+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TAR 5 - overall assessment?

Leo
    Premium Member

TAR 5 - overall assessment?

Now that the season is over, what do you think of this season overall - less the teams (since there's a thread for that already), but more of the race's tasks and editing.

Overall, it was a good season, but I was disappointed in several aspects - I wasn't as impressed by the difficulty of the race, especially compared to TAR 4. Also, this is a peeve of mine, I was not impressed at all by the first Philippine leg at all.

As for the rule changes, I didn't like any of them either. The Yield, as it turned out, was used only once, and personally I liked seeing the variety of tasks the Fast Forward gave us in every leg. The post-NEL money rule, also, was a needless change, and, as it turned out, didn't matter one bit.

Any other thoughts?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Huge improvement over last season (especially the finale.) Even though C&C were delayed an hour, it still made it look like they were right behind C&K. Loved the challenges this season, loved the locations (finally hit Egypt and almost all new countries, didn't stay in one spot too long) loved the Yield and taking away the money (it needed a change to keep racers on they're toes. I think we'll see the Yield used more often next season.)

I'd like the eating challenges to be more about getting past an aversion to unfamiliar food than the sheer quantity someone could eat. The live baby octopi and the strange tasting medicinal herb drink (TAR3?) were far more interesting than the caviar and the ostrich egg.

The moms got a bad break with having the most demanding physical task (cliff climb) so close to the end. I'd prefer those be earlier in the race and that the stuff at the end be tactical/scary rather than brute strength/stamina.

All in all, I found the people of TAR5 quite compelling. Love em or hate em, we did have a good mix of people to cheer and to boo.

Didn't care for the Yield. I think there should be a FF on every leg until they're down to 6 teams. One less NEL would suit me just fine. And, while we're on the topic, don't let the teams start looking for money until their pit stop is over.

FORT Fogey
    Aceon6 you said most of what I thought when reading the title of this thread. The cliff climb was not a fair assessment of a team's abilities as the 2nd to last leg, the maze and the diving for clams and flag test (knowledge) were great!

I agree, the begging should not be until the time they begin their leg - not the 12 hours they are supposed to rest.

I hated the yield, not because of it's result (loved that 3 teams would have wanted to use it), but because it was only used once. The Fast Forward should be available each leg, so teams can really strategize when to use it or not. Also, the final NEL should never be to determine the final 4...they should be sprinkled throughout, not all so close to the end it seemed like. 1 fewer or 2 fewer would be just fine with me.

I was so happy that finally a team that I really liked all the way through actually won, and having a non-whiny team and a team that did NOT benefit from a NEL this season.

I didn't like the NEL to determine the final 4. I would have prefered a NEL much earlier in the race, it lets you get to know teams better.

The yield didn't bother me. I wish there were more fast forwards. I liked the mix of teams, there was a whole range of people to cheer for and against.

I wasn't thrilled about the endurance eating tasks, one would have been fine. There was a mix of interesting different tasks, but it seemed like there were a few repeats (endurance eating and climbing to a high place)

I liked this season very much, I found it enjoyable.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Unfortunately I missed Season 2 & part of 3 no thanks to night school :phhht, so I can't compare against those two, but I really enjoyed this season. Still I have a soft spot for AR 1 just because that was what got me hooked, and watching Kevin and Drew refer to each other as fat guy every episode is a classic.

The Yield was practically useless, so just get rid of it. I think competitors in the show appreciate the fact that they are competing based on their strengths and not some stupid yield. What makes AR unique compared to other reality tv competitions is that it doesn't feed off of the typical dirtiness, shadiness, lying, backstabbing, cheating, hooking up, manipulating, toe sucking..............

I would like for them to bring back the Fast Forwards.

But what I think really made this season interesting is the people. They had a good variety of people: bad guys, good guys, dumb sisters, annoying brothers, younger, older, etc. They were all interesting.

After watching this, I really wish they would do an all-star version.

FORT Newbie
    I loved the final episode. I was on my feet the whole time glued to the TV rooting for C&K to win.

I think they should remove the yield since it was only used once and they should get back to the old format of the FF.

I also agree that begging for money should start at the beginning of the next leg and not during the rest period.

One thing I did not like this season was the lack of driving-on-your-own tasks. I think in the past and partially this season, that reading a map, looking for directions, interacting with the locals was a more interesting and exciting thing to watch.

Overall, I liked the season and I am happy that my pick made it all the way through.

I hated the number of NELs. I don't remember this many last year. After each NEL, i feel absolutely cheated, and think of all the things i could have done with the previous hour, instead of wasting it watching an episode that didn't matter. Taking away the money did not hurt the racers at all, as not one of the penalized teams lost the next week. I would prefer fewer NELs, and definitely near the beginning of the season. One of the final 4 getting to beat elimination was ridiculous.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Now that the season is over, what do you think of this season overall - less the teams (since there's a thread for that already), but more of the race's tasks and editing.
    I liked the yield, when it was used. I just think it would have been much more interesting if the yield was anonymous and it meant the waiting team had to complete an additional task before moving forward. I understand it makes the waiting team a bit more antsy to do nothing but it is also not so fun to watch for the viewer.

Way too many NEL. Stick to two a race. The last NEL at the final four I felt so cheated. I almost didn't want to watch the show after that.
    Last edited by TellTaleOrange; 09-23-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    As much as I hated having C&C saved by that NEL, I'm glad it was there, because it made the finale so much better. Having a team get eliminated instead of just having them show up and be told they're not eliminated is boring, and doesn't provide any real race element to it.

I don't think there were any more NEL this season than past ones, although they weren't so close together. I say mix them up next year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast