+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: “What if you don’t like eggs?” Recap 8-17-04

“What if you don’t like eggs?” Recap 8-17-04

This week I am quoting my husband again. You see I was giving certain players a hard time because one of the tasks this week was to eat a scrambled egg. Yeah, you read that right, it’s in the singular. One egg… actually, as you will read in the Particulars paragraph, it’s not even a whole egg. Suffice it to say when one team member started having a really hard time with this I called him a wuss… and worse. My husband, always devil’s advocate, thought perhaps I should think about the fact that maybe this person doesn’t like eggs. Whatever. Maybe my husband should think of the fact that maybe I don’t like this player.

So, let’s get this party started shall we?

The Particulars

Teams will leave the Pit Stop after receiving $75.00 and go to Cairo. They must get to the New airport there, then get to Nairobi Kenya where they must sign up for one of 3 charter flights to a Mystery Location!! Once there, the next clue sends them 17 miles to Mto Wa Mbu for the…

Detour. which has teams choosing between Buzzing and Busy. If teams choose Buzzing, they must ride 1 bike to a nearby honey farm and harvest 2 kilograms of honey. This is the faster of the two choices, but could be scary for some teams. If, by chance, the teams choose Busy they will have to find a specific furniture store, load two chairs on a huge wooden cart, deliver the chairs to a specific address, get a receipt, return to the store and get the next clue. All sets of chairs go to a different location. Some are closer than others, but all are hard to find, as the addresses in the town are not clearly marked. The next clue sends the contestants to the town of Kibaoni to find the Kavishe Hotel where they will find the…

Roadblock. The players must decide which team member is “really hungry”. Once the person is chosen s/he will need to crack an egg, pour part of it in a bowl until the bowl is full. A man will decide if the bowl is full enough, then let the player cook the egg and eat it. Oh, it’s an ostrich egg… like 12 (oops.. that'd be 2) dozen chicken eggs. (Thanks evilgemini) Yeah, I guess that’s important to mention. They are then given a clue directing them to the edge of the valley where they will take a zip line over a 230-foot gorge. At the end of the ride they will run to the …

Pit Stop located at Lake Manyara Lookout, a local watering hole for the native wild life… as oppose to the imported wildlife I guess.

And away we go:

Colin and Christie 5:33 am

They inform us that they are trying not to get to confidant. I’m glad they told us, as I never would have figured it out myself. Seriously. They get tickets on the earliest flight out, but unfortunately the flight is delayed. Colin, being the Full-Of-Sunshine-Man that he is, takes this news with a huge smile. Anyone buying that? Hmmm, didn’t think so. Colin is not a happy man. Once they arrive in Cairo Christie thinks it’s a great, funny, interesting, fair idea to block the door to the airport. She later tells other teams how funny she is. She laughs loudly as she regales fellow racers with her story of blocking another team. She and Colin are driving the “Lets-Beat-Charla-And-Mirna-At-Any-Cost” bandwagon, and are looking for people to hop aboard. They find a few teams (well, most teams) willing to join them. Colin then goes and buys everyone tickets on a sucky flight to Nairobi. Christie, still on a high from her fun door blocking morning, feels as though they have the best tickets EVER! It isn’t long before they realize that actually no, they have the worst imaginable tickets ever. Bandwagon members are lookin’ mighty upset right about now. Colin gets the group tickets on another flight, and I can’t help but wonder what the budget for the Amazing Race is. They get to Nairobi, get a charter flight and learn that the mystery location is Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. I guess I have to give Colin props for locating Mount Kilimanjaro out the plane window, and actually knowing a few things about it… wait, I actually don’t have to give him props, I will just assume the pilot told them and it got edited out. Yes, it’s a happy place, this Caliville. They arrive at the bus station to catch a bus to take them to Mto Wa Mbu. The ticket for the bus costs them $5.00. I mention this, as it’s interesting later. Just trust me there. Christie wants to choose Buzzing for the detour until Colin tells her that bees make honey. I really, really want to come up with some super sardonic remark here, but I can’t think of thing. They decide upon Busy and seem to luck out with a close delivery location. They receive the next clue and head off for the Kavishe Hotel where it’s up to Colin to eat the egg. He has problems filling the bowl. Egg spills out all over the place and he tries to slip a not at all full bowl past the bowl checker man. Bowl checker man catches him and says he needs to fill the bowl. Colin tries to scrape up egg that has fallen out of the bowl. Does he not realize he’ll be eating that? Still, it’s not good enough for bowl checker man and he has to start again. Since his first strategy worked so well, he repeated the process and spilled the egg all over the place. Finally, he gets the bowl full and is allowed to start cooking. Meanwhile other teams are arriving, filling, cooking and eating. Colin likes his eggs well done. Actually, it turns out he doesn’t like his eggs at all. He starts eating them, gags a few times and decides he needs to cook them longer. He starts eating again, but so much time is spent gagging that even I’m starting to feel sick. Eventually he finishes and he and Christie head off for the Zip Line, which, in my opinion didn’t get nearly enough airtime. They get to the bottom of the canyon and run for the Pit Stop arriving…

Chip and Kim 6:01 am

Kim feels they can win the whole race now. Chip says it really brains over brawn. The married couple really is working well together, and it’s a nice thing to see. They get an early flight out after hoping on the bandwagon. They don’t necessarily like Colin and Christie, but are in fact hoping that the fighting between them and Charla and Mirna will cause both teams to lose. Once on the charter flight to Kilimanjaro, Chip says he’s excited to really be in Africa. I think I need to call my old geography teacher, seems he has some ‘splainin’ to do as to where exactly Egypt is. Chip and Kim get a $5 dollar bus ride to, and again I ask you to be patient. It is important. At the Detour the pair decides to go with Busy and soon find plenty of people willing to help them with the directions… to the pillow store. Seems as though the locals thought Chip would want to buy pillows for the chairs before delivering them. He doesn’t, and it isn’t long before the group brings them to the right house. Once there they spend a few minutes chatting, sitting, relaxing and eating with the family. They are thrilled to be in Africa.. I mean Egypt was nice, but this is AFRICA! After a few minutes of hanging out they get the receipt, take it to the store and head off for the hotel. Chip immediately decides to perform the Roadblock. He knows he can eat, and I do believe Kim is absolutely fine with that. Somehow he manages to fill the bowl on the first try and gets the OK to start cooking. Chip says that eating the caviar was actually easier, as he didn’t have to chew it, he could just swallow. He doesn’t look to be having any trouble with this challenge either. Kim is cheering him on and in short order the two are on their way to the zip line. They seem to enjoy the ride and the view. At the bottom they get out of the harnesses and run for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Kami and Karli 6:03 am

Now that the twins are in third place, they are feeling better about their capabilities and feel as though they could easily get into first place now. These two are doing a good job of staying out of the spotlight. This isn’t really a bad thing, it’s just makes it hard to write about. I imagine the editors have the same problem. They have no problem letting Colin buy them the sucky tickets, then have no problem calling him an idiot for buying the first tickets he saw. Karli figures they should have worked alone. I wonder if they know how to. Their ticket for the bus that will take them to Mto Wa Mbu costs them $40. They found themselves on the bus with another team, and I assume that the two teams had decided in advance to offer the driver money to leave immediately as the other team is saying they’ll pay $100 to leave now. The person wants more money and the twins are trying to get off the bus. To late…. The bus starts moving, and they sit quietly as they watch and listen to another team negotiate a deal. More on that bit later. Their Detour choice is Busy and they seem to work well together while delivering the chairs. They too have plenty of help, and seem to find the location easily. At the Kavishe Hotel it’s Kami… I’m pretty sure it’s Kami. Earlier they had on different shits and I was happy as I knew which one was which. Now they are both running around in sports bras and I’m confused. So, I’m going with Kami eating. She has a very hard time. She gags, she holds her nose, she drinks a lot. She does finish it though, and the pair head to the Zip line. My husband blinked at this point, and asked why we didn’t get to see them zip. We did of course, but seriously, if you blinked, you missed it. They saw the Pit Stop, ran, and arrived…

Brandon and Nicole 6:10 am

These two are more than happy to jump aboard the bandwagon, even though they don’t really feel “that way” about Charla and Mirna. Nicole admits to just following the crowd. I picture her in a robe surrounded by Romans, just “following the crowd”. I roll my eyes. At the bus station, they too shell out $35 more than Chip, Kim, Colin and Christie for a ride to the same place. It’s Brandon’s brilliant idea to offer $100 if the bus will leave immediately. This gets aforementioned Negotiator Man excited, and he decides that it will take $200 for the bus to leave now. Brandon says $150 and I assume that this is agreed upon as the bus starts to leave. Well I guess the bus driver really wants to get them there, as he decides that they don’t need to fill the gas tank or anything before the journey. I have no idea how far they have traveled, but it doesn’t seem long before the bus is out of gas. Negotiator Man assured Brandon that everything is ok, he points at two men running towards a town and says they are off to get fuel. Brandon worries if they will be fast enough. I figure he’s never watched a marathon, they’re Kenyans for crying out loud. Once the runners return Negotiator Man tells Brandon he owes them $20 for gas, and Negotiator Man wants it now. Brandon wants to pay when they arrive. They depart the bus right by the clue box and Negotiator Man wants his money. He wants more money. Nicole is pissed and refuses to pay. Brandon just starts reading the clue while trying to ignore this man poking him in the arm demanding money. The man then hits Nicole. She’s bleeding from both her nose and her mouth as she lays sprawled out on the ground crying. No, but if she’d actually been hit, that’s what I think would have happened. Instead the man waved a piece of paper in front her and she complained about being hit. This prompts Brandon to tell her to just pay. You can see in her eyes that she’s wondering where his balls are. She throws the money on the ground. Of course Brandon picks it up and thanks Negotiator Man for all his hard work. Turns out that Brandon just wanted to get out of the situation as he felt it was not only dangerous, but also unsafe. Once they are away from the dangerous unsafe situation they choose Busy as their detour option and Brandon starts to walk the chairs to their destination as Nicole is lagging behind saying she can’t do it and that Brandon needs to stop running. No, it wasn’t a typo earlier, he isn’t running at all. The two get the chairs delivered, get the next clue and Nicole tells Brandon that he’s the one who is really hungry. He swallows the egg and grabs the next clue. They have fun on the Zip Line and run off for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Charla and Mirna 6:28 am

These two start the leg with problems when they can’t seem to open up the clue. They are sure that teams are no longer underestimating them, but may in fact, be overestimating them. The fact that there are teams that just don’t like them doesn’t seem to cross their minds. They have the presence of mind to borrow the cell phone of the cabbie on the way to the air port, but realize that it won’t do them any good, as the early flight should be leaving in about 20 minutes. Once they arrive they see that the early flight is delayed. This thrills the cousins, and they are happy once again. In Cairo they run for the terminal only to find Christie is blocking it while she waits for Colin to pay the cabbie. This block technique works on Mirna, but I can’t help but laugh as Charla flies right under her outstretched arms. Mirna pushes her way through and proceeds to call Christie a female dog. Charla and Mirna find a few sympathetic ears, and even get some allies to join them in this part of the race. Mirna finds great tickets and the two teams are very happy to be out on an earlier flight. Of course, it isn’t long before other teams realize how stupid they’ve been, and actually try to get the same tickets. Mirna tells the ticket agent not to help “the Americans” because they are evil… or mean… or dangerous… or something. The man nods and Mirna cackles. Later Mirna seems shocked that other teams are boarding the great flight. Did she really think the agent would give up all those fares because a crazy lady said the people were mean? Once the cousins arrived at the first layover, they get tickets on an even better flight. They book seats for themselves and their new friends. They are dismayed to see that the new flight is delayed, and instead of arriving earlier, will in all likelihood arrive later. Now I don’t know how they managed it, but I thought that Chip, Kim, Colin and Christie got cheap tickets for the bus. Charla and Mirna got the seats for $3. Brandon spent $40 on tickets $150 dollars to get the bus to leave, and $20 on gas. Not too bad I guess. Only $207 more than the cousins. Their choice for the Detour is Busy and Mirna gets upset when Charla demands they take the long way to avoid going through a puddle. She is sure they will get the cart stuck, and wind up wasting more time than going around would cost them. Mirna is not happy when she watches another team breeze right through the same puddle. Charla is actually starting to complain a little, and I would swear this is the first time we’ve seen that from her. Mirna, ever the good cheerleader, tells her to just stop and let her pull the cart. Yes, Mirna, ho couldn’t carry a side of beef, had lots of trouble picking up sheep was going to pull the huge wooden cart, the chairs, and the back packs. I guess Charla had as much confidence as I did, as she dared not quit. The two deliver the chairs, return to the shop, get the clue and head off for the Hotel. Charla will once again be eating for the team at the Roadblock. She has a hard time opening the egg (all teams are given a drill to accomplish this), but seems to do a good job of eating. Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard for her, and she gags a few times, holds her nose and drinks a lot, but she doesn’t complain, and she finished. They have fun on the Zip line, see Phil, run to the Pit Stop and arrive…

Linda and Karen 6:33 am

Linda is excited about Nairobi. Actually she is just excited. She’s an up beat person and is trying hard to remain that way, both for herself and for Karen. As you’ve probably figured out, the first flight out is delayed and all teams are equalized again. You may also have figured out that it’s the Moms that Charla and Mirna hook up with. Linda and Karen say they know that Colin is playing the game well, but “darn it, Charla and Mirna are playing better”. Linda loves those two. I mention that only because they seem to be the only ones. This scares me and I start to worry that maybe the moms will be gone tonight. They let the cousins do all the ticket buying so they have the great flight out, but like the cousins, wind up having the connecting flight delayed. They too spend $3.00 on the bus tickets. Once at the Detour they opt for the Busy choice. I remember Jug Man from last week and realize that we, as viewers, may have been cheated out of another great guy at the Honey Farm. I am saddened by this. Linda and Karen don’t let a little puddle scare them, and forge their way through to deliver the chairs. They see other teams wandering with their carts, and are happy they are not last, but know they have to pick it up. Their guides know a short cut, and get them to the house quickly. At the hotel it is Karen’s turn to perform the Roadblock. She doesn’t seem at all happy about it, but keeps her feelings to herself. Linda cheers her on, and she does a great job. I believe they screamed the entire trip down on the zip line, but it seemed like an excited happy scream. They see the Pit Stop start running, and arrive…

The Pit Stop and Phil

As usual I will list the teams in order of their arrival with their departing place in parenthesis.

1. Chip and Kim (2) They win a trip to Latin America
    2. Colin and Christie (1)
    3. Linda and Karen (6)
    4. Brandon and Nicole (4)
    5. Kami and Karli (3)

Meaning that it’s Charla and Mirna who are eliminated this week. They thank Phil for the great opportunity, and say they’ve had a great time. Phil asks Charla about prving herself and dispelling myths about small people. Charla tears up as she says that she thinks she’s done a good job with that. Phil gets choked up too, then says that Mirna was an amazing partner. My heart breaks.

In all seriousness, I’d like to say that I didn’t not like this team. I think they did a great job and they should be happy with the way they played. Best of luck to them in the future.

Comments? Mortgage ads? E-me: cali@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by cali; 08-20-2004 at 07:01 AM.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great calicap!

I'm sad to see Charla go.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

LG.
    fantastic recap, cali
    Yes, it’s a happy place, this Caliville.
    Caliville is a happy place
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

That was hard I wouldnt be able to eat that egg. Chip ate that egg really fast and I am glad they one that trip.

Great recap ...
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for another great Cali-cap!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Wenders

I'm sad to see Charla go.
    I agree. Althought I'm not sad to se Mirna go, Finally. Thank You God
    Bubbles Tea

Wonderful
    Annoy a conservative: think for yourself.
    Myrosiedog

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    They inform us that they are trying not to get to confidant. I’m glad they told us, as I never would have figured it out myself. Seriously. They get tickets on the earliest flight out, but unfortunately the flight is delayed. Colin, being the Full-Of-Sunshine-Man that he is, takes this news with a huge smile. Anyone buying that? Hmmm, didn’t think so.

Chip says he’s excited to really be in Africa. I think I need to call my old geography teacher, seems he has some ‘splainin’ to do as to where exactly Egypt is.

They are thrilled to be in Africa.. I mean Egypt was nice, but this is AFRICA!

They have no problem letting Colin buy them the sucky tickets, then have no problem calling him an idiot for buying the first tickets he saw. Karli figures they should have worked alone. I wonder if they know how to.

The man then hits Nicole. She’s bleeding from both her nose and her mouth as she lays sprawled out on the ground crying. No, but if she’d actually been hit, that’s what I think would have happened. Instead the man waved a piece of paper in front her and she complained about being hit. This prompts Brandon to tell her to just pay. You can see in her eyes that she’s wondering where his balls are.
    As usual, excellent recap Cali.

This episode (and your title) made me wonder something: I'm allergic to eggs. I'd break out in spots and end up in the emergency room if I ate 2 eggs, let alone 2 dozen. Wonder what the rules would have said if I'd decided to do the roadblock based on the "who's really hungry" clue then found it would do me in to start it let alone complete it?

Great Cali-cap Cali! I too was sorry to see Charla and Mirna go, if only for the fact that they really DID play the game well. I too wish them well.
    We are experiencing technical difficulties...Please stand by...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast