+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Which team will use the "yield" first?

FORT Fogey
    You have to yield a team that's behind you... which makes it kinda not so great imo

FORT Fogey
    There are at least three strategies for using the yield:

#1. Say a team is near the bottom of the pack, with the Pit Stop rapidly approaching. Let's also say that the only team behind them is more physically fit and gaining rapidly. The Yield could really save a team such as Mirna & Charla or Bob & Joyce.

#2. Say a team is in the middle of the pack (or better), and they suspect that one of the usually better teams is having a rough day. They could use the Yield to finish of the dangerous team. (Sort of a "kick 'em when their down" strategy.)

#3. Say a team has at least two teams behind them, and one of the teams has some sort of an alliance with them. They could use the yield on the other team as a method of protecting their allies.

There are almost certainly other possibilities, but those are some of the more obvious ones. If the yields are used intelligently, they will add quite a bit of strategy and excitement to the game.

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    That cant be true, that you can only use the yield against someone behind you because int he second race no one even found it. I think when someone uses the yield, the cameraman or whoever is following them calls the other to notify and they just stop right there!

<Insert Title Here> Defiant_Deviant's Avatar
    It is true. In the first episode, Phil does explain specifically that teams can only yield other teams behind them, and that the yielded team must turn the hour glass at the Yield post and wait until the sand runs out.

Also once Alison and Donny came across it and spoke outloud for the camera that they weren't being yielded and that they were not going to yield anyone, I kinda got the impression that teams had to actually encounter the yield in order to check if they were being yielded, rather than having production call the yielded team's crew to inform the yielded team, "You have to go here now. You're being yielded and have to watch the sand go."

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    LOL ooooooooooooook so the last team cant use the yield if they are behind but it can help them if someone else uses them.

I kinda got the impression that teams had to actually encounter the yield in order to check if they were being yielded, rather than having production call the yielded team's crew to inform the yielded team, "You have to go here now. You're being yielded and have to watch the sand go."

I'm sorry, but that really made me laugh. I guess that sounds a lot more tv friendly than one team's crew calling the other. So basically every team NEEDS to go to the yield to check if they are yielded, but what happens if they miss it?

Just wanted to point out that, on this last episode, we finally catch a glimpse of the Yield point. It's on the Battleship Aurora, right by the cluebox. (You can clearly see it in the background when Kami & Karli are reading their clue.)

This is the first time (since the first episode) that we know where the Yield point was located.

You can also see Colin and Christie standing by the yield on the CBS website in the pictures section

thanks AmazingRaceMan!

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRaceMan
    You can also see Colin and Christie standing by the yield on the CBS website in the pictures section
    thanks AmazingRaceMan,
    I hadn't checked this week's pictures on CBS.com until you reminded me.

I believe they won't show the yield until a team actually uses it... I think no one wants to use the yield because of Karmic reasons... kind of like "damn that Kami and Karli, yielded me last leg... take that Oregon!" That's why I believe the yield won't be used until the last leg or two (so it won't come back to bite anyone in the patootie).

There might also be "yield alliances" coming into play, you know a kind of agreement to not yield us, and we won't yield you.

Now what I'm wondering while looking at the yield picture on cbs.com is do the teams mark that they've passed by the yield, so other teams know not to yield them? Part of me says yes, because it looks like Colin is writing something, checking a box maybe to say we've been here... Part of me says no because that'd be an easy way for the teams to know where they are in the race ya know? Granted it *might* be editing, but you never hear any teams saying "hey we're ahead of the twins we just passed the yield and they haven't indicated that they've been there..."

no problem eskoska

Quote Originally Posted by Eskoska

Now what I'm wondering while looking at the yield picture on cbs.com is do the teams mark that they've passed by the yield, so other teams know not to yield them? Part of me says yes, because it looks like Colin is writing something, checking a box maybe to say we've been here... Part of me says no because that'd be an easy way for the teams to know where they are in the race ya know? Granted it *might* be editing, but you never hear any teams saying "hey we're ahead of the twins we just passed the yield and they haven't indicated that they've been there..."
    It was either on one of the Insider video's or somewhere on the show discussion that when a team get's to the yield box they can look in and see what teams are behind them since the Production Staff keeps pictures of teams who are behind a given team (the team looking into the yield box) inside the yield box. They can then decide if they want to use the yield.

I have a feeling we might not see the yield put to use until some of the last few legs of the race ...
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

+ Reply to Thread