+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview with Bob and Joyce

Our Interview with Bob and Joyce

This week, I had the opportunity to speak with Bob and Joyce, the most recent team eliminated from The Amazing Race. They were fun to talk to, and here's what they had to say:

Bob and Joyce, let me start off by saying you were one of our site's favorite teams, and many of our members are sad that you were eliminated this week.

Joyce: I hope we didn't disappoint a lot of people. But we had a fun time.

It appeared you were a ways behind the other teams. How far behind them did you arrive at the pit stop?

Bob: We arrived I think about an hour after the Moms and the Twins. Well, that was back on the plane - we really don't know how far behind the other teams we were. I know that when we arrived at the caviar challenge, the last team, the twins, had already left on their way to check in.

Joyce: We never did really find out how far behind we were, about an hour or so.

Why did you eat the caviar if you knew you were last?

Bob: We were pretty sure we were the last ones there, there weren't any other clues in the box.

Joyce: It was a personal thing, that we were going to complete everything. And who knows, it could have been a non-elimination leg. We didn't know, and we were going to go down fighting.

Bob: She was amazing. I couldn't have taken more than 2 spoonfuls of that caviar. She was really amazing.

Joyce: It was gruesome.

It did look nasty, and it looked like the longer it sat there, the worse it got.

Joyce: It did. It was awful. And it looked like some of the other teams had red juice, I just had water to wash it down with, and it was awful. And I like caviar, and I told Bob that I'd do all of the eating competitions, because I'll eat virtually anything, I don't care, the grosser the better. I just didn't realize that it was 2 and a half pounds of caviar, it was just tough to ingest that.

It looked like you blocked 5 consecutive shots in the hockey task. Is that true?

Bob: They edited that, quite a few of them went through. In fact, are you a hockey fan, John?

Yes.

Bob: Do you know what the pie-hole is? I took one shot right through there. The first shot knocked me down, and I took the second shot right there.

Joyce: We did the task very quickly, though, and had a ball doing it. I mean, where else would you be able to play goalie for a hockey team? It was just phenomenal. Bob and I said early on that we were going to do all of the physical activities because we just wanted to have a ball with this.

Speaking of physical activities, you seemed pretty excited about paragliding. Was it the highlight of the race?

Joyce: It was. The paragliding was awesome. I'd always wanted to do it, and it was a dream come true for me, because it was just as awesome as it looked.

Bob: It couldn't have been done in a more fabulous locale. The scenery, with the big lake below, it was just fabulous.

Joyce: We were excited to do it. Jumping off the 17-story building was great, too, but paragliding was the best. And eating the chocolate was pretty good, too. I loved that.

It didn't look like you had to eat more than 2 or 3 pieces to get the clue.

Joyce: I ate more than 2 or 3, but I was only there for a few minutes. I only had to eat maybe 20 pieces.

Bob: She was amazing. She did it really fast, but she was eating through the chocolate like she was a machine. I'm sure we were the first team that passed Marshall in there, and he had already been in there for a long time. Then Joyce went in and found hers right away, and that really put him down a peg.

Joyce: I was so excited that I was able to do that so quickly, and I felt like Lucille Ball in my favorite episode.

Why did you enter the Race?

Bob: I prompted Joyce to enter. I'd been a fan of the show right from the start, my daughter got me interested in it. I thought it would be fun to try to apply. And having been a fan, I knew that some of the older couples in previous seasons were not that physically fit, and they didn't have as interesting a story as we did. I figured two widows that were physically fit and met on the internet would be a good catch for the producers, and it turned out to be.

Joyce: We have a great story, it's nice, and we're basically pretty nice people. And we want to be inspiring to widows or people without mates of any age, really, to just get out there and do something about it.

You said some very touching things about each other at the end - what are your plans for the future?

Joyce: Our plans are, we're certainly going to be together. Whether we get married or not, who knows, but we will definitely be together. Absolutely.

Bob: Joyce said it perfectly, we're totally committed to each other, and this is for real.

Joyce: The race just substantiated that. We knew it before, but the race solidified it. I feel like I'm a winner - I won Bob. And what better prize could I possibly get?

Bob: The race was fabulous, but now we get to go back to our regular life, which was pretty great already.

Joyce: We're blessed. I was married for 25 years, and Bob was married for over 30 years. My husband died of cancer, and I was alone for 8 years before I met Bob. And I didn't think it could happen to me again, I wasn't planning on it. But I have another life now, and I'm truly happy, and I think Bob is, too.

Bob: My wife died of cancer, too, and I met Joyce and we're having a great time. We have a terrific life together.

In a race that seems "meaner" than previous races, you two seemed to get through without an argument. Was this planned in advance and part of your strategy?

Bob: It was definitely part of our strategy. Having been a fan of the show, I was really surprised how contentious it got right away, I didn't expect that so soon. But we went out there with the idea that we were not going to annoy other teams, and we weren't going to let them get us down if they did things to annoy us. We were going to stay on an even keel and we did that. And we never really argued among ourselves either.

Joyce: It was a no-brainer for us. We're nice people to begin with, and we have to go back to our lives and our children. We didn't want to embarrass ourselves or our children that we acted badly on this show. But we're nice to people, and we're nice with each other, so it wasn't hard for us to be nice on the race. But it did get nasty. We got caught a couple of times in the crossfire.

What team did you get along with the best? And the worst?

Bob: We got along pretty well with everyone. We didn't have a real problem with any of the teams. We worked together with the Moms, and that worked out pretty good on the third leg. We worked together at the airport, waiting in separate lines to try to get the best tickts for each other. There was a moment on the Insider Videos where we had a little scuffle with Mirna. I warned her that if she left the line, she'd lose per place in line. She came back, and I'd moved her bag out of the way and stood in her place in the line. And she went crazy, and started yelling at me. But that didn't really bother me. We were still willing to work with Mirna and Charla, and we really didn't have problems with any of the teams.

Joyce: At the bus terminal, you saw that we kind of got screwed by Collin and the Brothers. But that's competition, and you kind of expect that, and there are no hard feelings for any of that. They're all very nice people. They're all very competitive, but they're supposed to be. It's a race, for crying out loud, and you did what you needed to do to get the job done. We never took it personal.

My thanks to Bob and Joyce for taking the time to speak with me, and again to CBS for the opportunity.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Great interview, John. Bob and Joyce will be missed in the race.

Captain of the World
    Nice job John,

You are fortunate to have this time to talk with the racers. Well done.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

LA Model, Part-time Actor
    Nice interview, and yeah, I agree, they will be missed in the race.

One Step Shy of Sanity Where'smyMidol?'s Avatar
    Im going to miss them also, I was really routing for them
    Thank God for TiVo....

"It's Nothing Personal. It's just business..." - Donald Trump

They brought a sense of calm and fun to this race. I loved the interview John you were able to bring across their personalities wonderfully!

Aww, I just want to give Bob and Joyce a big hug. Their genuine love for each other is so touching. They'll be missed!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Great interview! Thanks to Bob & Joyce for their "even keel" during the race. I loved their enthusiasm during the race. They will be surely missed.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob/Joyce
    You said some very touching things about each other at the end - what are your plans for the future?

Joyce: Our plans are, we're certainly going to be together. Whether we get married or not, who knows, but we will definitely be together. Absolutely.

Bob: Joyce said it perfectly, we're totally committed to each other, and this is for real.

Joyce: The race just substantiated that. We knew it before, but the race solidified it. I feel like I'm a winner - I won Bob. And what better prize could I possibly get?
    Great interview John! I really liked them and wished they stayed in longer. I have glad to hear everything is going well for them post-race.

It's a race, for crying out loud, and you did what you needed to do to get the job done.
    I LOVE this comment! I wish more teams would take that to heart and not take everything so personally. The twins, for example, could learn a thing or two from these guys.

Great race, Bob and Joyce! You represented yourselves well. We'll miss you.

Thanks for the interview, John. It was great, as always.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast