+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone noticed that there is no bunching up this year??

Well I think that even if they had been able to go up the Helipad that night they would have had to stop for the night one or two clues later. Maybe they would have been able to take the taxi boat, but they would not have been able to go skydiving or drive in the sand dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsSara
    It makes me wonder if they alter the hours according to what is going on with the game.
    This has been one of my pet theories for a while. Either that, or they have alternate challenges and destinations available and change THOSE depending on where the racers are relative to each other. So if they don't want to be as over-the-top suspicious as changing established hours, they simply make a judgement call when the first wave of racers approach and slot in the ones with built-in delays whenever they think they need it. Of course, once the first team gets a clue the whole production is committed. Heck, I think some "changes" in upcoming tasks may even happen during the off-days at the put stops when the producers sit down and calculate what it would take for a team who is OBVIOUSLY way behind to catch up.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, that was brilliant man... although I totally disagree that they do that. I mean think about all the work and co-ordination they've had to do to do something like that. They'd have to go and tear down all the flags at the alternative tasks... and with the rumors going around about the elimination of the fast forward being budget minded, I don't think they'd go about spending all the money setting up alternative tasks only to eliminate them without ever seeing the light of day.

But back to the bunching. Granted I hate to see the bunching, but I don't think the helipad was a planned bunch... because if they really wanted to bunch everyone up, they would have started all the chartered flights 30 minutes earlier, so the Bowling Mom's would have made that first flight to Dubai. Maybe they got held up in customs... maybe the taxi's hit rush hour traffic, who knows... but I think some of the teams might had been able to hit the helipad before 6pm.

Maybe the closure of the helipad at 6pm isn't TAR's decision, maybe it's a local ordinance, as I think alot of the "artifical" bunchings seem to be. Sure you can walk through dark quarters at any hour (pyraminds and sewers and whatnot), but maybe the city doesn't want drunken people wandering their sewers at 2am. I'm not saying TAR has anyone intoxicated on it, just saying locals might get drunk at a tavern and then say hey all, lets go wander the sewers drunken style (if the sewers were open 24 hours). Same rationale for the pyraminds... they don't want to be responsible for people wandering in and out of the pyraminds 24 hours a day...

I'm really THAT Dave
    I actually tend to agree with Krom. While there are occasions where the bunching occurs naturally (i.e. - an airport having no flights until a certain hour, a building being closed for the evening, etc.), I strongly suspect that some of the "Hours Of Operation" are set on the fly. The strongest evidence I've seen for that occurred this season in the Detour near the pyramids. While one choice (the camel/carpet hauling) had Hours of Operation, the other (stone pulling) didn't.

The only teams that had the possibility of arriving in time to meet the HOO were Colin/Christie and Charla/Mirna. C/C took the Fast Forward, leaving only C/M with the possibility of completing that choice on the Detour. This basically turned the Detour into a Roadblock for all the remaining teams, albeit a Roadblock that both team members could perform. I found it interesting that the only choice that C/M could have completed (the camels/carpets) was the one that had the HOO. (I sincerely doubt that those two could have finished the stone pull, period.) It was also interesting that the HOO allowed them just enough time to get to the start of that portion of the Detour...sort of.

Dave

Probably cold hearted too ColdBlooded's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    I strongly suspect that some of the "Hours Of Operation" are set on the fly. The strongest evidence I've seen for that occurred this season in the Detour near the pyramids. While one choice (the camel/carpet hauling) had Hours of Operation, the other (stone pulling) didn't.

The only teams that had the possibility of arriving in time to meet the HOO were Colin/Christie and Charla/Mirna. C/C took the Fast Forward, leaving only C/M with the possibility of completing that choice on the Detour. This basically turned the Detour into a Roadblock for all the remaining teams, albeit a Roadblock that both team members could perform. I found it interesting that the only choice that C/M could have completed (the camels/carpets) was the one that had the HOO. (I sincerely doubt that those two could have finished the stone pull, period.) It was also interesting that the HOO allowed them just enough time to get to the start of that portion of the Detour...sort of.
    I found that very suspicious as well. It almost seemed like the detour in that leg was set up to benefit Charla and Mirna, since they would've definitely struggled with the stone pull. I've always been suspicious by nature, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Another thing that bothered me was the hours of operation on the descent into the pyramid at the start of the leg two weeks ago. Colin and Christie had a 7 hour lead on the other teams and it was largely nullified because they weren't able to get in until 6am. Why would there be hours of operation for something like that? I recall someone saying they usually don't allow people in there, so it's not like it's a tourist trap or something like that. We weren't even shown someone unlocking the gate so they could get in there.
    I might be overreacting, but it just seemed a little suspicious.

But wouldn't it too last minute for the prodcuers to change the clue to help Charla and Mirna? i mean they wouldn't know that they would be coming in before 6..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123