the North Pole. Hera is a special education teacher and holds a Masters degree in special education with a cross-cultural emphasis.
    Wow. These two have quite a background.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I'm a sucker for the daddy-daughter teams. And the name "Gus."
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Gus is a great name, then add Hera too the mix and the names ROCK!

I lived in Gaithersburg for years. That doesn't mean anything, just thought I'd mention it.

I hope they last a while.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

JR.
    Sweet, he knows how to make people disappear!

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Aww, i like this team. But father/child pairs never usually go far .
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

in a small small world made of green and blue :)
    i believe this team wont last because this kind of pair just doesnt last. not a big fan of theirs at the moment...
    `~`~ When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world would know PEACE.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I like these guys just because of their names. Gus and Hera. It kind of rolls off your tongue. Or the football playing donkey and the Greek goddess.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast