+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor vs Amazing Race

Survivor vs Amazing Race

Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thursday, December 13, 2001
    Final Race is on
    By BILL BRIOUX
    Toronto Sun
    Here's this season's biggest stumper: Why is Survivor Africa still so much more popular than The Amazing Race?

Week after horrible week, I'm forced to sit and watch a dwindling crew of crybabies mope in the jungle in the dull and predictable third instalment of Survivor. The more I complain, the more readers tune in. How could my evil plan backfire so badly?

Yet The Amazing Race, an edge-of-your-seat thriller by comparison that literally takes place all over the world, has been a ratings dud by comparison in the U.S., where it regularly finished third in its timeslot.

It has fared better in Canada. CTV normally aired it Wednesday nights at 9, following The West Wing, where it drew an average of 1.2 million viewers. That made it a Top-20 show in Toronto/Hamilton.

Tonight at least, Race gets to go out in a blaze of glory. The series concludes at 9 p.m. on CBS and CTV following -- what else -- Survivor.

If you haven't been watching The Amazing Race, it began last September, right before the horrible events of Sept. 11. The attacks on America seemed to take the wind out of the reality craze, and Race got off to a false start.

Yet each episode has more drama, tension and surprises than a season full of Survivor.

And the show has a way better cast. Three teams are still competing for the US$1-million prize: ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Unquote

Although the above newspaper article was written in Dec 2001,
    it still express my feelings exactly in Dec 2002. (By the way, I am
    not the author of the article, eventhough we're both named Bill.)
    It is a mystery to me why Survivor is more popular than the Amazing Race. Well, at least the Osbournes has been cancelled on CTV (Canadian Television) due to low ratings.
    Last edited by Bill747; 01-04-2003 at 09:46 PM.

I watched the Amazing Race 1 & 2 fanatically, but managed to miss all of season 3. I'm sure I'll be back for #4. (a) because it's a great show & (b) because of the FORT

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Sadly I agree, and I'm just not sure what can be done about it.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think people are scared to watch TAR because of all the bad reality shows on TV. It really needs more promotion.

The thing is, both it and Survivor can coexist just fine, as the premise of the two shows is significantly different, and both are good in their own ways.

I think CBS should take a chance and air TAR the same night as Survivor, the hang on audience would help.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Good idea Bill. I think CSI is ready to stand on it's own now.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Originally posted by jodaar
    Good idea Bill. I think CSI is ready to stand on it's own now.
    I totally agree - it could boost another show now on its own merits.

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but won't it be CBS' turn to air the Super Bowl in 2004? Well, hopefully after TAR5 airs in the fall, CBS airs the premiere of TAR6 after the Super Bowl like they did with Survivor Africa. That would be great.

I love The Amazing Race and I just wish they would get more ratings. All the critics love it, TVGuide called it the best reality show of 2002. It is just amazing to me how Survivor which has been so dull can still get bigger ratings than TAR.

The Bachelor probably had a little hand in TAR3's lower ratings, but TAR definitely deserves more ratings. I hope when the Emmys come around, TAR is nominated and not Survivor. Survivor Thailand, IMO, was not up to par with the previous editions.

Welcome to the site, NBCDF!

That would be ideal, if CBS would launch TAR6 after the Superbowl next season. If ratings don't pick up, I hate to try to predict if there WILL be a TAR6 by that time, though.

Everyone convince 4 of your friends to watch this show for the next season, and let's see if we can't get those ratings up!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    NBC!! Welcome to the FORT.

Great idea and I hope we get a TAR6!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast