+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone noticed that there is no bunching up this year??

Has anyone noticed that there is no bunching up this year??

Unless I'm forgetting something, at no time in the first 3 episodes of TAR5 have the teams arrived at a location at 2 AM only to find a sign, "hours of operation: 8AM-5PM"

I know a lot of viewers hated when this happened, as it penalized the frontrunniners. Other viewers liked it, because it allowed teams to recover and catch up from a dumb mistake.

I'm ok without it, but combining this WITH the lack of a fast forward sure does make it harder to catch up than it was in previous year (yes, I know Donnie and Ali went from 1st to worst in episode 2)

Eric

LG.
    they all bunched up when they were waiting for the ferry, as there was only the question as to whether Charla and Mirna would make it, and they did, so all of the teams were on the same ferry, totally equalized.

Otherwise, I don't really remember any of it happening yet this season, but it is bound to happen as places do have hours of operation.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Last week they did all bunch up at the Airport .. now granted some of them stayed there longer than others. (Poor Jim and Marsha )
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by 2ctheworld
    Last week they did all bunch up at the Airport .. now granted some of them stayed there longer than others. (Poor Jim and Marsha )
    I used to think of the bunching up instances as the great "equalizers." The air flights are the best of these -- except in Jim and Marsha's case. That also struck me as unfair.
    Shaken, not stirred.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ctheworld
    Can you imagine Marsha doing her cheer "Nuts & Bolt. Nuts & Bolts. We got SCREWED!" They really did.

I'm really THAT Dave
    There has been bunching in every leg, perhaps you just didn't recognize it as such. The ferry ride and the airport (both previously mentioned) are examples of same. I'll admit that it hasn't been as apparant this season, but it's still there.

Dave

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, totally.

But it's happening less. It used to happen multiple times in each episode last year. Which does make it more exciting because then you are never sure who's gonna get eliminated. I mean, it could be ANY of the...say 9 teams that are left. Which is ok. It DOES get tiresome though. But sometimes it's perfectly fine.

I think there are two types of bunching:

1) Sequential Bunching. Even though all teams will find themselves together in one spot, the order in which they arrive does have some significance because tickets/reservations have to be made at the location of the bunching that are created on a first come first served basis. Examples: Airports where seats for flights are limited, scavenger hunt type challenges where the earlier you arrive, the more chance you have of grabbing an earlier ticket.

2) Complete Bunching. The order in which teams arrived has no significance. The teams will all proceed with the race at the same time. Note: There might be a line of some sort when the race resumes, but the waiting would be trivial. Example: Boarding a ferry that carries all the teams, waiting for a shop to open to get required equipment for a next task.

The first kind obviously rewards faster teams more than the second, and so I think it is the most race-friendly kind (in terms of competition). I assume the race organizers will want to stick as many of them as possible.

I have found that previous TAR's had more complete bunching that this current one so far. But all in all, I don't think there is too much change.
    Last edited by Zaius; 07-27-2004 at 03:42 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

While the teams have not as yet been to such a location, other instances leading to bunching up have occurred. Like the others have said, waiting for modes of transport is one of them.
    'A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Winston Churchill

Captain of the World
    While I used to think bunching was lame and unfair to those who were in the lead, my oppinion has shifted slightly. I think bunching is good for the race. It makes everyone have to re think their strategies and gives us unpredictable outcomes. If there were no pitstops or bunching, one team could get so far ahead that the race would be over after the first two episodes.

Now on the other hand it might be cool to see a race with no pitstops or bunching and just let them go. First team to hit all the route markers and cross the finish line wins. HMMMMMMMMMM.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast