+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAR Continues to Score in Ratings

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    One "moved" episode could kill the ratings...why not leave TAR at Tuesdays at 10 PM where its proven to be rising successfully?
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 07-22-2004 at 11:17 PM.

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    I think that the reason why ABC's recent "Bachelor" season (with NY Giants back-up QB Jesse Palmer) was considered a failure is because those viewership numbers are lower than the previous seasons. Not being a fan of the series, I don't know the previous seasons' viewership numbers, but I do know that this past season was lower than the one before it.

This is off the subject of TAR, but I did read where ABC is concerned that the male bachelors are 0-5 when it comes to ending up with the person they chose (even the supposedly pious Bachelor Bob). Reportedly, they have a cast a "wealthy, older gentleman" for this fall's "Bachelor".

Back on topic...

If TAR5 episode 3 did draw in 11.1 million viewers, that is an increase of 800,000 since episode 1, just 2 weeks ago. Perhaps CBS should seriously consider keeping TAR off Saturdays this fall. This is what I would personally do if I were a CBS programmer...

Option 1: Move "Clubhouse" to a new night (Saturdays?) and have TAR6 air in its 9 p.m. slot instead. That way, TAR6 will be "book-ended" by popular series "Navy NCIS" and "Judging Amy".

Option 2: Move "Clubhouse" to a new night (Saturdays?) and move "60 Minutes - Wednesday" to Tuesdays at 9 p.m. TAR6 would then air Wednesdays at 8 p.m., leading into "King of Queens". The 8 p.m. hour is totally different than it was when TAR aired there before. Both NBC and ABC are airing new and untested dramas and Fox has the aging and past-its-prime "That 70's Show". The biggest threats would likely be WB's "Smallville" (which has actually lost viewers since moving from Tuesdays) and UPN's "America's Next Top Model III". Since Fox was nice enough to move the "American Idol 4" results half-hour show to 9 p.m., TAR wouldn't have to face that reality juggernaut either.

CBS, if you read these boards, consider this free, unsolicited advice.
    I actually think Tuesday at 10 is the perfect time for TAR because in the fall not only do I think will they attract more viewers, not only will the viewers be used to the time already but also what other competition is there at the 10 o clock hour. However the younger children and school might be an issue, but I think it's a great time

I think this Tuesday's episode will do amazing...why?

One reason is the spread of word which has been working well to rise the ratings. Another is the Democratic convention airing 10 PM on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. However, some of those who watch it on CBS might not notice that the Democratic Convention skips Tuesday which can lead to some accidental viewers which might add .1 - .3 ratings points to TARs rating!

Then again:

On the final night of the 2000 Democratic convention, for instance, CBS reached about 13.5 million homes
    Sure to take a kick out of TARs weekly placement...I'm sure the other networks only get 8-10 million, but 3 nights of it on CBS brings it down from 10th -> 14th.

However, Law & Order on Wednesday, Without a Trace on Thursday, and CSI: Miami on Monday are out of th running bringing it back to 11th. Another point which has been proven with the All-Star game that viewership in general is declining, while TAR is rising. This could possibly mean TAR could rise to over 12 million (with new and accidental viewres) and the convention could go under 12 million leading to TAR being VERY high in the rankings (with those 3 shows gone and TAR with 12 million....about a 7.5 rating will put it in 3rd-5th place for the week).
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 07-23-2004 at 03:41 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by baskiddball
    I actually think Tuesday at 10 is the perfect time for TAR because in the fall not only do I think will they attract more viewers, not only will the viewers be used to the time already but also what other competition is there at the 10 o clock hour. However the younger children and school might be an issue, but I think it's a great time
    Tuesday at 10 p.m. this fall is a very tough time period. For starters, you have NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" which ranked about #20 for the entire season last year and you also have the final season of ABC's "NYPD Blue". Usually series in their last year see an increase in viewership from former viewers returning to see how things end and other reasons. With these two series in the rotation, CBS would be unlikely to tamper with the hour. After all, "Judging Amy" has survived and thrived at 10 p.m. Why would CBS potentially damage TAR and "Amy" at the same time?

One thing to keep in mind is that although TAR is giving "SVU" some competition, these episodes are reruns - and dramas traditionally don't do as well in reruns as comedies. Beating a rerun of "SVU" is one thing, but beating or being competitive with an original episode is an entirely different game.

In my opinion, CBS would be more likely to continue with its plan to move TAR to Saturdays than to leave it on Tuesdays at 10 p.m. this fall.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    ...However, Law & Order on Wednesday, Without a Trace on Thursday, and CSI: Miami on Monday are out of th running bringing it back to 11th...This could possibly mean TAR could rise to over 12 million (with new and accidental viewres) and the convention could go under 12 million leading to TAR being VERY high in the rankings (with those 3 shows gone and TAR with 12 million....about a 7.5 rating will put it in 3rd-5th place for the week).
    Actually, just a correction to make. "CSI: Miami" and "Law & Order" will still be aired next week during the Democratic National Convention coverage. Both series will air an hour earlier than normal; "CSI: Miami" at 9 p.m. on Monday and "Law & Order" at 9 p.m. on Wednesday.

I know, what I meant by out of the running was when times change, so does viewership!!! The ratings for those shows will be MUCH lower. Which hopefully will also throw Everybody Loves Raymond and 2.5 Men out of the running too when viewers notice a different show is on...I think TAR will do extremely well in the rankings this week.

And Law & Order is on every Wednesday at 9 PM...it does worse than TAR (about 5.5 rating compared to TAR's 6.9)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    I think this Tuesday's episode will do amazing...why?

One reason is the spread of word which has been working well to rise the ratings. Another is the Democratic convention airing 10 PM on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. However, some of those who watch it on CBS might not notice that the Democratic Convention skips Tuesday which can lead to some accidental viewers which might add .1 - .3 ratings points to TARs rating!

Then again:

Sure to take a kick out of TARs weekly placement...I'm sure the other networks only get 8-10 million, but 3 nights of it on CBS brings it down from 10th -> 14th.

However, Law & Order on Wednesday, Without a Trace on Thursday, and CSI: Miami on Monday are out of th running bringing it back to 11th. Another point which has been proven with the All-Star game that viewership in general is declining, while TAR is rising. This could possibly mean TAR could rise to over 12 million (with new and accidental viewres) and the convention could go under 12 million leading to TAR being VERY high in the rankings (with those 3 shows gone and TAR with 12 million....about a 7.5 rating will put it in 3rd-5th place for the week).
    Well I know TAR has been rising but 12 million is a little too much to ask for, at least IMO. But hopefully it will be in the top 10 or even a little bit better. 3-5 is a little too much to ask for. Don't you think that in the fall TAR's viewers will rise. It will carry on the fans from this TAR and then so many people that dont watch tv in the summer will tune in. However, there is always more challenge in the fall.

If TAR has saturdays in the fall it probably won't rise and probably will fall.

I think most of us didn't expect TAR to reach 11 million viewers this quick...did we? SVU's ratings are falling and NYPD 24/7's ratings aren't too grand either. Add that to the accidental Democratic Convention viewers and i think there is definately a chance there could be 11.7+ viewers in this next ep with at least a 7.2 rating.

One question sonic. Does the denominator of the rating have to be out of 11 and then you multiply by 1 550 000. becuase some of the ratings or out of three and so on and it doesn't always equal the rating.

THat would be incredible if it reached 12 million by this season, I just dont know where all the viewers are coming from. usually a show goes down after its premier but somehow this keeps going up

Woah...you are getting things mixed up the denominator is not part of the rating...its the SHARE.

The RATING is for households. This is the amount of houses tuned into the show...its the ratings x 1.087, which in Ep3 would be 6.9 x 1.087 which is 7,500,300 households. Now viewers has little relations to the households, as sometimes 1 person is watching TV in a house, and sometimes as much as 6 people can be watching TVs in a house.

The Denominator is the SHARE. Take all the households (not viewers, households) watching TV which would be 100%. Then take the households watching TAR. That percent of ppl watching TAR compared to ppl watching TV is the SHARE. In episode 3, there was a 12 share which means that 12% of those watching TV watched TAR.

Incredible if it reached 12 million? So far with this season and how its going up...the finale is likely to be over 13 (and possibly 14) million viewers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast