+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAR Continues to Score in Ratings

FORT Fan

TAR Continues to Score in Ratings

CBS's "The Amazing Race" is turning up the heat this summer in the ratings.

On Tuesday (7/20) CBS finished first for the entire night among total viewers and the 18-49 year old demographic (something CBS isn't known for). Source: Nielsen Fast National Ratings.

More over, CBS won each of the three hours of programming last night. "Race" was the top draw of the night, tying for first place at 10 p.m. with NBC's "Law & Order: SVU". Both series scored a 6.9 rating. However, "Race" inched ahead of "SVU" by attracting 10.9 million viewers, compaired to 9.8 million for "SVU". These numbers show that "Race" has increased its audience by nearly 3/4 of a million viewers since its return two weeks ago.

CBS noted it was airing "Race" at a later time to give it a bump in the ratings from lead-in "Big Brother", and the strategy is paying off. Although "BB" runner-up Allison and her ex-boyfriend Donny were eliminated last week, viewers didn't seem to lose interest in the Emmy winning series. Speaking of which, although it too won its time period, "BB" only managed to pull in a 6.1 rating.

Although "Race" has only 3 episode under its belt, it is clearly off and running this summer.

thats great news!
    Kick some ass...get some later...

woo hoo go TAR!!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    That's amazing new! What is that number in the amount of viewers, is it more than the last two weeks?

That's great news, I hope TAR continues to gain viewer's every week.

Yaaaaaaaaaay wow the emmy award did boost up some ratings this season

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by baskiddball
    That's amazing new! What is that number in the amount of viewers, is it more than the last two weeks?
    Here is the three week track of viewers for TAR5...

Episode 1 (7/6; 90 mins.)...10.3 million

Episode 2 (7/13)...10.5 million

Episode 3 (7/20)...10.9 million

Note: Keep in mind that TAR5 only faced regular competition on weeks one and three. MLB's All-Star Game on Fox aired on 7/13 and was the week's number one rated program.

According to other sources, this is the first time that "Race" has increased viewership for the first three episodes without a "Survivor" lead-in. TAR2 saw its ratings jump durings weeks 2 and 3 after it aired following "Survivor" (ratings then came tumbling back down for week 4). "Race" will make history next week if it can increase viewers again.

It may finally be TAR's time to shine...

Ep1 viewers didn't convince me that TAR5 would be much different than TAR4, since it only drew about 400k more viewers than TAR4 premiere did. Was it BB, was it Alison?

Ep2 viewers started to make me think it was finally happening. Rather than DROPPING by OVER 1.5 million viewers (like TAR3 ep2, and TAR4 ep2 did after their premieres did okay), TAR5 ep2 actually went up 200k over its premiere, and that was with special programming (MLB All-Star game) against it that evening. Could it still be BB / Alison? The next week would finally tell us something since she would be gone.

The preliminary numbers for ep3 (10.9m) are fantastic news. It means yet another week-over-week increase. And it continues to out-perform BB, and there was no Alison. I wouldn't be surprised if she did actually draw in some of these increased numbers during her brief appearance, but they've obviously discovered what a great show it is, with or without her. For that, if it is the case, I thank her dearly, and we all should. She did not do any harm to the show, and she may have helped it.

FYI. TAR5, ep3, was the 51st episode of TAR ever. (There have actually been 56 hours of TAR, but only 51 episodes, since 2 have been 90-minutes, and 4 have been 2-hours.) If the 10.9 million viewers number holds up in the final numbers, it would be the 7th highest viewed episode...

TOP TEN VIEWED TAR EPISODES
    1. TAR1, finale, on after "Survivor", 13.7m
    2. TAR2, ep3, on after "Survivor", 13.3m
    3. TAR2, ep2, on after "Survivor", 12.5m
    4. TAR1, premiere, 11.8m
    5. TAR2, 2hr finale, 11.3m
    6. TAR3, 2hr finale, 11.0m
    7. TAR5, ep3, ESTIMATED 10.9m
    8(tie). TAR1, ep2, 10.5m
    8(tie). TAR5, ep2, 10.5m
    10. TAR5, premiere, 10.3m

Also, jpoliver, consider this...
    Since TAR5 is the first TAR ever to premiere with more viewers than the previous TAR's finale, we have an even longer streak going.
    TAR4, ep10, 8.10
    TAR4, ep11, 8.30
    TAR4, ep12, 8.70
    TAR4, finale, 9.90
    TAR5, premiere, 10.30
    TAR5, ep2, 10.50
    So, we definitely have 5 consecutive increases, and it looks like TAR5, ep3, may give us 6-in-a-row, if the final numbers match the estimates.

What was the previous longest increasing viewer streak? It was ONLY 2-in-a-row! It had happened 4 times (mid-TAR1, start-TAR2, end-TAR2, end-TAR3).

What is the worst run of dropped viewers in TAR history? Unfortunately, TAR4 started out with 3 consecutive week-over-week DECREASES. Yikes!
    Edited to add.......4 consecutive drops if you consider the TAR4 premiere was lower than the TAR3 finale.
    Last edited by CantGetEnufTAR; 07-21-2004 at 02:24 PM.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    Its the ratings that is most incredible to me...6.9...next week it could go over 7.0 AND it beat the ratings of the TAR3 and TAR2 finales...the last episode that beat it was the survivor boosted March 20th episode of TAR2!!!

AND It tied Law & Order SVU for #1 in the night!!!

This means there's a chance next week TAR will be #1 (by itself) in on Tuesday night!!!
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 07-21-2004 at 03:17 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    TOP TEN VIEWED TAR EPISODES
    1. TAR1, finale, on after "Survivor", 13.7m
    2. TAR2, ep3, on after "Survivor", 13.3m
    3. TAR2, ep2, on after "Survivor", 12.5m
    4. TAR1, premiere, 11.8m
    5. TAR2, 2hr finale, 11.3m
    6. TAR3, 2hr finale, 11.0m
    7. TAR5, ep3, ESTIMATED 10.9m
    8(tie). TAR1, ep2, 10.5m
    8(tie). TAR5, ep2, 10.5m
    10. TAR5, premiere, 10.3m
    It is interesting and encouraging to see that all 3 episodes are included in the top 10 TAR episodes of all time.

For what ever reason(s) it looks like this may finally be the time that TAR finally is able to step out from the shadow of "Survivor" and (to a lesser degree) "Big Brother". Is it the Emmy win? Is it "BB" crossover Alison? Or has TAR finally found favor with the TV gods?

Whatever the reasons, it is striking to note that the third episode of season 5 is thisclose to equalling the viewers who tuned in to the 2nd and 3rd season finales - since those are always the highest rated episodes of the season. If TAR5 keeps up, that #1 ranking may also fall by the wayside soon. Also, episode 3 of TAR5 is less than 1 million viewers away from the highest rated TAR episode without a "Survivor" lead-in.

Finally, while I'm sure the programmers at CBS know more than I do about where to put a series on the schedule, if TAR5 does continue to shatter these previous viewership marks, perhaps the network should hold off on TAR6. After all, why possibly cripple a series that is just finding its momentum. Personally, I would have put on Tuesdays at 9:00 p.m. or Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. Although TAR has struggled on Wednesdays before, CBS is much stronger on that night now, then it was just a year ago. Pushing TAR6 back to mid-season (possibly January 2005) wouldn't seem to be such a bad idea in that context.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast