+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Non-Elimination Legs.

Before this turns into a conspircy theory thread about trying to screw Charla and Mirna.. consider the fact that I highly doubt CBS would have wanted them gone based solely on the drama with C&C... I've seen it hinted and said in other threads.. so let me prempt it with that...
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebber99
    Can you explain how they are so predictable? I would have not thought that they would have 2 in row.. so tell me how you can predict them.

I could tell it was a NEL just by the way they edited the episode. They went so far overboard in showing B&N like they were gone that you just knew they weren't. I've seen some Pitstops being read as "will be eliminated," but last night was the first I can remember it being read as "may be eliminated." (Honestly I haven't been paying that close attention, but for some reason, the "may" really struck me this time around.)

I don't know that I'd say ALL NELs are predictable, but I thought last night's was.

I have to agree with a couple of opinions on NEL's. First of all, while they may seem like they are not predetermined, they are. Charla and Mirna's tension with Colin and Christie made for good TV, and the producers knew that during the race. However, they decided they wouldn't go the route of most shows and affect the reality by keeping them in by chaning NEL legs.

Second, the clues and hints that we had previously that made it easy to tell if each leg would be an NEL seem to be out the window this race. I thought for sure Charla and Mirna's leg would be a NEL because of Phil not saying the last team to arrive will be eliminated in his little Pit Stop talk. They even had it sound like they cut him off mid-sentence so he wouldn't say the last team is gone. If this had been a previous season, that would have pointed to a NEL. But this season, things are different, and there's really no way to tell if legs are NEL's or not.

Which brings me to number 3. Editing usually will not give away whether it is an NEL or not. Sometimes the last team in is a surprise (or at least, it's supposed to be), and other times we know the last team will arive last (like when we hear them talking about how the race has changed their lives, and how they have a new-found respect for each other, etc.). They kind of did this with Brandon and Nicole...that is, the obviously they are last, so give them their sentimental speech (Notice how they showed Brandon talking to the natives).

Just read over that, and it's jumbled and confusing. Sorry about that. I just think that this season marks the beginning of unpredictable NEL's...and I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1
    I agree - I was so pissed that it was a NEL, I don't remember there being 2 in a row before! Was it because they FINALLY got to drive themselves around? Or put up with the difficult ride in the Indian train (remember the models last year?)
    NFL1 let me refresh your memory. TAR3 had two NEL's in a row. Jon Vito and Jill came in last in Grindelwald but where saved by the NEL, then the next episode they took the fast forward where they had to eat through the cheese to get the clue. They came in first in Montruex and Flo and Zack came in last but they were saved because it was another NEL. There two in a row! It was easy to predict a NEL before this season. They used to do it when there was only 5 teams left. This season they started with 6 teams still remaining.
    Last edited by Quinito; 09-01-2004 at 02:56 PM.
    Kick some ass...get some later...

Quote Originally Posted by Quinito
    It was easy to predict a NEL before this season. They used to do it when there was only 5 teams left. This season they started with 6 teams still remaining.
    Both TAR1 and TAR2 featured NEL's with 6 teams remaining.

Lenny & Karyn were saved by an NEL in Leg 6 of TAR1, as were Chris & Alex in TAR2.

This season they started with 7 teams remaining, by moving the first NEL up to Leg 5.
    Last edited by LAGuy; 09-01-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Both TAR1 and TAR2 featured NEL's with 6 teams remaining.

Lenny & Karyn were saved by an NEL in Leg 6 of TAR1, as were Chris & Alex in TAR2.

This season they started with 7 teams remaining, by moving the first NEL up to Leg 5.
    Im one of those people that didnt watch the first season of TAR...and would you believe me if i meant to type 6 instead of 5 and 7 instead of 8?
    Kick some ass...get some later...

Since TAR is a competition, with prizes awarded, aren't there regulations enforced by the FCC (or the USDA or UNICEF or NAACP or TGIF ...)?

Do they not have to somehow "file" details of the competition (BEFORE it starts) with some governing/auditing body. Sort of like, here's how much money we're going to give them each leg, here's the new take-their-money twist, here's where we're going to provide transport (cars, charter flights, etc), here's the NEL legs, here's the legs where 1st place prizes will be awarded, here's the schedule of prize money, etc, etc, etc. Basically, a "script" of how the game will unfold.

There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I predicted this was an NEL.....because there was a Fast Forward.

Ep5 had a Fast Forward, and it ended up being Non - Elimination. So I think this one would be one too. And I was very glad to hear Phil said "The good news is....."

Last season I thought they would follow TAR3's pattern and set Leg 9 as an NEL, which wasn't the case, and the virgins got philiminated!

FORT Newbie
    u can usually also tell if it is a NEL by the segment just prior to the intro. I know in past seasons at least, phil says "Who will be eliminated tonight?" in an elimination leg and "Who will be eliminated next?" during NEL's

FORT Fan
    If you all have been paying attention for most of the season, during the intro Phil has said "Who will be eliminated next?" rather than "tonight", and for the most part the final clue also says that the "last team to arrive may be eliminated" rather than "will be eliminated". Yes, even in elimination legs (most, but not all of them).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast