+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beggars and Givers

I personally view westerner's as a whole as probably having the same sort of likelihood of forking over with some cash. The only exception I would make is if someone were a TAR fan, in which case they would (in my mind) be more likely to be generous with their offering.
    True. Looking for any possible american tourists in the area to ask for money would of course be the better choice, as americans would very probably know they're on The Amazing Race, or the contestants can simply say they're on The Amazing Race and need money, even if they don't like asking for it. Overall, tourists are the better source for asking money if you need to, whereas locals are the best for finding your way (duh. )

Also, I guess there's always the chance that TAR has been shown in other countries and there could be fans of other countries too. For example, I live in Puerto Rico and I do get TAR, so I'm sure there must be other fans around here, and that other countries must have it too. Also, it really looked to me that the girl who helped the twins in the museum must have really been a TAR fan, because she looked very excited at helping out, knew exactly where to go and what to do, and was really perky when the twins got the clue, even reading it along with them. I found myself thinking that that girl must have known what TAR is and is herself a fan, which I found cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic277
    I'm English and I think that an Australian accent sounds similar to an American accent.
    As an Australian I'm going to say (j/k)

I do understand how some Americans can't tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent (having a few American friends in uni).
    "You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime."

FORT Newbie
    If the bowling mom's win the million dollars, I hope they take a sizeable portion of their winnings and make a donation to a worthy charity after being helped by the charity of others. I am sure if they said something to that affect when asking tourists for money they would have had no problem and not have to feel so guilty about begging.

I have to agree it's a horrible twist. You're asking people to give up their own money just to help some TV show? Maybe with the ratings being good this season next time they won't have to save money by doing something like this.

Probably being on camera was an incentive for some people to give money, they didn't want to look cheap
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_PeaCH
    . Did anyone else get a sense that the first tourists who didn't give money may have been perhaps European... and that the the second group who gave money were American?

.)
    No; actually I got the impression that both groups were European for more than one reason.
    1) The tourists were not dressed in the American "vacation uniform" of T shirts, baseball caps, and sneakers.
    2) If they had been Americans a substantial number of the tourists would have probably been noticably fat...not trying to be funny or mean, I'd go in the bigger category myself. I've noticed that if you see a big group of people in a vacation spot and very few or none of them are xxl....95% of the time they ain't from the US!
    3) I also noticed an accent from one of the donors, it didn't sound like an American to me.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JacknJillfmHill
    If the bowling mom's win the million dollars, I hope they take a sizeable portion of their winnings and make a donation to a worthy charity after being helped by the charity of others. I am sure if they said something to that affect when asking tourists for money they would have had no problem and not have to feel so guilty about begging.
    I believe that saying something altruistic like that without having the thought in your mind already would have you looking more guilty, not less, unless you have a bit of scam artist in you.

I'm more inclined to fork over cash to someone that appears to be telling the truth, no matter whether I particularly care for what they would be using the money for.

When John has a chance to interview Linda and Karen, hopefully after the finale, we'll have to dig up this thread and give him questions about the begging incident.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    CBS failed to realize that a big part of LOST's stunning failure was the distaste it leaves in American viewer's mouths to see Americans forced to beg in poorer countries.
    Agreed. And LOST! could have been easily fixed by a few simple changes that reduced the amount of begging needed. Give them a moderate daily allowance and limit their begging for additional funds to 15 minutes a day.

And, to eliminate the jarring endings (i.e., spending 3 days getting out of Mongolia and then 12 hours on a flight to New York), simply limit the total number of miles each team can travel by air.

Begging is a really bad idea for any reality show.
    -- Flash

I think these non-elimination rounds are stupid. The bowling moms were the last team to check in at the pit stop, therefore they should no longer be in the race.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast