+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 : Priceless destinations **Destination spoilers**

TAR5 : Priceless destinations **Destination spoilers**

TAR5 is shaping up to be the most rugged and demanding season of this long-running reality TV show. At the same time, the destinations are comparatively more priceless considering the fact that the racers went to at least three countries with high historical value: Egypt (the pitstop in the Sphinx/Pyramids must have given them an absolute high), Russia (gaining entry, albeit brief, to the Hermitage Museum is a real treat as this is not as frequently visited as the Louvre in Paris), and Tanzania (getting an aerial view of world-renowned Mt. Kilimanjaro is simply breathtaking). What's more, the teams were able to visit Dubai in the UAE - one of the few places in the Middle East that is so well-developed but not part of most international tourists' trip itinerary. Their visits to Argentina and Uruguay are a steal because, on their own, these would be expensive locations to go to. On the other hand, the Auckland leg is like icing on the cake because of the country's reputation for extreme sports, while Manila and Palawan serve as reminders that there is more to Asia than meets the eye.

All things considered, the final 3-4 teams (even including the Twins) for TAR5 definitely had a wild, enjoyable free ride to different parts of the world they are not likely to prioritize in their personally-financed travels.
    Last edited by dragonman64; 09-12-2004 at 11:47 PM.
    Halfway around the world, I greet you "Mabuhay!"

Before TAR5 I would consider TAR1 to have to best racing course around the world, but I would agree with you that this season they had the most precious destinations that viewers would actually be glad to see. I was glad to see Saint Petersburg and what a wonderful city that was.

I think TAR4 had the most boring course, although the race itself was interesting to watch.

Premium Member
    For some illogical reason, I get more of a kick watching them go somewhere I've been, than I do out of watching them going some place new. But I agree that if I had been a racer in TAR 5, I couldn't have asked for a better itinerary. I wonder what it would cost to do that just as a tourist? It would have to be astronomical - even going coach.

Quote Originally Posted by surprise twist
    For some illogical reason, I get more of a kick watching them go somewhere I've been, than I do out of watching them going some place new. But I agree that if I had been a racer in TAR 5, I couldn't have asked for a better itinerary. I wonder what it would cost to do that just as a tourist? It would have to be astronomical - even going coach.
    The price of plane fare, plus local accomodations, in a combo of Russia, Egypt, and Tanzania alone will run up to thousands of dollars, especially if you're coming from the US West Coast. Adding up South America and Middle East to this itinerary will definitely jack up the cost even more. I think it would be safe to estimate that individual cost is within the ballpark figure of US$10,000.00 ++ (on economy class and standard tourist hotels), and more than double the amount on business class. (food, walking-around money, basic shopping, optional tours, and the routes of India, New Zealand, and the Philippines not yet included)
    Last edited by dragonman64; 09-13-2004 at 01:39 AM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonman64
    ......estimate that individual cost is within the ballpark figure of US$10,000.00...
    Holy yikes - well, I'll just be enjoying it vicariously then.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by surprise twist
    Holy yikes - well, I'll just be enjoying it vicariously then.
    Plus they're always buying tickets at the last minute when the price would be even more expensive!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Plus they're always buying tickets at the last minute when the price would be even more expensive!
    In some cases, however, ticket prices could drop significantly. If there is empty unsold space/tickets, they might be selling at a lower price to make some revenue... (The best way to travel is on last-minute cruise deals)

Well yea everything you said is true, but I doubt they much got to enjoy all of it. For example st. Petersburg: Colin yelling about the painting they were looking for, Nikki getting sick from the caviar, Chip scarfing everything down in sight, they just didn't have the time to enjoy it all. So I'm thinking some of them would take the trips to more boring places like Mexico resorts just for the R/R
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Quote Originally Posted by Alanna
    Well yea everything you said is true, but I doubt they much got to enjoy all of it. For example st. Petersburg: Colin yelling about the painting they were looking for, Nikki getting sick from the caviar, Chip scarfing everything down in sight, they just didn't have the time to enjoy it all. So I'm thinking some of them would take the trips to more boring places like Mexico resorts just for the R/R
    Which is why exactly these are priceless destinations. Normally, people would not spend their hard-earned dollars to travel to exotic destinations ahead of the regular tourist routes. And because of the exorbitant prices attached to travelling to these countries, chances are that you wouldn't visit them in your lifetime, unless you get a cash windfall or have so much money to spare. May I also add that travel enjoyment is always a relative thing. I may not like the idea of eating a bowl of caviar, but I sure would love to visit the Hermitage Museum. And should this happen, I will make sure that there are no time constraints to spoil the visit.

A life changing experience

Despite the rushing around; I believe everyone who participated in all of the races were affected ultimately in a positive way by the surroundings they were thrown into. Seeing those places in "real life" must be inspiring even when they have to deal with sensory overload.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast