+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Winning Team Possible *Spoiler*

Quote Originally Posted by wesley
    $400,000 will barely get you a nice condo out here in LA...

HA! So if I win myself a million bucks I get to buy myself a mediocre condo.
    Wesley...you can buy a house in Compton for that price...LOL! (I use to live down there, and know the area...not making fun of you).

I guess it's all relative. When I saw the $400,000 reference, I was thinking "modest" house. 400 would barely get you an older 3 bedroom/1 bath on 7.500 square feet in my area, just outside Boston. For "nice" you'd need at least 600 and for a McMansion, plan on 750.

IIRC, $1 mil after taxes and invested prudently, should generate $30-40,000 per year of income. That would be enough to cover mortgage payments and taxes for the life of the loan. Assuming people keep working, not having to worry about housing payments should make a lifestyle much more comfortable.

My best friend's brother's cousin's sister saw Colin pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I think it was pretty serious.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I'm starting to really hope C&C win so that Christie will have $500,000 to get the hell away from Colin. After Tuesday's episode I was appalled by the way he treats Christie in stressful situations. Granted major editing is involved, I think she can do better and this might just be her ticket outta South Texas!

Maybe Colin had a big month at the cell phone store! everyone wants those camera phones now.. I can just see Colin now, "what can I do to put you in this cell phone plan today?"

OMG, what does Colin do to his customers? Yell at them and say that everything is their fault? What if someone tried to give him half the money he was supposed to get?
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jebber99
    Maybe Colin had a big month at the cell phone store! everyone wants those camera phones now.. I can just see Colin now, "what can I do to put you in this cell phone plan today?"

...while wearing a Leisure suit complete with gold medallion and white platform shoes.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jette66
    Wesley...you can buy a house in Compton for that price...LOL! (I use to live down there, and know the area...not making fun of you).
    Yeah, actually my wife and I were living around 76th and Broadway (not far from Compton).

In all fairness, we could have very easily bought a mansion in that area for 250k (not that we're interested in mansions...or spending $250k). Our work, commitments and friends unfortunately have all moved out to the Westside where it's either a brilliant investment (because it's appreciating so quickly) or a tragic loss (*unsubstantiated claim/natural fear that the LA housing market's bottom may fall out*).

We're thinking of maybe buying some real estate in Gary, Indiana where her parents live...2BR two level house for $20,000.

Thanks for the welcomes...I'm new to watching TAR. Applied for the show though. How fun would that be?!

I suppose I'm way off topic from the spoiler title of this thread. A thousand apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten
    OMG, what does Colin do to his customers? Yell at them and say that everything is their fault? What if someone tried to give him half the money he was supposed to get?
    Customer: "Yeah, you know, I don't think I'm interested."

Colin: "You said you were going to buy the phone."

Customer: "Yeah, I just don't think I'm interested right now..thanks for your time."

Colin: "What the f**K? You f**king a$$hole! I'll kill you!"

Customer: "Excuse me?"

Colin: "We had a f**king contract you sh*thead! Get your President down here right now!"

Customer: "Why are you yelling at me?"

Colin: "It's yoru fault, you make me act this way!"

Customer: "I'm sorry"

Colin: "Give me a kiss"

I'm guessing that they (CBS, etc) have either (a) included in ALL OF the contestants signed contracts, and/or (b) asked them *very nicely*, to refrain from large purchases until the show concludes. Also, no quitting jobs, grand vacations, etc. Even LAST PLACE has been home for months before it was known they were in last place. If Dennis/Erika had bought expensive cars back in March/April, then once they were announced as Racers, everyone would be talking.

I would just imagine that they ask and/or require the Racers to live the same as they were living prior to Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    It would also be stupid to pay cash for a house as they would certainly need the tax deductions they'd get from the interest paid.
    A common misconception. Why would anyone pay, for example $10,000 in interest during a year, just to save, for example $3,000 in taxes. They still are out the other $7,000. And, this does not even touch on the fact that to get the interest deduction, you first have to itemize deductions, which means that you give up the standard deduction. So, your savings by itemizing DO NOT EVEN BEGIN until your itemized amounts EXCEED the standard amount. Itemized deductions, mostly brought on by mortgages (ie interest payments), are far less valuable than most people think. Especially with the recent (ie last few years) change that GWB & Co., made that raised the standard deduction amounts.

Of course, when you can't afford to pay cash for a home, you do just that, and you are thankful that you get that interest deduction on your taxes.

Also, even if you can afford to pay cash, you may still want to take a mortgage. If you feel that you can earn through other investments an annual rate in excess of your mortgage rate, then carrying a mortgage can still be profitable. It's a risk, but a calculated one. For example, suppose you feel that you can invest some sum of money and earn over the long term 8% per year, or instead you could pay cash (with that sum of money) for a home instead of taking a mortgage at 6% per year. You'd be ahead to take the mortgage and invest the money instead and earn the 8% on it. It is far more complicated than that, but that is the simplistic view of it.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast