+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is TAR dumbing down?

LG.
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    Wow, LG.!!! Were you listening in on our conversation last night?
    Ummmm, no, I wasn't that stray person wandering through your living room. *cough, shoot, I've been busted, cough*

I agree with VeeJer that they are trying to "manage" the situations more than in past seasons because they are somewhat concerned about the safety and security of teams and bystanders. With teams driving themselves there is a risk because some of them could drive so aggressively as to cause an accident and injure some poor bystanders, which would be so bad for the show. Colin is a complete hot-head just riding in a cab, can you imagine him cutting people off in traffic and causing problems. Why yes, I can.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    Ummmm, no, I wasn't that stray person wandering through your living room. *cough, shoot, I've been busted, cough*
    Now I know why a couple of slices of my daughter's birthday cake are missing!!!

One of my favorite driving scenes didn't involve driving or navigating, but diesel fuel. It was very interesting to see who noticed and who didn't, and then how they resolved the situation. Seeing Ian siphon the bad gas out was the first time that he made a positive impression on me.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

LG.
    ooooh, good one veejer. I actually liked Teri and Ian (yes, I think I was the only one rooting for them) and seeing Ian 1.) admit HIS mistake for putting in the wrong fuel, and 2.) FIXING IT rather than just giving up like Mike Diesel and Partner and another team who ended up calling a tow truck, that was very impressive.

and John, good memory about Reichen and Chip and the calamari. They weren't really into that delicacy. So yeah, the food challenges of the past were more about sheer yuckiness than volume, as the cavier, chocolate and eggs would all not be so bad in a normal quantity, but in mass quantities, it favors Chip and other big players (but apparently not Colin because he's a whiney baby when it comes to food challenges). Consume Mass Quantities - I think the Coneheads have taken over challenge writing this season.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I agree that there have been less 'challenges' in getting between points than in the past -- mental challenges are always fun for the audience as well to figure out! Regarding the driving, it is possible that there was less of it this time around due to the challenge it may present for Charla. Although an article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday about TAR stated that the producers discussed during the interview process with Charla how she would be able to accomplish this (she had special pads that clip on to show them that she would in fact be able to perform the same as others), perhaps overall the producers decided to minimize any driving legs to be sure there was a more even playing field. While I have NO DOUBT that Charla would be up to the challenge and succeed, it is possible why there are less this time around.

I have been surprised that with the Detours, that most of the teams have chosen the task that is presented as the easier but longer option in most cases, rather than the more challenging/quicker task. Further, when the easier of the two are selected, it seems that the teams that are in the lead and complete them, are still in the lead, which makes me wonder if there is much difference in saving time between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    ooooh, good one veejer. I actually liked Teri and Ian (yes, I think I was the only one rooting for them) and seeing Ian 1.) admit HIS mistake for putting in the wrong fuel, and 2.) FIXING IT rather than just giving up like Mike Diesel and Partner and another team who ended up calling a tow truck, that was very impressive.
    I too loved Teri & Ian, and remember that moment very well. I remember Teri asking Ian if he was sure that they had to put in regular gas, and he said yes. And he ended up being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    I dunno...if they add puzzles, Kami and Karli's head might explode from thinking too much....

Good thing they didn't do that puzzle challenge on Big Brother last night.

Kami and Karli are so interesting to watch

I completely agree with the originator of this thread. It was most entertaining to watch the players have to figure out where they were supposed to go, how they should get there, and what to do when they did get there. It took brain power, logical thinking, and team cooperation to solve many of the challenges. I'd much rather watch that than simply who has the strongest stomach. It was what made TAR a notch better than all the others and a deserving Emmy winner. I hope they reverse the dumbing down trend.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I completely agree with the originator of this thread...It took brain power, logical thinking, and team cooperation to solve many of the challenges. It was what made TAR a notch better than all the others and a deserving Emmy winner. I hope they reverse the dumbing down trend.
    Totally agree. I don't like this season. There are some changes that I really hate.
    1. First of all, it is not fear factor. I don't need so many eating challenges.
    I think they got this idea from last season (the gay couple went to Korea to eat something horrible). And for this season, The producer thinks it is the fun of the show.....Yuck.
    2. What is the use of bring Alison back? CBS wanted her to be back and make the show more noise? If they were not eliminated so early, they may be another team which probably fight against Colin and Christine or M/C
    3. We enjojed the past seasons (1-4) as contestants needed to solve a lot of problems and the tasks are meaningful and enjoyable to watch. And more importantly, they work PEACEFULLY. Do you notice that there are so many fights and arguements in this season and I think the producers chose a lot teams that certainly have the tendency of making troubles.
    I just feel annoyed. If I want to see people fight, why not I choose Survivor or big brothers. I remember at the last episode of every season, all eliminated teams will cheer and wait for the winner to the destination. I just want to see what happen in this season. How many of them are true-hearted to cheer for the winning team?

Now, I don't really care which team win. I am really disappointed to watch this season.

I really thought that the driving themselves thing was because of Charla not being able to reach the pedals on the car.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast