+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beggars and Givers

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think these non-elimination rounds are stupid. The bowling moms were the last team to check in at the pit stop, therefore they should no longer be in the race.
    From a game design perspective, the non-elimination legs are important. For one thing, they should help prevent what happened with Marshall & Lance from happening--that is, a team deciding "Yeah, I'm just not gonna do this roadblock because we'll probably be last anyway...so, let's just quit." As long as the hope for it being a non-elimination leg is there, then teams will complete the tasks and head for the pitstops as they're supposed to...even if they think they might be in last.

Granted, Marshall & Lance were also dealing with an injury, but if the hope of an NEL was taken away, I bet more teams would choose to quit when it got hard rather than doing the task and trying to finish no matter what...

pg--seattle

I agree with pg13:

From a game design perspective, the non-elimination legs are important. For one thing, they should help prevent what happened with Marshall & Lance from happening--that is, a team deciding "Yeah, I'm just not gonna do this roadblock because we'll probably be last anyway...so, let's just quit."
    Sometimes teams know when they're in last place -- take Bob and Joyce for example. They knew they were last, but they still finished the game in style and I'm sure hoping it would be a NEL. Plus, it's a twist to the game that doesn't really hurt anyone. And I agree a new twist to the team that finished last was needed -- especially after last year. When Jon and Kelly finished that leg on Ellis Beach in Australia, she voiced that she knew it would be a NEL and so wasn't really worried. So, for those kinds of situations, there should be some penalty for the team that comes in last in a NEL. But, even though the moms handled it well and I didn't hate then after it, I still don't like this new twist.

Not a fan of the begging. At all. The Moms played it off okay, I guess, but it is a recipe for terrible television I fear.

I think they could come up with a penalty that would be harsh enough, yet at the same time unlikely to result in begging.

Do ALL of the following--
    * Remove their ability to use Yield, if they haven't already
    * Same with FF, if they haven't already
    * Take away all of their saved money
    * Do not allow them to use their one-time emergency fund ON THE NEXT LEG, if they haven't already
    * Make them leave the PitStop 14 hours instead of 12 hours, so a 2 hour penalty
    * BUT, still give them the same starting money on the next leg, or at least 50-75% of what other teams receive

As far as someone's comment about not wanting any Non-Elim Legs. They are necessary, not from a gameplay standpoint necessarily, but from a TV standpoint. A normal run of a show is 13 episodes (26, if it runs through both Fall and Spring). So, TAR is structured around 13 legs in the race. If you want to have 3 teams in the final (13th) leg, you have to work backwards from there. You could start with 15 teams in the first leg, and have no NEL. That may be feasible, but it would be even harder to get enough time-per-team in the early legs, plus it would cost A LOT more to produce the show, versus the 11 teams currently. So, they reduce it from 15 teams down to 11 teams, and compensate with (15-11 = 4) NELs.

I've never understood the NEL-dislike. It's still the same show, same scenery, same comic relief, same tasks, some drama. I just look at NELs as a really long leg of the race, with a weeklong intermission. I do not feel the need to see someone booted each week.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Probably cold hearted too ColdBlooded's Avatar
    I honestly don't think the begging is that bad. Egypt, as a whole, isn't *THAT* poor and they hit up the tourists who obviously can spare some money if they're on a trip there. Personally, I think it would depend on where the teams have to beg. If tomorrow is a non-elimination leg, and a team ends up having to beg after the pitstop in next week's episode, then it might bother me considering where they end up (I won't say where in case it's considered a spoiler).

If they didn't give Linda and Karen any money to start last week's leg but let them keep their savings, they could've still been forced to beg if they didn't properly budget, accidently lost some money or whatever.

It's not a perfect solution to the NEL, but at least they're doing something now.

FORT Newbie
    Leftcoaster can you please send me 20 dollars. I plan to spend it on beer, that is the honest truth. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234