+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yield vs Fast Forward

Yield vs Fast Forward

Fast Forward is like some legal nitro-booster to go fast. Yield is like legally punching someone's tire.

Because Yield is an action by one team against a specific team, it does make it personal. I think that is part of the producers' intention.

scenario: You are yielded and you survived. Will you remain cool and objective or will you vow revenge by yielding the team that did it to you?

scenario: Your team found out Jack n Jill yielded the team you get along with well, Hansel & Gretel. How does it affect you?

We are more forgiving of Fast Forward because it's part of TAR since the beginning. Also, movies like Fast and the Furious make use of those nitro-booster thingies, so we feel okay.

Fast Forward is used for survival. Yield is a defensive/offensive mechanism.

I think that is why we don't mind FF more than Yield.

Here's a better scoop on why I don't like the yield:

The yield essentially turns TAR into Survivor. Vote off the biggest threat. In this case, they don't vote that team out, they just yield them out, instead. Now the reason the Fast Forward is not as bad as the yield is because there is no Fast Forward on the final leg, so using it does not knock out the best team from winning...whereas the yield can easily knock out the best team from winning, as we saw from last night.

I see the yield as unfair because it stops the best competition from winning. If you're going to win the race, do it because you're the best, not because you have to hold back the team that IS the best.

-Dave_B
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

I doubt there is a Yield in the final leg either.

Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando
    Fast Forward is like some legal nitro-booster to go fast. Yield is like legally punching someone's tire.

Because Yield is an action by one team against a specific team, it does make it personal. I think that is part of the producers' intention.

We are more forgiving of Fast Forward because it's part of TAR since the beginning. Also, movies like Fast and the Furious make use of those nitro-booster thingies, so we feel okay.

Fast Forward is used for survival. Yield is a defensive/offensive mechanism.

I think that is why we don't mind FF more than Yield.
    Another key difference between the FF and the Yield is that a team has to earn a FF by completing a task. In the history of TAR, some FF tasks have been lame, while others have been quite challenging. Regardless, teams still have to win it before being able to use it. There have been plenty of times -- going all the way back to the very first episode -- when a team has gone for the FF, only to find that another team has beat them to it. There have even been a couple head-to-head FF competitions, which has upped the drama & competitiveness of the race.

The Yield, on the other hand, is not earned or won -- unless getting through Customs quicker than another team can somehow be considered to be "earning" it. It gives a team far too much power without really requiring them to do anything more than race in the usual way and get lucky enough to get to a specific location before someone else. (It would have been better to have the Yield in this last leg placed after the jeepney decorating, rather than before it. The result may have been the same -- this leg wasn't designed to really allow a team to make up the Yield deficit -- but at least it would be perceived as a reward for completing the jeepney task quicker. It would have been competitive, and it would have ratcheted up the drama quotient immensely.)

Also, though use of the FF on a leg most often results in the elimination of another team, it is not an act which specifically targets that team. The FF winner might jump from 6th to 1st, but that still leaves 5 teams battling it out to avoid elimination. The users of the FF are not directly responsible for the elimination of the last place team. The FF winners were only trying to boost their own standing; NOT intentionally targetting another team. (Think how different the "Twin Hunt" in TAR3 would have been had the Yield been in existence then. Derek & Drew would've been toast by the mid-point of the race.)

It's ironic that there has been so much fan outcry about events like the Guidos in TAR1 blocking teams at the security checkpoint or Christie standing in the airport doorway for 5 seconds and interfering with Mirna's access. Yet the Yield is nothing more than producer-sanctioned blocking and interfering (and for a far greater amount of time). As such, it violates the very premise of the race: that teams, though a combination of personal drive, determination, perseverance, savvy and luck, can come out on top.

Yes, the Yield is presently one of the rules of the game. But so was the "Outcast" twist on Survivor: Pearl Islands (another producer-imposed mechanism that violated a basic premise of the show). That doesn't mean it is a good rule or a right one. I have to wonder, had this not been a Non-Elimination Leg, if TPTB would've been happy with losing the most dominant and competitive team this season through the use of the Yield. To me, it would have tainted the end result. (Thinking back on previous Races: had the Yield been in existence, the only team which might have still won the race is Flo & Zach, as they weren't seen as threats. Rob & Brennan, Chris & Alex, and Chip & Reichen could have easily fallen victim to the Yield.)

This is only the first instance of the Yield we've seen, and I certainly hope it is the last.

Although it was entertaining to watch C/C getting yielded but I would really want a deserving team to win the race, that's what I like about TAR.

I hope that the right people are reading this... hopefully TAR will rid itself of the Yield.

I mentioned it in a post in my recap thread, but will say it again... I gave C&C a hard time about the complaining, but honestly I do think of the Yeild as unfair. Chip and Kim did nothing illegal, they have played by the rules and I don't fault them in the least, but I honestly do not like the Yeild at all.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's not just the Yield itself that bothers me. Increasingly, TAR has moved away from the travel aspects of the show and moved towards the action part. We've seen, for example, the editing move towards emphasing the conflct both within and among the teams.

The Yield is another measure meant to make the teams fight more, or at least make it seem that way - and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I am in the minority, but I think the yield is a good addition to the rules. First of all it makes the race more of a race. Yield brings a little bit more tactics to the game play, and people really see where they are standing with their (so called) alliances. It is really not much different from trying to harm the other teams in other ways (and they do try to sneak behind each others backs, yield is just a very visible/real way of harming another team). Fast Forwards are fine, but often in the past I have thought they have been too easy to complete (Fast Forward tasks should have very high risk of total failure imo, but that's just me).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

i think that for AR6 or AR 7 they should keep the yeild and bring back the fast forward and after the first 2 legs they should have both yeilds and fast forwards in every leg thereafter, but both should only be used twice throughout the game and then never twice by any one team. i think that would make it very interesting, seein as one team could jump ahead early with the ff and get yielded later on at a critical moment or vice versa.

You will all be glad to know that I just lost a really long reply to this. And, will keep my second attempt shorter. You are welcome.

TAR6 I am sure was planned/designed months ago, and the impression we have been given is that they loved #5, so I'd guess they kept #6 the same. So, be prepared for that -- I am. TAR6 started racing/filming on Aug 13, and has already been FINISHED. There is nothing we can say now (or for the past two months for that matter) that will have any affect on TAR6.

The best we could hope for would be to influence some change(s) for TAR7.

Here's what I think.

Money-taking. Failed. Yes, a penalty of some sorts was badly needed for NEL, but this is not it. CHANGE -- take either their saved money (my preference), or their next leg money, not both, AND give them an additional time penalty to delay them a bit. That should be sufficient.

FF. Mixed. I liked that it was not in every leg -- it kept the Race more pure in my mind, no "unfair" jump-aheads. I miss the tasks, but like the pureness. However, I think it needs to be bumped up from only 2, to maybe 4 legs with FF. That will put some of the strategy back into it. Plus, maybe a few good tasks to watch as a bonus.

Yield. Mixed. I don't hate it, I don't like it. I definitely don't want to see a Team eliminated directly because of it. [For the record, I am of the belief that C/C last place was NOT due to Yield, but their "broken ox" fiasco.] I think the placement of it during the leg is critical, as well as the length of it. Here is my modification to it that should make it less damaging, but still useful. Instead of Yielding ONE team for a "long" time, it stops all Trailing Teams for a "short" time. You throw up a Yield. When the next Team arrives, the timer starts. Any other arriving Teams also must stop. As soon as the timer is over, all stopped Teams may resume Racing. So, this could affect any number of Teams behind you, but doesn't doom only one of them. This is more like a group of trailing teams getting a delayed flight, a broken down bus, or following each other down the wrong canal in Venice. [Although much shorter than any of those "Yields" would be!] It then gives you breathing room over them, and forces them all to be bunched up. Seems much more fair and reasonable to me.

And, maybe only allow a Team to use EITHER a FF <<>> a Yield, but not both.

And, yes, that is shorter than my original attempt at this. :phhht
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast