+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recap 7/13 ~ “I won’t tell you who lost, but I’m happy”

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    ... Charla and Mirna. The other racers are thrilled to see them… if by thrilled I really mean pissed off. Once in Buenos Aires they get to the cemetery with no problems, and enjoy the scenery along the way. Inside the cemetery gates they see a man driving a flat bed truck and Mirna tells him that the little lady can’t make it and they need a ride. Now, I know they said they would use that as a strategy, but it still makes me cringe when they do. If you want to be treated the same, act the same. The driver is willing to take them, and as stated above, willing to leave Linda and Karen behind. This also bothers me as Charla and Mirna have mentioned many times that none of the racers will help them, yet they are unwilling to help any of the racers. Again, it’s fine not to help, but if you don’t help, then don’t complain about not being helped. jeez, Cali, get off the damn soap box already… Sorry.
    Don't get off your soapbox! That was exactly what I was thinking too. It really bugs me when people want to have things both ways. If you want to brag about how you are just as good as everybody else and will kick their butts without needing any special help, then DON'T go around acting pitiful and try to GET special help all the time!!

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    Originally Posted by cali
    ... Charla and Mirna. The other racers are thrilled to see them… if by thrilled I really mean pissed off. Once in Buenos Aires they get to the cemetery with no problems, and enjoy the scenery along the way. Inside the cemetery gates they see a man driving a flat bed truck and Mirna tells him that the little lady can’t make it and they need a ride. Now, I know they said they would use that as a strategy, but it still makes me cringe when they do. If you want to be treated the same, act the same. The driver is willing to take them, and as stated above, willing to leave Linda and Karen behind. This also bothers me as Charla and Mirna have mentioned many times that none of the racers will help them, yet they are unwilling to help any of the racers. Again, it’s fine not to help, but if you don’t help, then don’t complain about not being helped. jeez, Cali, get off the damn soap box already… Sorry.

Well, I would assume that you would expect for someone to totally disagree with you and I think that I'm that guy. First of all Charla has an incredible disadvantage no matter how much you look at it. The fact that she takes that disadvantage and turns it into an ADVANTAGE is absolutely genius. I hope they keep using it, because it is a perfect strategy. Now when you say that they always want help but don't offer it. That is double sided. We could say that no one helps Charla and Mirna so why should they help them. Your recap is great I just like to defend these two since they are the ones I'm rooting for to win! Anyways this is all just my opinion and I know that what you said is only your opinion. So no more soap box for me

Quote Originally Posted by baskiddball
    Originally Posted by cali

Well, I would assume that you would expect for someone to totally disagree with you and I think that I'm that guy. First of all Charla has an incredible disadvantage no matter how much you look at it. The fact that she takes that disadvantage and turns it into an ADVANTAGE is absolutely genius. I hope they keep using it, because it is a perfect strategy. Now when you say that they always want help but don't offer it. That is double sided. We could say that no one helps Charla and Mirna so why should they help them. Your recap is great I just like to defend these two since they are the ones I'm rooting for to win! Anyways this is all just my opinion and I know that what you said is only your opinion. So no more soap box for me
    I would agree if they didn't keep harping about how independent they are and how strong Charla is (btw, I think she's stronger than her whiny cousin!). You can't have it both ways. Stop whining that others are not helping and then accepting help and saying how strong you are.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Exactly

It's the unearned bragging that is bothersome. Just like Flo being dragged and carried along by Zac the whole race and when they stumble into winning she brags about how a woman finally won the race. Grrrrr. :phhht

I'm still dumbfounded about the Ferry

First of all, great recap Cali! I loved it!

Posted by Cali: "When we return we learn that for some reason the port authorities have decided to have the ferry stop and pick up Charla and Mirna. "

I haven't found much discussion about this, but to me, it invalidates the whole race. Why was the ferry waiting for them???? I love Charla and Mirna, but they should have lost since they missed the ferry.
    Peace is Patriotic

They also should have lost when they got some stranger to help them out (again) by carrying their bags for them so they could focus on just carrying the beef.

I'm *way* behind reading stuff here, so a little late to this discussion, but had to put in my $0.02.

Regarding The Cousins making the 4:30 ferry. It's basically public transportation, just like any plane, train, bus, etc., that they use so often. There is a schedule yes, but how often are transportation departures late? Pretty often in my experience. Now, I'll admit, I've never been on a ferry in South America, so maybe they run a pretty tight ship (get it?) down there. But, I'd guess it was just late leaving and they managed to *just* get there in time.

There have been FAR too many times in the past when teams have literally by seconds, or a minute or two, JUST made (or JUST missed) various forms of transport. Some of those near makes (or misses) probably ended up making differences in the standings. But I REALLY don't think the show meddles in holding up transport.

If I remember correctly, on the ferry at least one of the other teams was shown commenting something like "it was supposed to leave at 4:30", as if it were just late leaving.

And I say a big "come on now!" to any theory that says the show was behind the delay of the ferry departure.

There probably was not even any production crew (ie higher ups) around there. It was probably just the teams and their 2-man crews. Maybe since all of the teams were jammed together it would be likely that some of the roaming security/medical crew was there as well.

And, this was only like 3 or 4 days into the month-long race. The Cousins have provided some pure comedy gold through Cairo, but as of then (the ferry) do you really think anyone would've wanted to do anything to "help" them stay in the race. No? Me either!
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234