Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

I agree with surprise twist. They are fatigued and stressed racers who go through stuffs very few Americans if any have or willing to go through.

You know you are ferrying AR contestants if they tell you to hurry up or overtake another cab.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Hey, I tell the taxi drivers to hurry up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by surprise twist
    I believe that one of the main reasons Americans are perceived to be "arrogant" is that we're outspoken - which is part of our culture, and not part of other cultures. It is a cultural difference, not some kind of shortcoming.
    Great point! One of my greatest shortcoming is believing that everyone else thinks like I do. I don't mean we are simpatico in all ways, but that we have the same thought processes.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Great point! One of my greatest shortcoming is believing that everyone else thinks like I do. I don't mean we are simpatico in all ways, but that we have the same thought processes.
    It's a worldwide shortcoming - if shortcoming is the right word. It's why I think cultural understanding has to work both ways. If it's rude to look someone directly in the eyes in Japan, but rude not to here, and both parties know that about this, then they aren't just standing there thinking "man this person is rude" about each other. They both know they're working against the ingrained habits of a lifetime, which is more difficult than you'd think.

IMO - AR is the best reality show on TV - it is fast paced, you never know what is going to happen next, and the loser one week may be the winner the next one (if there is no elimination). For the most part I think the contestants are as polite as they can be under the circumstances. They are in a race for a mil and if they don't move it they lose it. Like this past week when Chip and Kim did not use the Yield on the twins - that could have put them out of the race if the twins had been just a little closer. I think the countries are probably compensated for the use of their land and resources. A free commercial for them and any business or landmark that is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando
    Other than the train and slums, Calcutta must be a relatively safe place for beautiful skinny women in tank tops. The production team wouldn't just send them to places without serious warnings on dress codes. I really don't think it's an issue except for a few countries.
    You should see again those Arab policemen's faces when the twins started hugging them. "Don't touch me. Oh no, I need to scrub my body with sand now since you make me haram (unclean)... Aaaaarrrggghhhh." Sensitivity to local culture is definitely needed.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by He3x
    You should see again those Arab policemen's faces when the twins started hugging them. "Don't touch me. Oh no, I need to scrub my body with sand now since you make me haram (unclean)... Aaaaarrrggghhhh." Sensitivity to local culture is definitely needed.
    But unless they managed to memorize every cultural custom in every culture in the world, which I assure you would be quite a feat, how can they be expected to know everything? They have no idea what countries they'll be going to.

It was a mistake, but there was no harm behind it in their minds; they just wanted to thank these guys. If you live and work in a tourist area, sensitivity to non-local cultures is also needed... a simple polite "sorry, we do not touch strange women" would have sufficed, there really was no need to humiliate them by acting like they were lepers.

One of our cultural hangups as Americans is that we feel we have no right to expect anyone to even try to understand us. Something I never realized until I started reading the TAR forums.

One of our cultural hangups as Americans is that we feel we have no right to expect anyone to even try to understand us. Something I never realized until I started reading the TAR forums.
    Interesting point, surprise twist. It's funny, but I look at it another way, possibly because I grew up in a city. Where I grew up, there were people from all over the world. I had a chance to see various customs, and, to a certain extend "learned" them. Ukranians don't do the Cossack dance. Greeks celebrate holidays on a different calendar than we do. Jewish people have a Saturday Sabbath. People from West Africa rarely make eye contact with you. Many people from India and Pakistan are vegetarians. Observant Muslim women wear long sleeved shirts and long pants or skirts. People from Spain prefer to eat dinner after 9:00 at night.

I didn't have to travel outside of my neighborhood to learn all that, so I'm almost mortified when I see people complaining that the countries they visit aren't like the US.

I guess it all goes back to where and how you grew up.

Simpatico

You are too funny!!!! I'm having a patriotic moment.

Captain of the World
    When I lived in Brazil the Hot show there was Beverly Hills 90210. Every Brazillian thought that is how Americans live.

Just like we have preconceived thoughts about how they live, they have them about how we live.

People dislike Americans for several reasons and many of them are just those precoceived thoughts, they have never met an American but they assume they know us.

That being said, Americans are easy to pick out of a crowd for whatever reason. Is it arrogance, possibly.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast