+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 : Priceless destinations **Destination spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianco
    Before TAR5 I would consider TAR1 to have to best racing course around the world, but I would agree with you that this season they had the most precious destinations that viewers would actually be glad to see. I was glad to see Saint Petersburg and what a wonderful city that was.

I think TAR4 had the most boring course, although the race itself was interesting to watch.
    to everything you said. I think TAR4 had some good destinations, but they spent way too much time in certain areas. Even though TAR3 was Europe heavy, they at least took a break and went to Morocco for a couple of legs before returning to Europe. Same thing with the first season. And TAR2 didn't stay in one spot for more one or two legs, but just kept on going. This season just seems more scenic than past ones. But I've loved that they've been going to new countries and cities, and not repeatings things from seasons past. That was my other problem with last year.

FORT Newbie
    A lot of airlines sell "around the world" tickets which let you visit lots of different countries for the cost of one relatively low price ticket. You just need to pick your stop off cities in advance and I think you need to continue travelling in one direction till your back home.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonman64
    TAR5 is shaping up to be the most rugged and demanding season of this long-running reality TV show.
    I actually am going to disagree with just this part of your statement. In terms of 'rugged' and physically demanding, I'm pretty sure that TAR4 had them hands down. While our route might not have been as scenic, it was by far and away a lot tougher.

And the airline tickets are VERY expensive. Remember that each team drags a cameraman and soundman along as well, for a total of 4 tickets each flight. I saw the bill for one of the flights that we took - tickets that should have cost in the $200-300 apiece range were over $10,000 for the four...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    I actually am going to disagree with just this part of your statement. In terms of 'rugged' and physically demanding, I'm pretty sure that TAR4 had them hands down. While our route might not have been as scenic, it was by far and away a lot tougher.

And the airline tickets are VERY expensive. Remember that each team drags a cameraman and soundman along as well, for a total of 4 tickets each flight. I saw the bill for one of the flights that we took - tickets that should have cost in the $200-300 apiece range were over $10,000 for the four...

Dave
    Come to think of it, dave, I think you're right. I must have thought of rugged, difficult and demanding racers like Colin & Mirna when I posted that.

Regarding the airline tickets, I am shocked with the price you quoted! The airline companies are really profiting from TAR to say the least.
    Halfway around the world, I greet you "Mabuhay!"

This season there are a lot of un-used purchased tickets, just imagined how much tickets Colin and Christie wasted! So TAR are often paying $10000 for nothing!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianco
    This season there are a lot of un-used purchased tickets, just imagined how much tickets Colin and Christie wasted! So TAR are often paying $10000 for nothing!
    But isn't there a rule that there's only so many tickets you can by? I remember reading somewhere (can't remember, it's been awhile) that during season 1 or 2 teams were buying up every ticket they came across, and trying to buy the plane up so other teams couldn't get on.

<Insert Title Here> Defiant_Deviant's Avatar
    IMHO, I agree that TAR4's race course also didn't excite me to much with it's European heavy destinations. However, one thing I greatly appreciated about the season? The fact that they began the race during the winter seasons of countries. That's also why I personally loved the Russia leg. In addition to the fact that it's Russia, but the idea that they went from the sun (Argentina) to the snow (Russia), to the sun again (Egypt) just thrills me to no end. I only wish they visit the winter once more before the race ends.

I joined TAR late in the game...I have only seen this season and last season. I can't tell you how much I LOVE TAR, it borderlines on obsession. I tell everyone at work about it and my email friends....I think a huge part is the destinations and dragonman I completely agree with you. These are some locations not many would choose, but the opportunity to see and experience the unusual must touch most of the teams in ways they will remember forever. Really, the experience and locations alone are priceless. Add personal discovery and what more could anyone want?

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant_Deviant
    IMHO, I agree that TAR4's race course also didn't excite me to much with it's European heavy destinations. However, one thing I greatly appreciated about the season? The fact that they began the race during the winter seasons of countries. That's also why I personally loved the Russia leg. In addition to the fact that it's Russia, but the idea that they went from the sun (Argentina) to the snow (Russia), to the sun again (Egypt) just thrills me to no end. I only wish they visit the winter once more before the race ends.
    If I remember right, Phil actually stated in a pre-race interview that TAR5 will really test the racers' resistance to sudden changes in climate/weather, such that they started with Sta. Monica, CA (cool) - Montevideo, Uruguay (cool/dry) - Buenos, Aires, Argentina (cool/dry):deadhorse - Bariloche, Argentina (cool/windy) - Russia (extremely cold) - Cairo, Egypt (cool/dry/humid) - Luxor, Egypt (dry/humid) - Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (hot/humid) - Dubai (cool/dry/humid) - Calcutta, India (hot/humid) - Auckland, New Zealand (cold/windy) - Manila, Philippines (hot/humid/tropical) - Palawan, Philippines (cool/tropical/windy) - Canada (very cold):santabear - Denver (cold) - Dallas (just right)

These routes can also be a good test on what to pack and otherwise :nono considering that they only have a backpack each to store their personal stuff.
    Halfway around the world, I greet you "Mabuhay!"

CCL
    Hmmm... I notice Canada is "very cold" but Denver is just "cold." Should I as a Canadian be offended by such stereotypes?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast