+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meaner this season?

Captain of the World
    It seems to me that the Bowling Moms and Chip and Kim are pretty happy all the time.

Chip has had some of the best subtle one liners I have ever heard. He is always smiling and seems to be not taking things too seriously.

I think he is still focused on the race, but seems to be happy throughout. Aside from the cab incedent, (which at that time he had to do because he though he was in last place) he has always seemed to have fun.

There is nothing wrong with running an intense race, every team is bringing different personalities. I like the mix of characters, love them or hate them there is good contrast this year.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

When I saw this thread the first thing that cam to mind was when one of the brothers yelled out B...h at Mirna and Charla. How mean was that? I didn't have a clue as to why they did that.

But then they were hit because of it, karma was not on their side when it came to the chocolates. lol

Captain of the World
    How mean was that? I didn't have a clue as to why they did that.
    Not to defend them for doing it (although I laughed hard when it happened) but they basically did it because of her snotty attitude towards them at the airport.

There is also a lot that we don't see ( we get anywhere from 1-3 days wraped up into 45 minutes) there could have been many other arguments or problems between the two teams that caused the brothers to yell it.

Again, I don't condone it, although I laughed. Sometimes we laugh at things we know we shouldn't.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

There has been some pretty nasty behavior in previous seasons - remember how nasty Kelly and (I forget her partner's name) were to Chuck and Millie? And in AR 3, how a whole group of teams decided to gang up against Kevin and Drew just because they were two good-looking guys? We've seen lots of competitive behaviour this time around, but with exception of the "bitch" comment made to Mirna, nothing that descends to the petty, childish behavior of some players past. (I'd put Nicole's "bitch" comment to Marsha in that category too, but they didn't include it in the show).
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Quote Originally Posted by momof2dogs
    There has been some pretty nasty behavior in previous seasons - remember how nasty Kelly and (I forget her partner's name) were to Chuck and Millie? And in AR 3, how a whole group of teams decided to gang up against Kevin and Drew just because they were two good-looking guys? We've seen lots of competitive behaviour this time around, but with exception of the "bitch" comment made to Mirna, nothing that descends to the petty, childish behavior of some players past. (I'd put Nicole's "bitch" comment to Marsha in that category too, but they didn't include it in the show).
    That was Derek & Drew that was ganged up. Kevin & Drew were from AR1.
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel1680
    When I saw this thread the first thing that cam to mind was when one of the brothers yelled out B...h at Mirna and Charla. How mean was that? I didn't have a clue as to why they did that.

it was because of her attitude at the airport , remember one of them walked away and said "i hate her and will get even with her" well i guess yelling bitch was the way, at least it wasn't a physical confrontation. plus too she was in clueless land on who did it and why? just like a ditzy blonde.

FORT Fogey
    The competition is not any fiercer, meaner or more dishonest than it was during the first four seasons. This has been a fairly typical (albeit very entertaining) season so far.

Also, I don't feel that the editing has been any more misleading than in previous seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Daddy
    That was Derek & Drew that was ganged up. Kevin & Drew were from AR1.
    Thanks! I'm horrible with names (obviously)!
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

FORT Newbie
    Well I think this season's edited to appear a tad more ruthless than the previous seasons. It's now more "Every man for himself"...I have feeling the producers of the show probably tweaked it in that direction this season. I am wondering if they'd done away with the FF or limited it since considering the circumstances from previous legs, some of the teams, as done usually in previous seasons. probably would opt for the FF. Then there's the Yield... My hunch is that the producers wanted to do away with alliances and camaraderie from past seasons. By increasing the stakes, teams are prompted to cover their own asses and have less respect for alliances. They anticipated more tension and conflicts arising from thus. Even "Yield" is less about prompting racers into camaraderie rather than ....how do I describe it?....exploiting the tension. There's another ingredient to TAR this season in addition to the Original 3 (Skill, Stamina, Luck) - drama. The difference being, I think, the new addition is primarily meant to lure viewership. Of course there is always drama from previousTARs, just that this time it's taken more weight. There are more reasons to hate, more cloak n dagger schemes....

Of course i may be wrong, heehee....

While I don't think that any individual team has been meaner than the worst of other seasons I think the difference this year is that more teams are acting at least SOMEWHAT mean.

We don't have anyone truly evil (except Alison, who is gone), but we have plenty of people who are petty (or so hyper-competitive that it's resulting in the same thing).

Editing is some of this. Fights and conflict make good ratings, and well... it's working. TAR has the best ratings ever.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast