+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is TAR dumbing down?

Is TAR dumbing down?

After last night's episode, my husband and I talked about how TAR seems to slowly dumbing down. There used to be a lot more "thinking" involved, solving puzzles, figuring out clues, etc... Sometimes the racers even had to figure out their destination cities. Now it is: fly to city Abc and go to building Xyz. Then the tasks are mainly physical, chance, or who's got the strongest stomach, not a lot of thinking required.

And what happened to them driving themselves places? They did some driving in South America, but I can't think of any driving they've done since. It has all been buses, taxis, or trains. And during the past few episodes the taxis have been marked with the TAR flags. Having to drive and navigate in a foreign country were some of the best scenes from past years.

About the only thinking that was required last night was deciding which flight(s) to take from Cairo to Nairobi.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy TAR, and think that it is still the smartest reality show around, but just not as smart as it used to be.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Well most of the driving occurs in Europe but since they had 5 legs in Europe last season I think they wanted to visit more of the African/Asian countries. Although I also do want more driving themselves navigating like TAR 1 and 2 where they had to drive around the desert

Wow, you got my tiny little brain a'thinkin!!! AND my conclusion is, You're correct! Especially about the driving themselves part. That part was always so good because it forced the racers to be able to read a map correctly. Sometimes, they got lost and this made for a much more exciting race to me. I wonder why TAR is changing things a bit. I still love the show as well, but I feel maybe it should be a bit more challenging....maybe make the clues harder to figure out.
    FP

I agree. It also seems to me that they have more xenophobes this go-around. Quite a few of these people don't really seem to like being in other cultures/places. The bus scene with Brandon and Nicole made me cringe--it was all of the Ugly American stereotypes and then some.

LG.
    I've noticed that the clues have been much more specific than they had been in past seasons. Once the teams were given just the flag for a country and the picture of a famous building or monument and told to "go there" for their next clue. Some of the teams knew the flag right away (I'm remembering the twin towers in Kalua Lampuar (sp?) as one example), and another team ended up going to an American Embassy and asking for help to find out where they needed to go.

My only guess, the challenges that involve too many variable end up with teams being really far "spread out" in timing, which is less interesting to watch and harder for Phil and company to film. But please CBS, let them think some. I just remember Derek and Drew fighting about directions in the Alps and siblings getting lost in the dune in the desert, etc., all interesting and dramatic moments.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I agree thios season is more of a "strong stomach" type race. It is much better when they have to use their brains than their brawn!!

FORT Regular

Doesn't Bother Me.

I love this season....and the previous ones. But to me this one seems more intense...I love the food eating....Go Chip & Kim....Great personality and really loves it. Shows total respect and class to the different cultures...

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    I've noticed that the clues have been much more specific than they had been in past seasons. Once the teams were given just the flag for a country and the picture of a famous building or monument and told to "go there" for their next clue. Some of the teams knew the flag right away (I'm remembering the twin towers in Kalua Lampuar (sp?) as one example), and another team ended up going to an American Embassy and asking for help to find out where they needed to go.

My only guess, the challenges that involve too many variable end up with teams being really far "spread out" in timing, which is less interesting to watch and harder for Phil and company to film. But please CBS, let them think some. I just remember Derek and Drew fighting about directions in the Alps and siblings getting lost in the dune in the desert, etc., all interesting and dramatic moments.
    Well said! I too like the more mental challenges, and the people driving on their own. I think it makes it more interesting, and leaves more room for mistakes and mistakes are always fun to see.

I don't like the food challenges, but some of the races have themes.

Remember AR3 where they had to put back in order a totem with the different animals they had met. I'm sure something similar is coming in the last leg.

As far as map navigation, I want it back. Not all the time, but a few challenges here and there to see who's the best.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Yep, in TAR 3, almost all the legs were driving to the pitstop O_o. I loved driving, it created more suspense and chance for other teams to win.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast