+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TAR 5 - overall assessment?

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    4 non-eliminations really stunk it up...Why can't the producers just add more teams?

The yield was a disaster in my opinion and they should go back to a FF every leg.

Other than that, I feel like this was the best season yet.

A midget, a minority team thats likeable AND goes far, Alison and Donny eliminated quickly, bowling moms and hot-headed Colin...its going to be hard to top it!

I agree with most of the posts this on this season. I have LOVED AR since the first season and got some co-workers hooked and my big sister sooooo Hooked that she and her husband actually called in sick from work on Monday because their son had a day off from school and watched ALL the AR5 episodes they taped to get ready for the finale..

I did like this season a lot. Maybe because now I have friends and family as excited about the show as me.

That being said. 4 NELs is too much UNLESS you have some at the beginning... I also agree w/other that the last leg was way way way to physical.. They should have made the climb about half of what it was... That would have been better tv. Forget what is fair...

I still love the show and will continue to watch.. I think the sound guy or whoever picks that TENSE music should win an EMMY... That gets my heart racing..

Everyone has pretty much given an opinion that a lot of others share. I agree with the lack of FF and the lack of use for the Yield.

When it comes to the seasons of TAR I've seen, I've only seen season 1 and 5 in full, with season 2 here and there, and I never found out who won. Though, I have to say I really enjoyed the cast this time, much like the first season. A team to root for, a team who just annoys me, and a team who I just don't want to win (more like the villian who you don't want taking over the world say).

I thought it was quite clever of the moms (was it the moms, or the twins?) that came up with the plan to beg for money once they reached the pit stop. While it was great for the teams this season, next season they should be forced to wait the following day. While it showed that the teams could overcome this obstecle, some teams may not fair as well, or they may be in an area where it's just not possible to beg for money (few tourists). Of course, if that's the case, and more "Drive to Point X" are in, then money is no longer a major factor as it was this season. I think the producers wanted to see more ride hitching and beging than there was.

Overall, very impressed, but everyone has very valid points on the FF and Yields this season.

Added: And yeah, the NEL's. The two in a row this season round was a lil' much. Spreading them out would be great, of if you want to keep them in, at least remove one.

FORT Regular
    For me, they casted way too many couples this season, how bout bringing in more friends next time? The yield thingy is okay with me, but, correct me if im wrong, there are no limitation as to the number of times u can be yielded right? if that's the case, then i would say it should be fixed that one team can only be yielded once, along with one chance of yielding others...Since the money stripping twist didnt make such a big impact, how bout giving ALL the teams less money next time on the start of each leg? this way they will hafta figure out the cheapest means of travelling, i have seen more travelling in cabs this season than ever...(is a luxury really, travelling in cabs)...Also, i felt it would be more exciting if four teams were to go into competing in the finals, instead of three. I agree with u guys that the NELs be brought forward to the earlier episodes, bring back the FF, for heaven's sake and have more challenging tasks (riddles, puzzles, something that requires them to know more of the culture in the country they are in, and to ask for help from the locals)....less on the wow-i-am-lucky kinda tasks...with that being said, im looking forward to a more entertaining TAR 6...

This was my 1st season of watching TAR. The way I came about watching it is kinda funny. It was a Saturday, the 1st episode was being repeated, and nothign was on T.V. I decided to give it a try, what could happen? That 1st episode, and Cali's recaps had me hooked. I fell in love with the show. I'm not sure about other seasons, when I find someone who has them on dvd, or vhs, I'll buy them. Overall, I loved the show, and I'm eagerly waiting for TAR 6. To Colin and Christie, thanks for making the show entertaining. To the Linda and Karen, thanks for getting as far as you did, despite the diffcult challenges. To Brandon and Nicole, thanks for being there. Finally, to Chip and Kim, CONGRATS! You worked hard, and I'm proud of you. Keep being nice, it pays off in the long run.
    Annoy a conservative: think for yourself.
    Myrosiedog

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    For me, they casted way too many couples this season, how bout bringing in more friends next time? The yield thingy is okay with me, but, correct me if im wrong, there are no limitation as to the number of times u can be yielded right? if that's the case, then i would say it should be fixed that one team can only be yielded once, along with one chance of yielding others...Since the money stripping twist didnt make such a big impact, how bout giving ALL the teams less money next time on the start of each leg? this way they will hafta figure out the cheapest means of travelling, i have seen more travelling in cabs this season than ever...(is a luxury really, travelling in cabs)...
    Season one they traveled in cabs/trains/buses, etc. I don't remember them ever driving themselves on those legs. A couple of times, they were given the option of hiring a driver or driving themselves, but that's it. I think Chip vs. the twins, Colin vs. Mirna, and Colin vs. the Tanzanian taxi driver were all great moments. Moments you wouldn't have gotten if they drove themselves. But I don't think every race should be taxi dependent.

FORT Fogey
    I kept wondering WHY I liked this season so much and decided that most of it was because of the teams. But it couldn't have just been that. I loved the locations! How cool was Egypt? And they didn't spend much time in Europe at all. I could've done without India for sure but otherwise...and that NZ leg? It made me want to do TAR now! I want to sledge and zorb in the worst way now.

Why else did I really like this season compared to the other 2 I'd seen, ESPECIALLY last season? The conflicts! Those were so entertaining.

But yeah, the contestants really did have a lot to do with my enjoyment of the show. I started out liking C&K, Jim & Marsha, and K&K. After episode 3 I didn't like K&K anymore and J&M were my fav team, but got eliminated meaning I had to find someone else to replace them. I grew to like C&C and B&N then...and just loved B&N more and more every episode, ESPECIALLY him. C&C...I lost the love. It's just cool cuz in the other TAR's the people I liked in the first couple of episodes I tended to continue to like and vice versa.

Unlike last year's finale, the F4 teams all had great distinguishable personalities. Last year's F3 had Team Who? Blech.

As for the Yield/FF thing...I wish the FF's hadn't been put on NELs! The Yield seems like it will penalize a weaker team for the most part.

I think they could have like 6 FFs and maybe 5 or 6 Yields.

But we're stuck with tons of NELs as long as they only have 11 or 12 teams racing. They should get 15 teams and then there would be none.

I guess I didn't mind the lack of the driving yourself tasks. It made it obvious that Millie & Chuck would get eliminated when they got lost last year. I remember I thought it was NEL...otherwise it was incredibly predictable.

I'm going to rewatch TAR4, maybe I'll like it better the 2nd time around.

I am unbelievably jealous of the final 3 teams, and the sheer amount of places they got to see. They traveled to 6 continents!! That's amazing. Many of those places I plan on actually visiting myself once I have the means, including St. Petersburg, Buenos Aires, Cairo, New Zealand/Australia, The Philippines, and even Dallas.

The people who are chosen to compete in ANY Amazing Race are incredibly lucky...what a truly amazing experience.

I have to say, though, one of my favorite parts of any season of TAR was the Zorb!! What an awesome toy.

-Dave_B
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

Jay
    Instead of taking the money away from the team that finishes last in a NEL, perhaps their very first clue for the next leg could be far less explicit. For example, let's say the first stop was a museum. The clue to the other teams would say "Drive to the so-so museum and locate the so-so painting". The clue for the last place team would say "Locate the so-so painting".

I really enjoyed this season of TAR, it was much better than last season. This season while watching I found myself getting stressed out hoping my favorites would do well, were last season I did'nt really care who won or lost. This season had much better arrangement of teams, more exciting.
    I did'nt really care for the Yield and I would like to see the regular FF come back. The other thing I don't like is all the NEL are so close together. Sometimes I wonder if they should do a NEL the first episode. Then we could learn about the teams in the beginning.
    Overall though, this season MUCH better than last!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast