+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beggars and Givers

veejer they got $35 - (Egyptian dollars??) at the very least.. One man gave them $20 and a woman gave them $10. another gave them $5
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Well they got enough to pay for at the very minimum a taxi cab and tickets to get into the place at Luxor. So unless they begged somewhere else along the line and we were not showed it they obviously got enough to cover any expenses for this leg.
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_megt
    I'm really not happy about the new twist to take money away from the contestants who come in last on a NEL. I agree they need to have some sort of penalty, but this one is a horrible, horrible idea. Most of the places the contestants go to on TAR are not in as financially good a shape as the U.S.

Plus, I find that people who tend to give are the ones who donít have much. As a professional who's worked in various non-profits for most of my adult life, the rich don't give as much as they lead us to believe they do, but the ones who genuinely care and give out of pure selflessness don't have that much to spare to begin with.

So having the teams beg is just awful. I really, really hope TPTB are paying the locals back, off-camera, for any money given to the teams, in this up-coming leg and any other.

I knew there would be a thread discussing this 'twist' and the begging that the 'soccer moms' had to (successfully) do in the last episode. For the record, Mad, I agree with your point about begging from the locals. As it turned out of course the moms bypassed that and went straight for the tourists. On to my point then.

The moms become reluctant beggars and we are shown them unsuccessfully petitioning some tourists at first and then successfully petitioning some others who step off a newly arrived bus. Did anyone else get a sense that the first tourists who didn't give money may have been perhaps European... and that the the second group who gave money were American?

Now without attempting to read too much into it (and if I am even correct with my assumption about their origins) is this noteworthy? If those first tourists did not speak or understand much english perhaps they were not comfortable in giving any money over for that reason. But I'm reasonably sure that the ones who did give money were American. Which I think is noteworthy; since the age-old global perception is of "The Ugly American" and of being rude and inconsiderate tourists.

Of course, turn the coin again, and surely all the tourists could see that these two women were being followed by a camera and small crew. Maybe these folks were just seeing an opportunity to get themselves on TV.

Delicate topic, I know. But I really did turn that over in my mind after watching it on Tuesday night... wondered if anybody else thought along these lines too or had any thoughts about it now.

(FWIW, I am an "American" and I have travelled in Europe, Great Britain and Latin America to both tourist traps and out of the way places.)

LG.
    I've metioned in other threads that I hate this "twist" as it forces teams to be "ugly Americans" in foreign countries. It was a stupid idea on the NBC series LOST, which premiered the same time as the first season of TAR. CBS failed to realize that a big part of LOST's stunning failure was the distaste it leaves in American viewer's mouths to see Americans forced to beg in poorer countries. It's completely unnecessary and IMHO a bad move for the show. The pushy law school gals from a season or two ago were chided for begging in Miami at the first leg a couple seasons ago, and they were in the US still. This is tasteless, plain and simple. To penalize the last place teams in NELs, the team should come up with something else, like having to lug something heavy with them for the next leg, instead of this.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I'm certain that the first man they showed actually giving money spoke perfect English with an accent... God, I'm bad at this, but it was English or Australian (because those sound alike ). I guess I'm trying to say I feel pretty sure he wasn't American. The first group smiled and giggled sort of nervously, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't understand.

I think the apples and oranges may have been part of their breakfast from the Pit Stop... that's a guess of course.

I HATE this twist. HATE it with a passion. I think PG13 has a good idea with making it one or the other with the money. I moaned and complained last year when the girls begged for money at the LA Airport (they even had money at the time), this whole FORCING them to beg pisses me off. Are you reading CBS??
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LG.
    cali - we're posting the same thoughts at the same time again

*jinx*

Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Well... I kinda like the new twist. I mean I don't think it's that bad. Although i do agree with the whole..

CBS failed to realize that a big part of LOST's stunning failure was the distaste it leaves in American viewer's mouths to see Americans forced to beg in poorer countries.
    and i'm not American.

I agree with pg13 aswell. Taking away the money they had or the starting money probably would have been a better idea for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    cali - we're posting the same thoughts at the same time again

*jinx*

If I'd knwn you were posted I would have waited and posted a ... you're so much better at telling people what I think
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_PeaCH
    Did anyone else get a sense that the first tourists who didn't give money may have been perhaps European... and that the the second group who gave money were American?
    Not that I can tell why, but I had the opposite impression, I thought it was Europeans that contributed to the cause. Perhaps it was because the people that ended up giving them money didn't have any comments that I noticed. Or maybe subliminally I read something from what they were wearing, I don't know. While I believe that having the camera crew aided Linda and Karen, I don't envision anyone giving money because they wanted to be on camera, not for a show they'd probably never personally see.

I personally view westerner's as a whole as probably having the same sort of likelihood of forking over with some cash. The only exception I would make is if someone were a TAR fan, in which case they would (in my mind) be more likely to be generous with their offering.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I'm certain that the first man they showed actually giving money spoke perfect English with an accent... God, I'm bad at this, but it was English or Australian (because those sound alike ).
    I'm English and I think that an Australian accent sounds similar to an American accent.

Oh, to LG. and Cali!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast