+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 8 Ratings: TAR is back on its feet!!!

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar

Week 8 Ratings: TAR is back on its feet!!!

From Zap2It:

At 10 p.m., NBC was down to a 15.8/25, still a large advantage over the 6.4/10 for CBS' "Amazing Race 5." ABC was last with "In the Jury Room."
    Rating/Share: 6.4/10
    Adult 18-49: 4.4

TAR is back with its usual mid-6 point rating, which is great, especially going against the olympics. It improved nearly a rating point compared to last week (5.5/9). TAR was also the #2 highest rated program of the night (1st was NBC and the olympics with a 15.2/24, 3rd was Big Brother at 6.2/10).

Also, TAR was 2nd of the night in the Adult 18-49 category with a 4.4, improving 1/2 a rating point from last week's 3.9. (Yep, the olympics were first...again)

The share is low, but that is because alot of more people are watching TV than usual.

Total viewers coming soon.

So far the only shows ahead of it (excluding the olympics) are Everybody Loves Raymond with a 6.6, and CSI: Miami with a 6.9 (TAR beat 2 1/2 men ).

NIELSEN CHANGE NEXT WEEK
    Effective next Monday, Aug. 30, the total number of television households in the United States will be estimated at 109,600,000 -- up 1.2 million from the 2003-04 television season. Each rating point will now represent 1,096,000 television households.

This Nielsen rating will probably result in TARs viewership increasing, now that each Nielsen family represents more people (rating point the same, but the amount of viewers should increase).
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-25-2004 at 11:34 AM.

wow! yea you can get a lot of information from zap2it.
    Favourite shows: The Amish in the city
    Survivor
    Fear Factor
    The Amazing Race
    & more.

FORT Newbie
    hmm...I wonder what happened on the show last night that improved such ratings...

Yes, reality TV loves contestants like Colin & Mirna...they add "flava" to the show which adds a boost in ratings. Hello? It's because of characters like Colin that keep us tuning in to these types of shows. I hope C&C stay until the end just to keep things exciting. How boring would it be if the last three remaining teams were Moms, Twins, and Dating Models...YUCK!!!! I wouldn't watch!

Total Viewers: 10.2 million (increase of 1.4 million viewers from last week!)

However, it is a decrease of .2 million viewers from the week before, but it still is an amazing number, especially since it was against the olypmics.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-25-2004 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    NIELSEN CHANGE NEXT WEEK
    Effective next Monday, Aug. 30, the total number of television households in the United States will be estimated at 109,600,000 -- up 1.2 million from the 2003-04 television season. Each rating point will now represent 1,096,000 television households.

This Nielsen rating will probably result in TARs viewership increasing, now that each Nielsen family represents more people (rating point the same, but the amount of viewers should increase).
    I saw this upcoming change too, and thought two things. First, now I'll have to change my calculated example YET AGAIN on my webpage full of TAR viewer info. And, second, what does this mean going forward as far as number of viewers.

Nielsen estimates the number of households increased roughly 1.1 percent during the last year. So, if each Nielsen household now represents MORE viewers (1.1 percent more to be exact) then what happens? Well, since TAR5 has roughly averaged 10.00million viewers, it would only add 100,000 viewers. Considering the method (ie extrapolated from small samples) that is used to determine viewer numbers, I'm not sure we'll notice ANY difference at all. At least not one that we can absolutely attribute to this change.

All programs are affected similarly, so it shouldn't change TAR's relative rankings. I guess we could hope that Nielsen correspondingly expands its number of Nielsen families. Then maybe with a larger Nielsen sample we're more likely to "hit" a few families that are TAR fans.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

From Nielsen - Final TAR Ratings for Episode 8 (HIGHER THAN PRELIMINARY!).

THE AMAZING RACE 5 was second in households (6.6/11), viewers (10.49m), adults 25-54 (5.0/12), adults 18-49 (4.5/12) and adults 18-34 (3.7/11). This matches THE AMAZING RACE 5's best adults 25-54 delivery. Compared to last week, THE AMAZING RACE 5 was up +20% in households (from 5.5/09), +22% in adults 25-54 (from 4.1/09), +15% in adults 18-49 (from 3.9/10), +16% in adults 18-34 (from 3.2/08) and added +1.76m viewers (from 8.73m).
    Rating/Share: 6.6/11
    Adults 18-49: 4.5
    Viewers: 10.49 million

This means TAR either
    1) Got all it's viewers back
    2) Other viewers wanted to see Colin go to Jail

Next week's rating are a wild card. One it is at an earlier time (which CBS never informed the viewers during the show), and its against fall premieres. Yikes.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-27-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Given TAR5's performance this week, it looks like it might be 2nd or 3rd place for the week in viewers (non-Olympics, of course).

Monday, only CSI:Miami will come close, although I think TAR5 may have beaten it. This would be the first time if it did happen.

Tuesday, TAR5 won that night.

Wednesday, nothing beat TAR5.

Thursday, of course CSI stomped it by 1.5 - 2.0 million. It will be close versus WAT which TAR5 so far has not been able to beat either.

Fri/Sat, don't think anything was on to give TAR5 a run.

Sun, with Closing Ceremonies on, it may keep the CBS competition lower than usual.

Also, Sonic-TARmaniac, just curious, where do you get your viewer numbers, prior to the final offical Nielsen release on the following Tue/Wed? A few days ago you gave the number 10.2, and now you quote the 10.49. Just curious where you get these before the full list is out?
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Zap2It provides preliminary Rating/Share (11 AM day after show), Reuters provides preliminary Adults 18-49 and viewers (3 PM day after show). Amazingrace5.com usually posts the final ratings Thursday/Friday following (i assume they pay for it).

10.2 million was the preliminary number by reuters, 10.49 million was the final number.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-30-2004 at 10:33 AM.

CantGetEnufTAR, you're right, nothing on Sunday beat TAR.

Only three shows that beat it this week (other than Olympics) were CSI: Miami (6.9), WAT (7.2), CSI: (8.1). Everbody Loves Raymond tied it's rating at 6.6, but probably didn't beat it in viewers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast