+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreshadowing??

Foreshadowing??

I'm a fairly new TAR watcher, well for a whole complete season anyway, and I wanted to ask if they usually foreshadow comign storylines. I'm a hung C/C fan and the fact that C/K keep talking about C/C self destructing really bothers me. I don't understand if it's just for this one eppy all this talk was going on or if this is the editor's version of telling us about the demise of C/C.
    So just curious if this has ever happened before??

Also, I suspect the Yield may be a bit of foreshadowing as well, esp Colin saying he doesn't want to win the Race that way...
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

I wouldn't be suprised if the producers did insert some foreshadowing. In both cases the scenes happened in episodes, not at the end of the race. At this point Chip is hoping Colin self-destructs before the end of the race, and Colin commented that he didn't want to win before the end of the race. So the Chip and Colin don't know how it is going to turn out at this point of the production.

But the editors could insert that info intentionally to see if anyone picks it up. Hmmmmmmmm. Interesting question. We'll know soon enough.

And if this is a foreshadowing, is this a spoiler ?

I would just consider it speculation, not truly a spoiler.
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

FORT Fogey
    Yeah who really knows? It might not happen at all and we're just supposed to think it will.

Yes, TAR does foreshadow storylines. You can go all the way back to the first episode of TAR1 and Frank's statement that "Anything but first is a loss" (followed by his flipping out that he was second on the first charter flight). This would turn out to be one of the dominant storylines of that season.

The problem with trying to read "foreshadowing" into any of the statements made by any of the racers is that they all say so many things, how do you decide which ones are "foreshadowing", which ones are "red herrings", and which ones will ultimately prove to be "ironic"?

For example, the Twins have said they want to be the first all-female team to win the race. Is that foreshadowing, or will it prove to be ironic if the Bowling Moms win instead? Or when Colin said he doesn't want to use the Yield to win. Is that foreshadowing that he doesn't use it, or will it be ironic when he does? (Or even more ironic if another team uses it against him?) Even when some statement is used to foreshadow a storyline (such as Kim's concern about Chip throwing money around) when does the foreshadowing stop? It obviously had meaning in that episode, but that doesn't mean it won't come into play again in the future. We'll only be able to tell upon viewing the race again with 20/20 hindsight.

Case in point: I just re-watched the first episode of TAR3, and was surprised to hear Zach make a little throw-away comment, wondering whether Flo could "cut it" and that she seemed "high maintenance". Talk about foreshadowing! Truer words were never spoken, but we had no basis at the time to know just how prophetic they would turn out to be.

Hmm good points LAguy, I truly didn't think of the diff between red herrings, irony, and foreshadowing. However, I think when they continuesly harp on one point: C/C self destructing, I would think it's only irony or foreshadowing. Not a red herring.
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

FORT Fogey
    I was thinking that too Alanna... for some reason I think that they will self-destruct to a certain extent this week, and they will be gone the week after... maybe it's just wishful thinking, I don't know.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    I sure hope it is foreshadowing!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    For example, the Twins have said they want to be the first all-female team to win the race. Is that foreshadowing, or will it prove to be ironic if the Bowling Moms win instead? Or when Colin said he doesn't want to use the Yield to win. Is that foreshadowing that he doesn't use it, or will it be ironic when he does? (Or even more ironic if another team uses it against him?) Even when some statement is used to foreshadow a storyline (such as Kim's concern about Chip throwing money around) when does the foreshadowing stop? It obviously had meaning in that episode, but that doesn't mean it won't come into play again in the future. We'll only be able to tell upon viewing the race again with 20/20 hindsight.
    Don't forget, too, Margarita and Kelly's statements in both TAR1 and 4 about being the last girl left and they felt like they needed to win to prove they could handle it. Both came in second. I think Colin and Chip's statements could go either way. I won't be surprised if Colin uses the Yield or if he gets Yielded by Chip, but I won't be surprised if they just keep running the race the way they have been. Since the Yield hasn't come into play at all this season, maybe the producers are just trying to hype it up to make it look like it will get used. Who knows.

I'm hoping that if the self destruct thing is irony, and it'll happen to C/K because of how much they always talk about karma and how they wish that C/C would self- destruct. Then again Colin could really blow up this week but still come in first, and C/K could continue being nice- nice and come in second. Now THAT would be ironic.
    ~ Sex and the City

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast