Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

FORT Regular

Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

I'm sorry, but I've been watching AR since the first season and year after year it just seems as though the contestants become pushier and pushier.

I do realize there is a fine line between being competitive and being rude, but quite frankly, the way most of the contestants flaunt their I'm-the-center-of-the-universe-arrogance is embarrassing to me as an American.

It seems to be the exception rather than the norm when the contestants of AR actually treat other people and cultures with respect, instead, their globe-trotting-world-is-my-playground/oyster attitudes leaves a sour taste in other people's mouths and I'm surprised there aren't more confrontations between people of other countries (workers, taxi drivers, etc) and the show contestants.

I mean come on, if French or Arabic people were conducting a game show on our soil running around our cities and neighborhoods throwing their weight around, being bossy, pushy, with their noses stuck in the air and their cottage-cheese riddled thighs hanging all over the place, glaring at the way other people live (last episode, COLIN) and generally being rude and disrespectful, I highly doubt most Americans would put up with it.

The Bowling Moms and what once was Mirna-Schmirna were perfect examples of this self-entitling arrogance and almost made me stop watching the show - thank god Mirna and Schmirna and their pity parade are gone.

Does this bother anyone else at all?

Doesn't bother me at all. I actually hope the race brings in more tourists to those pitstops.

To me, Marshall and Lance seemed like the embodiment of the Ugly American Abroad stereotype.
    But I think most of the contestants in the race are ok. Chip and Kim always appreciates the beauty of their surroundings even in a tight situation, and many others have made positive comments about scenaries, hospitality of the locals etc while traveling.
    As for Colin, his disrespect doen't limit itself to cultures. And Christie cautioned him that he shouldn't make fun of other peoples' cultures when he made sarcastic comments in the cab.
    There will be bad apples in every barrel... Don't let the action of few contestants make you overlook the positive attitudes that the majority of the contestants have, crackpot.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon
    To me, Marshall and Lance seemed like the embodiment of the Ugly American Abroad stereotype.
    But I think most of the contestants in the race are ok. Chip and Kim always appreciates the beauty of their surroundings even in a tight situation, and many others have made positive comments about scenaries, hospitality of the locals etc while traveling.
    As for Colin, his disrespect doen't limit itself to cultures. And Christie cautioned him that he shouldn't make fun of other peoples' cultures when he made sarcastic comments in the cab.
    There will be bad apples in every barrel... Don't let the action of few contestants make you overlook the positive attitudes that the majority of the contestants have, crackpot.
    I think for the most part in every season just about every team has enjoyed the experience and been on they're best behavior. We had Chip last season, and this year the brothers, Colin, and Nicole's tift with the bus driver, but that's all I can think of as far as teams being ugly Americans. Most of them are just enjoying where they are and what they are getting to do. I'm not embarrassed by it.

Most Westerners or those from First World countries probably wouldn't want to be in a bus like those in Tanzania.
    Brandon & Nicole believed the creepy conductor is milking them out of all their money.

Just as there are Ugly Americans, there are the Ugly Locals.

FORT Newbie
    There is no difference between survivor and ar.... im a filipino, that hasnt changed my impression among americans... dow wori

I have been very fortunate to travel much of the world, and to see many cultures. There are places I have been that are pretty awe-inspiring sights. However I have also been to multiple places that are not awe-inspiring at all, and the local culture is one in which I would not be interested in learning too much more about than what I observed.

Through it all though, I do agree, Americans would do well to learn more about their fellow inhabitants of this sphere. However, the all too often missed fact is that there are many nations who would do equally well to understand a little bit more about America and it's people before throwing stones.

The biggest lesson I have learned is simple: A-hole attitudes are not confined to just the American culture.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

How can it be embarissing
    ?
    Favourite shows: The Amish in the city
    Survivor
    Fear Factor
    The Amazing Race
    & more.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The biggest lesson I have learned is simple: A-hole attitudes are not confined to just the American culture.
    That's almost a sig line quote there.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Yeah, There a a-holes in every country. Just the US probably has the most. Right, COLIN?

Marshall, Lance, and COLIN are the definition of Ugly Americans. No wonder these other countries hate the US, they've probably seen a whole bunch of Colin lookalikes running around.

[mod edit]
    Last edited by JR.; 09-04-2004 at 09:51 PM.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast