+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-20 recap ~ "That's IT?"

7-20 recap ~ "That's IT?"

I must apologize in advance for the crapfest you are about to read…Assuming you continue after that sentence anyway. I’ve been having a rough time of it these past few days, and unfortunately this crapcap will reflect the time and energy I had to actually sit and write. I’m not trying to imply that my other recaps have been literary masterpieces. I know they haven’t, but this one… well… it’s craptacular. Like I said: I apologize in advance.

As always I will start by giving you what I call:

The Particulars

Teams will leave the Pit Stop in the order in which they arrived after the previous leg. They must drive themselves 60 miles to the airport and get a flight to San Carlos De Bariloche, a small town at the base of the Andes. Once there, the teams must find the Mayor who will give them the next clue.

That clue takes the players to this weeks Road Block. The teams are only told that the person choosing to do the Road Block should have a Sweet Tooth. Considering they are at this point standing in the Turista Chocolate Factory, teams are pretty confidant that they know what they have to do. They are probably pretty close. The team member must bite into small chocolates lined up on a few tables in the factory. They must keep biting until they find one with a white center. There are close to 11,000 chocolates, yet only 20 have white centers. Once the task is completed a happy little factory worker gives them the next clue. He must not be the one that has to clean up, and I figure he has something against the janitor because he’s really happy and these guys are making a huge mess.

The clue they receive from The Factory guy sends them to Villa Catedral where they must take a gondola to the mountain top and trek a short distance to the next clue box. This clue contains directions for the Detour. This week it is Smooth Sailing or Rough Riding. Teams choosing Smooth Sailing will paraglide off a 5,000 foot mountain in tandem with a professional paraglider. What a cool job that must be. Making the Rough Ride choice will take a 6 mile trail on mountain bikes to the base of the same mountain. Regardless of the choice, the teams will find the same clue waiting for them. This clue sends them directly to the Pit Stop 14 miles away. Bahia Lopez is located by a small bay, in that bay are a few unnamed islands. Phil and three local children await the contestants on one the islands... an island you can walk to through what looks top be ankle high waters. Phil lets us know that the last team to arrive will be eliminated. The clue, on the other hand, tells the contestants that they may be eliminated. I like that.

On to the race.

Brandon and Nicole 11:50pm

When leaving the Pit Stop for the airport teams must drive through a rather muddy section of road. Brandon, and I’m sorry I don’t know where he’s from, but I have to assume it’s somewhere that doesn’t EVER have mud, tells driver Nicole that she needs to stop…in the mud. Nicole doesn’t want to, but decides to anyway. I’m not sure anyone of driving age was surprised when they got stuck. I do, though think people of any age were surprised when Brandon decided that since he had totally engulfed his shoes in the mud he should take them off and make sure that his socks matched. I’m really still trying to figure that thought process out. Meanwhile Charla and Mirna have stopped AFTER getting through the mud, to see if everything is OK with their new friends. After seeing that Brandon and Nicky have a tractor driver to help them out, they return to the car. Brandon and Nicole, out God-fearing friends have an alliance with Charla and Mirna. This alliance lasts until Charla and Mirna go straight, and Brandon and Nicole go right. At the airport our two friends are on the phone trying to figure out where to get the tickets they will need, about 10 feet away from the phone is the counter they will later be waiting in line in front. They meet up with other racers and are making and breaking new alliances faster than Nicole can ask for forgiveness. The entire airport scene was confusing for me as there seemed to be 4 flights out, but all the racers were getting themselves on stand by for already sold out flights. Now, these two had alliances…as I mentioned above. There were people everywhere willing to get them tickets on flights. Charla and Mirna were in one line and Jim and Marsha were in another. Some how even with these teams getting them tickets Brandon and Nicole wound up on a flight with Marshall and Lance. The plane left at 9:40am and got them to San Carlos De Bariloche in good time. Brandon, making an alliance with a non racer apparently, got directions to the Mayors office ant the two wasted no time getting the clue for the Road Block where Brandon digs in and starts eating. He seems to get the white chocolate rather quickly, and the two head off for the Detour. Once atop the mountain the decision is made to Paraglide down. I will assume they enjoyed themselves, only because I figure I would have. They head off for the island Pit Stop and arrive…

Charla and Mirna 11:51pm

The cousins feel as though they are working well together… cut to scene of Mirna yelling at Charla to hurry up. It seems like I hear that a lot from Mirna. As I mentioned in Brandon and Nicole’s paragraph Charla and Mirna had no trouble getting through the mud. They did of course, stop to check on Brandon and Nicole. The muddy section of road is close to the Pit Stop, which if you remember was on a working Ranch. I assume that they are still on the property, as there is an electric fence dividing the field from the road. An electric fence that Charla needs to grab in order to not slip on the way back to the car. This is where the title of both the episode and my recap come into play. Yes she was electrocuted, but gee, it wasn’t the highlight of the episode. I was expecting Sparks people! So yeah, even though I bet it hurt like hell, I had to let out a “That’s IT?” when it was all said and done. Charla was fine, and carried on like the trooper that she is. I have a feeling we would have been hearing about it for the next few weeks had it been Mirna. They get a little lost heading for the airport, but do manage to get there in time to get into an argument with Lance and Marshall, all while trying to keep the alliance with Brandon and Nicole. You remember… the one alliance Brandon and Nicole ditched a few miles back. It doesn’t take Mirna long to realize that the alliance is over, as she sees the pair making alliances in other lines. Charla is busy telling the woman at the counter that she needs to go see a doctor, so really needs the earliest available flight out. The woman puts her on a priority waiting list, and this plan pays off as the cousins get tickets on a flight leaving at 9:10. This type of game play always scares me. I don’t mind that they are playing this way, I just figure karma may very well come bite them on the butt. Once the plane lands they head to the huge jeeps that are marked and waiting for the racers. Mirna takes a while to figure out the gears, and how to make it work, but manages to get them going. They meet the Mayor, get the clue and head off for the chocolate factory where it’s up to Charla to take on the Road Block as Mirna would surely vomit if she had to do it. Charla climbs up on a stool and is bookin’ it through rows of chocolate. She’s making a huge mess, not only on herself, ,but on the stool, the floor, the table… She finds the white one and after the two leave the factory, they leave the scene of an accident. Seems Mirna hasn’t quite figured out the gears yet, and she hits the parked car behind her. Alarms go off, but no one comes. (I think this is one more sign that The Amazing Race is being filmed in this country). Once she starts to get the car going another team drives by and yells “Bitch”. I’ll give you a few minutes to try and figure out who…ohhh…ahhh the suspense. Yeah…whatever. So anyhoodle, Charla and Mirna head off for the gondola, receive the clue and decide, without hesitation to paraglide as their Detour. Mirna is busy trying to reassure Charla, who looks to me as though she really doesn’t need any. Charla seems excited to fly, and Mirna seems pretty scared. I figure she’s going with the tried and true method of actually trying to convince herself that everything will be OK. Of course, everything is OK and the pair head off for the for the car to drive themselves to the Pit Stop. Charla takes a minute to do a cart wheel while Mirna takes time to try and fix her hair. She seems concerned because every time she’s seen Phil, she looks like crap. I actually feel for her, as everyone knows Phil is the last guy in the world I’d want to look like crap for. They find the island, trek through the water and arrive…

Jim and Marsha 12:21am

Daughter and Dad are excited to know that they went from last place to third in one leg of the race. They feel as though they are doing a great job, and will continue to so. Marsha makes it through the mud…again a driver who knew not to stop. At the airport Marsha decides to buy herself the last ticket on a flight leaving at 9:10. The only problem with this is that she has to put Dad on stand by. I’m pretty sure that they wind up on stand by for the 10:30 flight too, but I’m really not sure how this happens. I thought she actually bought at least one ticket for that flight, but hell, I guess not. Jim and Marsha get a late flight out, but decide to make up time by hiring cabs to follow. They only received 11 dollars for this leg, so they really have to be careful. Once they meet the Mayor, and get to the Tourista Chocolate Factory, it’s up to Jim to take care of the Road Block and eat his way to the next clue. Marsha makes for a great cheerleader, encouraging him through every bite. She’s relieved when he finally finds the needed piece and the two head off for the mountain. I guess the Detour choice to paraglide was easy for them. Neither seemed scared, and I can’t imagine that Jim’s knee was up for a 6 mile bike ride down the side of a mountain. Marsha lands first, and watches her dad finish his trip. They get back into the car, hire another cab to follow and head off for the Pit Stop arriving…

Linda and Karen 12:28am

These two seem to be enjoying themselves more than any other team on the show. I may venture out to say that they are on course to tie Drew and Kevin as the teams that had the most fun in any season. Linda laughs as she zooms through the mud that held up Brandon and Nicole before them. Karen, in the back seat, tells us that Linda’s energy is infectious, and it must be true, and Karen is having a blast too. The moms are in a semi alliance with Bob and Joyce, so when the team gets a tad lost it is no surprise that Bob and Joyce pull over with the moms to try to figure out the best route to the airport. The surprise comes when another team pulls over, and the allied four have a new team to follow. They get themselves tickets on a decent flight and find the mayor with no problems, and at the Road Block (correct me if I’m wrong) it’s Linda who eats, and Karen who cheers. The pair head off for the Detour and even though Linda is scared to go, they opt for the paragliding. Karen jumps first, and is laughing and enjoying the entire ride. There is a brief moment when she worries that Linda hasn’t jumped yet, gives a quite “come on Linda” encouraging whisper, and continues to enjoy her ride. On the mountain top Linda is freaking out a little. It’s the first jump… well really the only jump., that has her worried. She doesn’t have much of a choice though, as the guys running the outfit grab her, make her run, and pretty much fling her off the mountain. She loved it. They are happy and giggly all the way to the Pit Stop[ where they greet Phil…

Bob and Joyce 12:31am

If you’re still reading the crapfest that is this week’s recap, you may notice that each paragraph is getting smaller and smaller. This has nothing to do with my time restraints or lack of energy. It has everything to do with the fact that some teams did a whole lot less than others, and they happen to go in this order. Hmmm, that’s not bad bulking up of what would have been a three-line paragraph. Joyce informs us that the two of them feel as though you don’t have to be physically fit to win this race. You need to be able to handle the stress of racing and teams must be able to figure out the best way to get to the next clue. Although I agree to a point, I think Bob and Joyce are pretty physically fit, so it does play a part in winning. Man, I think I’d like to see this couple win it all. The team gets out of the airport on a 10:30 flight and get the clue directing them to the Road Block where it seems that Joyce has to bite into two pieces of chocolate before finding one that will garner them the next clue. Once they arrive atop the mountain and learn that they have the option to Paraglide for the Detour, Joyce is thrilled, as she’s always wanted to try it. You rock Joyce! They finish up and head of for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Colin and Christie 12:32am

Colin has a strategy to help anyone they can, figuring that sooner or later they will be able to reap the benefits of all that helping, and be on the receiving end when it really counts. If you haven’t guessed, this is the team that stopped to chat it up with Bob and Joyce and Jim and Marsha. He led the others to the airport knowing it wouldn’t hurt his chances of advancing in the game. I figure he’s playing it smart. I really am not overly fond of him as a person, but I think the strategy will work. I don’t think I’d think so lowly of him if her weren’t so darned rude to Christie. At the airport he tells her that she’s too high stung and that she’s stressing out the ticket agent so she should stop talking and let him do everything. Now, I guess I could understand if her were partnered with Flo, but this is Christie, she doesn’t strike me as high strung at all. In fact, of the two I’d label him as the one about to snap. They get tickets out on an early flight, and get to meet the Mayor in good time. Colin will do the Road Block because… well, I guess because he’s a man and figures he could do it better? I don’t really know. I do know that he gets mad at Christie for not watching his every delicate bite, and they are delicate, and demands that she do just that. Once she does, she gets him off track by thinking she saw a white filled chocolate. I can’t help but hope that she knew darned well she didn’t, just wanted to give him a little hell. He gets his precious chocolate and the two head off for the Detour where… you guessed it, they opted to paraglide. The Texan Duo head off for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Marshall and Lance 12:41am

They feel the need to tell us that they don’t have body builder physics. I guess they are doing a public service for any viewer who may be blind as it’s pretty obvious to the rest of us. On the way to the airport the brothers get a flat tire. Once they get the jack out of the trunk they admit that they haven’t ever seen “one of these things”, but are determined to figure out how to use it. The tire iron, of course confuses them some more. The self-described fat Jews manage to change the tire in 13 minutes. It took me 5 when I was 7 months pregnant. I’m just saying is all. At the airport Marshall argues with Mirna and tells us that she will get even with them at some point. I’m not sure where the hostility comes from as all that Mirna did was get in line to by tickets before the brothers did. Yes, Marshall and Lance did figure out where they needed to be first, but heck, it’s a race people. Deal with it. Being on the 9:40 flight put them in San Carlos at a good time and they had no problem getting to the Mayor. On the way to the Chocolate Factory, ,they see their foes and Lance comes up with the mature idea to yell “BITCH” out the window as they pass. He thinks he’s mighty funny, and enjoys a good laugh. Once at the Road Block Marshall don’s the apron to eat some chocolate. I feel that need to mention the apron as he somehow manages to get his shirt covered in chocolate. I guess that happens when it takes you so long to perform the task that several other teams come and go as you sit and eat. Finally, after a very long time (Lance is sure it’s over an hour) Marshall gets the white piece and the clue. The brothers quickly decide that they must paraglide at the Detour and have a hard time when they realize they have to run. Hmmm, perhaps it was the fact that they had to run off a mountain, but I’m pretty sure it was just the running part that bothered them. They reach the bottom, and find the directions for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Chip and Kim 1:08 am

The couple has decided that from this point forward they will have no alliances, and count solely on each other. This is a plan that could work for many teams, but I’m not positive it will work for these two. Chip and Kim get themselves on a 10:30 flight to San Carlos De Bariloche and are excited at having met the Mayor. At the Road Block it’s up to Chip to eat the chocolates. He doesn’t even begin the task with any enjoyment, but that’s ok, as he seems to finish it quickly. He and Kim head off for the gondola ride and run to the clue box. I’m not sure if there is any debate or not, but the two choose the Paragliding for the Detour portion of this leg. They finish the flight, ,hop into their car and head off for the Pit Stop, arriving…

Kami and Karli 1:13am

After the cab incident last week, the twins have decided Chip is an ass. I don’t have anywhere to go with that statement, yet felt compelled to include it. The twins get themselves to the airport and manage to get stand by seats to a good flight out. One of them performs the chocolate eating Road Block, but since the one cheering decided not to use her sisters name, I have no idea which one does it. Whoever it was does a great job and manages to find the right chocolate in what seems to be great time. Wow, It seems as though I could finish this paragraph up in one or two more sentences… I’ll try not to. Once they arrive at the Detour they, like all those before them opt to paraglide. I feel bad for the guys who rent the bikes as no one came by to chat. It seems that it would be a poor choice to make though, unless you were deathly afraid of falling off of a mountain. It also seems that if one were deathly afraid of falling off a mountain that participation in the Amazing Race would be a poor choice over all. One of the twins wound up with a tandem partner who must of liked her, as she had to fake being ill in order for him to land the glider. Once they get with in sight of the Pit Stop they realize they must swim to get there. Now, my question to you is this: Have you been reading this recap all the way through? If you have, then you know that teams could wade through ankle high water to reach the island on which Phil is waiting. When the girls strip down to their bathing suits and start to dive I actually screamed. I was sure they were both going to face plant themselves in the shallow water. What I didn’t realize is the crew has done a great job on the soundstage out west, and the girls were diving into water that was a few feet deep. It was just so clean, and it looked like the water you could walk through. Yeah, they were fine, if a tad embarrassed when Phil told them others had opted for the short walk. They found this out when they arrived…

Pit Stop

Phil and his three new friends greeted the teams in this order:

1. Colin and Christie (6)
    2. Charla and Mirna (2)
    3. Brandon and Nicole (1)
    4. Bob and Joyce (5)
    5. Kami and Karli (9)
    6. Linda and Karen (4)
    7. Chip and Kim (8)
    8. Marshall and Lance (7)

Which means that the Father and Daughter team of Bob and Marsha were eliminated this week. They were not surprised but did have a good time. She was proud of dad, but dad was able to vocalize how proud he was of her beautifully telling us that all the things he thought he’d be able to teach her on this trip, she already knew. I’m sad to see them go, and hope they thoroughly enjoyed their time racing.

Comments? Are they nice? If you’re a member post away, if not, sign up or email me cali@fansofrealitytv.com
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    You know what? You said this was a craptacular recap and IT REALLY WASNT. Some of it was short but that was because well there wasnt much to say. I laughed many times at Mirna and Charla and Brandon and Nicole. Stop putting it down because it was very good and I had a fun time reading it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    They feel the need to tell us that they don’t have body builder physics. I guess they are doing a public service for any viewer who may be blind as it’s pretty obvious to the rest of us. On the way to the airport the brothers get a flat tire. The self-described fat Jews manage to change the tire in 13 minutes. It took me 5 when I was 7 months pregnant. I’m just saying is all. The brothers quickly decide that they must paraglide at the Detour and have a hard time when they realize they have to run. Hmmm, perhaps it was the fact that they had to run off a mountain, but I’m pretty sure it was just the running part that bothered them.
    I don't care what you say, this was far from a 'crapfest'. Another hilarious recap Cali!

One Step Shy of Sanity Where'smyMidol?'s Avatar
    What did y'all think of the "Electrocution"
    Thank God for TiVo....

"It's Nothing Personal. It's just business..." - Donald Trump

FORT Newbie
    I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Kami and Karli 1:13am

Once they get with in sight of the Pit Stop they realize they must swim to get there. Now, my question to you is this: Have you been reading this recap all the way through? If you have, then you know that teams could wade through ankle high water to reach the island on which Phil is waiting. When the girls strip down to their bathing suits and start to dive I actually screamed. I was sure they were both going to face plant themselves in the shallow water. What I didn’t realize is the crew has done a great job on the soundstage out west, and the girls were diving into water that was a few feet deep. It was just so clean, and it looked like the water you could walk through. Yeah, they were fine, if a tad embarrassed when Phil told them others had opted for the short walk. They found this out when they arrived…
    This was my favorite part of the whole show.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

These two seem to be enjoying themselves more than any other team on the show. I may venture out to say that they are on course to tie Drew and Kevin as the teams that had the most fun in any season.
    I will beg to differ, and say that the team that seemed to have the most fun previously was the couple known as "Cha-Cha-Cha." They travelled in style, and always had fun! IMHO
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

Cali,

thanks for an entertaining recap. I am rooting for Bob and Joyce too - you've gotta like their attitude.

You mentioned that you've had a rough couple of days ... just wanted to say I hope things are going better, and we appreciate you taking the time to amuse us in the midst of it all.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Ancient City,

ITA!! The Cha-cha's were great. I'll never forget them taking time out to go shopping, or them working with the concierge at a luxury hotel to get travel reservations while the other teams were sweating it out at the airport.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Cali, your recaps are my only link to what's happening in TAR5, which is a grrrrreat deal. On top of that, your recaps are well-written, with the perfect amount of wit - pure genius!

Being able to read the CaliCaps makes up for not being able to watch TAR5. Well....almost. That whole "I-can't-see-Phil" thing is a bit of a bummer though

THANK YOU!!
    "You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast